Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
The Umbrella Academy: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
16 hrs ago
Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37
1 day ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.19
19 hrs ago
Kaiji: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.93

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$156.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 09-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA
Default Disney+'s "WandaVision" Season 1

Another Disney Streaming service:

Quote:
Loki, Scarlet Witch, Other Marvel Heroes to Get Own TV Series on Disney Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE)

Disney is enlisting Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the company prepares to launch its upcoming streaming service. The entertainment giant is in early development on an ambitious plan for a number of limited series centered on popular characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These series will likely include shows centered on Loki and the Scarlet Witch, along with other beloved superheroes who have yet to appear in their own standalone movies.

Marvel and Disney had no comment.

There’s an important distinction from other Marvel small screen efforts, however. The actors who portrayed these heroes and villains in the Avengers films and their spin-offs, such as Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, are expected to play them in the streaming shows. Moreover, though sources close to the production are staying mum on the cost of the programming, the budgets are expected to be hefty rivaling those of a major studio productions. Each series is expected to include six to eight episodes. Marvel Studios will produce the shows and Kevin Feige, the guru of all things MCU, is expected to take a hands-on role in their development.

The pricey gamble with one of the crown jewels of the Disney film empire is a sign of how much the company has riding on its direct-to-consumer platform. As companies such as Netflix and Amazon continue to grow their user base, Disney is trying to find a way to establish a toehold in the streaming revolution upending Hollywood. The company has kept the details of the service close to the vest, beyond saying that it will likely cost less than Netflix and will launch at some point in late 2019.

Disney has already started to unwind its licensing deals in order to put as much premium content on the platform as possible. That’s meant that the company is forfeiting billions of dollars in profit, as well as shouldering the cost of developing the technology. The company has announced a number of high-profile projects, including a Star Wars series overseen by “Jungle Book” director Jon Favreau, a show based on “High School Musical,” and a live-action “Lady and the Tramp” film. The company also plans to offer several new releases when it launches, including its live-action “Dumbo” film and “Captain Marvel.”

Many of these projects are expensive bets. The Star Wars series will reportedly cost $100 million and the movies are expected to carry budgets north of $25 million. However, Disney has to spend big to make an impression. Netflix, its main rival, has 125 million subscribers globally and has lured top talent like Ryan Murphy (“American Horror Story”), Kenya Barris (“Black-ish”), and Shonda Rhimes (“Grey’s Anatomy”) to its platform with record-setting deals.

The Marvel series are in early development and writers have yet to be attached to the projects. Marvel TV Studios and Disney have been active with shows that include ABC’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and Netflix’s “Daredevil,” but sources say those shows will stay under Marvel TV banner with these limited series set under Marvel Studios.

Storylines for each series are still being teased out, but Disney appears to be holding back some significant fire power for the big screen. Insiders stress the Avengers that have gotten their own movies like Iron Man and Captain America will not be featured in the series with the studios focusing on characters who have served as second tier characters in the MCU.

When all is said and done, the Avengers shows could be the streaming service’s most ambitious project both in terms of their scope and budget. Most important, it gives the service something that will attract comic book fans and represents the type of content Netflix would love to get its hands on.
Thanks given by:
kngtmat (09-22-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Tucson, Az USA

WoW. With an absolute endless supply of stories and spin-offs and stand alones the possibilities are endless! Pretty Ballsy of the Mouse House. Then again, they are gonna have to do more than just rely on their past movies, Fox aquisitions, to make a dent in the streaming world. Netflix & Amazon have a HUGE head start. But, if any current company can do it, they can. Things gonna get interesting!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

This might be where the Boba Fett, Solo, and Obi-Wan spin-off are heading.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:49 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014

Sign me the **** up for more Elizabeth Olsen
Thanks given by:
kngtmat (09-22-2018), Monstar (09-23-2018), Monterey Jack (09-22-2018), ps3bd_owner (11-11-2020)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:53 AM   #5
Banned

Aug 2018

Thanks given by:
kngtmat (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:41 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Pillars of Creation

C'mon! Give me the team up of the MCU's Odd Couple of Winter Soldier and Falcon
Thanks given by:
kngtmat (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
Banned

Oct 2016

Dear Disney,

I want to watch both of these shows. However, I will only agree to do so based on the following terms:

1) The original actors continue to play the roles.
2) Each season is 10 episodes maximum. None of this 20+ episodes per season garbage that network TV puts out.
3) The show actually woks into the current MCU. None of this Agents of Shield of The Defenders garbage where the show is loosely in the MCU but really isn't.

Sincerely,
A Potential Customer
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (09-23-2018), MattJ1991 (09-24-2018), Monstar (09-23-2018), Monterey Jack (09-23-2018), Poya (09-23-2018), smax-3 (03-01-2019)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:53 AM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMan View Post
Dear Disney,

I want to watch both of these shows. However, I will only agree to do so based on the following terms:

2) Each season is 10 episodes maximum. None of this 20+ episodes per season garbage that network TV puts out.
3) The show actually woks into the current MCU. None of this Agents of Shield of The Defenders garbage where the show is loosely in the MCU but really isn't.

Sincerely,
A Potential Customer
I agree with all of this. Elizabeth Olsen is a must for me.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:08 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

it's gonna come down to money. if they pay her well, I'm sure she will do it. also, that has to fit into the overall budget, because I'm sure they don't want these things to look cheap.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #10
Banned

Oct 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
it's gonna come down to money. if they pay her well, I'm sure she will do it. also, that has to fit into the overall budget, because I'm sure they don't want these things to look cheap.
The production value will be interesting. I highly doubt they will put $10 Million per episode into one of these shows like they are with Star Wars. But it can't look as cheap as a network show like Agents of Shield.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Dear Disney,

Sincerely,
A Potential Customer
Agreed on all this. Plus an Iron Man show with RDJ for the first season and then Riri Williams for the 2nd.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2015

Quote:
None of this 20+ episodes per season garbage that network TV puts out.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Dear Disney,

Sincerely,
A Potential Customer
Boy, you crazy...Who wouldn't want 20 episodes of Elizabeth Olsen
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (09-23-2018), kngtmat (09-23-2018), Star Lord (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post
Boy, you crazy...Who wouldn't want 20 episodes of Elizabeth Olsen
True.
Thanks given by:
kngtmat (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #15
Banned

Oct 2016

Because 20 episode seasons take story lines and string them along for too long that it hurts the integrity of the story.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Because 20 episode seasons take story lines and string them along for too long that it hurts the integrity of the story.
I can only imagine your frustration of watching a 276 episode season of Guiding Light.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

The issue isn't that there are 20 episodes. It's how they use them. Unfortunately, writers/studios tend to have one story arc stretch for 20ish episodes. They could just as easily divide 20 eps season into 2-3 different story arcs.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2013
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung122212 View Post
The issue isn't that there are 20 episodes. It's how they use them. Unfortunately, writers/studios tend to have one story arc stretch for 20ish episodes. They could just as easily divide 20 eps season into 2-3 different story arcs.
Isn't that what Agents of SHIELD does? They have 24 episodes a season and break it apart with three 8 episode story arcs.

The Walking Dead has 16 episodes a season, and generally covers two storylines.

Arrow and The Flash among other CW shows on the other hand stretch out an entire storyline across 24 episodes and it gets tiresome.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Dear Disney,

Sincerely,
A Potential Customer
I don't see how TV can be worked into movie plots. TV is written sometimes up to a week before the episode films, and then a week later it airs... Movies are written months to years in advance, and could take up to a year or longer to finally be released. If they mention a TV event, it would have happened like 3 years prior to when we finally see the movie.

But yes, you can't do a TV show based on Loki and Scarlet Witch and then not have Hiddleston and Olsen. I wouldn't watch if they want to be that stupid and cast other people.

Quote:
Isn't that what Agents of SHIELD does? They have 24 episodes a season and break it apart with three 8 episode story arcs.

Arrow and The Flash among other CW shows on the other hand stretch out an entire storyline across 24 episodes and it gets tiresome.
Season 4 was split up in 3 different 'pods' but season 5 was basically one storyline again, with a few points where the focus slightly changes.

Last edited by kevin87; 09-23-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

Quote:

As Kevin said, AoS only did that for S4. Arrow, The Flash and the other CW shows would definitely benefit by breaking their seasons into story arcs. Especially given how networks tend to go on hiatus.

The Walking Dead does, but they could have done better by shorten storylines, and possibly add another if they didn't want to reduce the number episodes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows