Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.75

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$47.98
16 hrs ago
The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Babylon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.59
1 hr ago
B: The Beginning: Season One (Blu-ray)
$73.49
13 hrs ago
Hajime No Ippo the Fighting! Fighting Spirit Collection 02 (Blu-ray)
$42.49
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA
Default Disney’s Streaming Loki Series

Well here we go:

Quote:
Loki, Scarlet Witch, Other Marvel Heroes to Get Own TV Series on Disney Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE)

Disney is enlisting Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the company prepares to launch its upcoming streaming service. The entertainment giant is in early development on an ambitious plan for a number of limited series centered on popular characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These series will likely include shows centered on Loki and the Scarlet Witch, along with other beloved superheroes who have yet to appear in their own standalone movies.

Marvel and Disney had no comment.

There’s an important distinction from other Marvel small screen efforts, however. The actors who portrayed these heroes and villains in the Avengers films and their spin-offs, such as Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, are expected to play them in the streaming shows. Moreover, though sources close to the production are staying mum on the cost of the programming, the budgets are expected to be hefty rivaling those of a major studio productions. Each series is expected to include six to eight episodes. Marvel Studios will produce the shows and Kevin Feige, the guru of all things MCU, is expected to take a hands-on role in their development.

The pricey gamble with one of the crown jewels of the Disney film empire is a sign of how much the company has riding on its direct-to-consumer platform. As companies such as Netflix and Amazon continue to grow their user base, Disney is trying to find a way to establish a toehold in the streaming revolution upending Hollywood. The company has kept the details of the service close to the vest, beyond saying that it will likely cost less than Netflix and will launch at some point in late 2019.

Disney has already started to unwind its licensing deals in order to put as much premium content on the platform as possible. That’s meant that the company is forfeiting billions of dollars in profit, as well as shouldering the cost of developing the technology. The company has announced a number of high-profile projects, including a Star Wars series overseen by “Jungle Book” director Jon Favreau, a show based on “High School Musical,” and a live-action “Lady and the Tramp” film. The company also plans to offer several new releases when it launches, including its live-action “Dumbo” film and “Captain Marvel.”

Many of these projects are expensive bets. The Star Wars series will reportedly cost $100 million and the movies are expected to carry budgets north of $25 million. However, Disney has to spend big to make an impression. Netflix, its main rival, has 125 million subscribers globally and has lured top talent like Ryan Murphy (“American Horror Story”), Kenya Barris (“Black-ish”), and Shonda Rhimes (“Grey’s Anatomy”) to its platform with record-setting deals.

The Marvel series are in early development and writers have yet to be attached to the projects. Marvel TV Studios and Disney have been active with shows that include ABC’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and Netflix’s “Daredevil,” but sources say those shows will stay under Marvel TV banner with these limited series set under Marvel Studios.

Storylines for each series are still being teased out, but Disney appears to be holding back some significant fire power for the big screen. Insiders stress the Avengers that have gotten their own movies like Iron Man and Captain America will not be featured in the series with the studios focusing on characters who have served as second tier characters in the MCU.

When all is said and done, the Avengers shows could be the streaming service’s most ambitious project both in terms of their scope and budget. Most important, it gives the service something that will attract comic book fans and represents the type of content Netflix would love to get its hands on.

Last edited by doctorD; 09-19-2018 at 04:06 AM. Reason: To add content
Old 09-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Knowhere

Thanks given by:
yanksno1 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013

This is incredible. Only downside is Disney will probably never releases these on blu, which will be a huge shame.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

Nov 2009

@doctor Jack : of course ist not gonna be released on blu - not that soon -
Disney want know having People on their own Streaming Service and they're butchering/milking now the "Loki"-Verse

And I suppose it will not gonna be available in the german speaking part that soon
Old 09-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Expert Member

May 2018
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissangel4616 View Post

And I suppose it will not gonna be available in the german speaking part that soon
probably not, because the european goverment will make a new law, that streaming content available in Europe have to be at least 30% produced in the Europe Union. If not, no Allowed to show their Streaming network or the network have to pay an extra fee to the european goverment as punishment.

And I don't know if Disney will reach the 30% level on their network
Old 09-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawasdee1983 View Post
probably not, because the european goverment will make a new law, that streaming content available in Europe have to be at least 30% produced in the Europe Union. If not, no Allowed to show their Streaming network or the network have to pay an extra fee to the european goverment as punishment.

And I don't know if Disney will reach the 30% level on their network
Sounds like a good initiative to me!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
This is incredible. Only downside is Disney will probably never releases these on blu, which will be a huge shame.
Agreed. Though part of me is holding out for it being something like a Disney Movie Club exclusive or something.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
That was my exact thought as well, great it's happening, but also greeeat now we won't get it on BD. Though, seems like streaming shows is all Disney is releasing, albeit slowly... but those are on Netflix so it was probably Disney's way of getting revenue from something that's not 100% theirs. With their own streaming service it probably will be different. Hopefully they at least get released in the UK and if they are, I won't wait around to see if the US gets them.

I fully intended to not subscribe to Disney's service, but now I'll probably wait until both shows have "aired", subscribe and watch them both, then cancel lol
Old 09-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jan 2009

Just like other streaming services (Example Mr. Mercedes) I doubt we will ever get this on Blu-Ray or 4K Blu-ray and not happy that this major studios starting their own streaming service such as Disney/MCU and DCU a lot of us have a budget so it would be nice this studios will release them on Blu-Ray I doubt it would ever be available to purchase on Amazon Prime streaming or on iTunes.

Only other streaming I love is Shudder because they offer sometimes free subscription for a month even if you were previously subscribed and cancelled after when the free subscription was over.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Will we see Disney go risque and offer something more than a G-rated Loki?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
Will we see Disney go risque and offer something more than a G-rated Loki?
Nope!
Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 AM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Ohh they're separate shows about each character? For some reason initially I thought this was one show that both Loki and Scarlet Witch would co-lead, and I was so confused lol
Old 09-21-2018, 04:51 AM   #13
Special Member

Jul 2013
THE 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
Just like other streaming services (Example Mr. Mercedes) I doubt we will ever get this on Blu-Ray or 4K Blu-ray and not happy that this major studios starting their own streaming service such as Disney/MCU and DCU a lot of us have a budget so it would be nice this studios will release them on Blu-Ray I doubt it would ever be available to purchase on Amazon Prime streaming or on iTunes.

Only other streaming I love is Shudder because they offer sometimes free subscription for a month even if you were previously subscribed and cancelled after when the free subscription was over.
Shudder is the best deal going right now. I love that platform. And while I'm intrigued by Disney's aggressive approach, I worry about the plethora of streaming services on the horizon. Pretty soon we'll have to have ten or more of these freaking things!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Banned

Aug 2018

Old 11-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
In The Pages of DC Comics

Disney+ is also assembling a live-action series centered around a fan-favorite character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iger today confirmed that Marvel Studios is developing a series based on Loki, the god of mischief, to star Tom Hiddleston.

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com...aming-service/
Old 02-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Update:

Quote:
Marvel's 'Loki' Series Lands 'Rick and Morty' Writer (Exclusive)

Marvel’s god of mischief has a showrunner.

Loki, one of the first series that Marvel Studios will be making for Disney’s streaming service, Disney+, has landed Michael Waldron as its point person. Waldron will write the pilot, act as show creator and exec produce the series.

Tom Hiddleston is expected to star in the series, reprising the fan-favorite character he first played in 2011’s Thor.

The character apparently met his demise in last year’s Avengers: Infinity War, even before the census-altering dematerialization of half the universe, but Marvel may have found a run around that little impediment.

Sources say the show will follow Loki as the trickster and shape-shifter pops up throughout human history as an unlikely influencer on historical events.

Marvel had no comment.

Marvel is working on several series that will debut on Disney+. Other known series are The Vision and Scarlet Witch, being run by Captain Marvel writer Jac Schaeffer, while another will focus on a team-up of Falcon and Winter Soldier, the heroes played by Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan, respectively. Malcolm Spellman (Empire) has been hired to write the latter effort.

Waldron hails from Atlanta and began his screenwriting career under Dan Harmon and Dino Stamatopoulos at Starburns Industries. In 2017, he served as creator and showrunner for the writers' room on Heels, Starz’s pilot that centered on two rival brothers. Currently, he is developing Florida Man with Steven Soderbergh for Paramount Network and is writing and producing on the upcoming season of Cartoon Network’s acclaimed Rick and Morty.

Waldron also wrote The Worst Guy of All Time (and the Girl Who Came to Kill Him), a sci-fi rom-com feature spec script that landed him high atop the 2018 Black List. The project now has Greg Silverman producing for Quibi.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #17

Nov 2018

I am sorry but is Tom going to reprise Loki in this series?
Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_Wolf View Post
I am sorry but is Tom going to reprise Loki in this series?
Yes.
Thanks given by:
Cold_Wolf (02-16-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Knowhere

Tom Hiddleston Reveals ‘Loki’ Is Six Hours, Teases Foes “the Like of Which He Has Never Seen”

http://collider.com/loki-tv-show-details/
Old 08-17-2019, 04:55 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Lord View Post
Tom Hiddleston Reveals ‘Loki’ Is Six Hours, Teases Foes “the Like of Which He Has Never Seen”

http://collider.com/loki-tv-show-details/
Kind of wish it was more, 8 or so, but at least it's not 13 like Netflix was for the most part.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows