Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
5 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.96
1 day ago
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.65
3 hrs ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Star Trek: Enterprise - Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.48
14 hrs ago
Pure Hearted Girl Et Cetera (Blu-ray)
$25.54
1 day ago
Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$20.77

His Dark Materials: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 11-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA
Default CW's 4400 Reboot

Looks like the show I first saw Mahershala Ali in is coming back in reboot fashion:

Quote:
‘The 4400’ Reboot In the Works At the CW

A cult sci-fi series is eying a comeback. The CW is developing a The 4400, a reimagening of the 2004 USA Network drama. It hails from Craig Sweeny, who got his break as a writer on the original series, Justified alum Taylor Elmore and CBS TV Studios where both are under deals.

The 4400 reboot will be co-written and executive produced by Elmore and Sweeny, with Elmore serving as showrunner as Sweeny is running his new CBS/CBS Studios series The Code.

Over the course of recent history, four thousand four hundred young adults in their reproductive prime have gone missing all over the world—some disappearances happened as recently as a few weeks ago, while others date as far back as the infamous day the Soviets launched the Sputnik satellite in 1957. One day in 2019, all 4,400 show up at the sites of their original abductions. None of them have aged a day; none have any memory of where they’ve been. The so called “4400” must grapple with their return to a changed and hostile world… and also contend with the reality that they’ve come back altered in ways that none of them yet understand.

The 4400, created by Scott Peters and René Echevarria, was part of the first wave of series under USA’s renewed push into original programming in the early 2000s. It followed the successful launches of The Dead Zone and Monk as the network was exploring different genres, including sci-fi, before focusing squarely on blue-sky procedurals.

The 4400, which starred Joel Gretsch and Jacqueline McKenzie, Mahershala Ali and Patrick Flueger, quickly developed a following and ran for four seasons, until the network moved away from genre. It remained a cult favorite and a title in the CBS TV Studios library that the studio brass had been keen on revisiting.

Since The 4400, there have been several other series about the unexplained return of people presumed dead, including The Returned and this season’s Manifest.

In addition to The 4400, the CW is rebooting another cult series this development season, soap The LA Complex.

Sweeny was on The 4400 for its entire four-season run, starting as a writer and rising to supervising producer. He went on to work on Medium and Elementary and to create/exec produce CBS/CBS Studios’ Limitless and co-create/exec produce the upcoming The Code. He is repped by WME and Jackoway Austen.

Elmore serves as executive producer on the upcoming CBS/CBS TV Studios series Blood & Treasure. He spent five years on FX’s Justified, rising to executive producer. His TV series credits also include CBS’ Cold Case and Raines. He is repped by UTA and attorney Bruce Gellman.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

If this is an actual continuation of the original, I'd be down for it, since the original was cut short by the 2008 writer's strike and never had a proper conclusion.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Good thing if they actually finish it this time.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
If this is an actual continuation of the original, I'd be down for it, since the original was cut short by the 2008 writer's strike and never had a proper conclusion.
It's not though, it's going to be people returning in 2019 instead 2004... I liked the first and this one is at least 10 years since the original so it's not SO bad, but it's completely unnecessary, just like Rosewell and Charmed. Plus, I don't want all the CW angst on this show, it'll drag it down and focus on it instead of the storyline and it'll probably be a 2nd version to not get finished. The original also brought them all back to one spot, this is going to be where they were taken, which is going to mean a few episodes are people wandering around not knowing what happened to them.

And why are they rebooting The LA Complex? That was only on air 6 years ago, and CW is who aired it in the US to begin with...
Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Crazy. I remember this show when it first came out. I can't believe how old I feel that show I watched on it's first run is getting a reboot/remake.

Stoked though, it was good!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016
Virginia, U.S.A.

I enjoyed the original show. I hope this goes to series and I will be watching it!
Old 11-18-2018, 02:26 AM   #7
Expert Member

Jan 2009

God I miss the original sad it never got a ending or it least a movie to end because of stupid writers strike sad also USA Network never bothered to give a conclusion even after the writers strike was over what a series finale it was left with answers I wanted to know so bad.

Since this is going to be on CW it will most likely survive even if the ratings are not what they were for the original. But it would have been better it was on cable network again not a local network.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Hawaii
-
-
-

Really loved the original. I also adored the theme song, which fit the mood of the show so perfectly.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (11-18-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
USA

We were watching through season 1 of Friends again, and in the episode when the girls burn all the stuff from their old boyfriends, Joel Gretsch was one of the firemen.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

Mar 2015

Quote:
Actually it was cancelled a bit before the writer's strike happened.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

After 2 years, some casting news:
Quote:
‘4400’: Brittany Adebumola, Jaye Ladymore & Amarr Wooten Join CW Series

EXCLUSIVE: Brittany Adebumola (Grand Army), Jaye Ladymore (The Chi) and Amarr Wooten (Colin in Black & White) are set as series regulars in 4400 (fka The 4400), the CW’s reimagining of the 2004 USA Network sci-fi drama series.

4400 hails from Riverdale co-executive producer Ariana Jackson and Anna Fricke, who successfully rebooted Walker, Texas Ranger for the CW.

In the new version, 4400 overlooked, undervalued, or otherwise marginalized people — two of them played by Joseph David-Jones and Khailah Johnson — who vanished without a trace over the last hundred years are all returned in an instant, having not aged a day and with no memory of what happened to them. As the government races to analyze the potential threat and contain the story, the 4400 themselves must grapple with the fact that they’ve been returned with a few…upgrades, and the increasing likelihood that they were all brought back now for a specific reason.

Adebumola will play Shanice, a driven lawyer, wife and new mother from the year 2005 who is suddenly transported to 2021 only to find that her daughter is now a teenager. She will be a fierce advocate for all those like her who are trying to figure out what happened to them.

Ladymore will portray Claudette, a preacher’s wife from the 1950s who was active in the early Civil Rights Movement. She is surprisingly quick to adapt to 2021 and realizes that she may be a totally different person in this new time — in surprising and consequential ways.

Wooten is Hayden, who arrives in 2021 from the 1930s where he was kept in an institution. Perhaps due to an unpleasant past, he doesn’t appear to speak but is compassionate and seems to have insight and knowledge into things he couldn’t possibly know.

Jackson wrote the pilot episode, which will be directed/co-executive produced by Erica Watson. Executive producing the series are Jackson, Fricke and Laura Terry. CBS Studios, which was behind the original series, is the studio.

Adebumola recurred as Tamika Jones on the hit Netflix series Grand Army. She’s repped by CESD Talent Agency, Authentic Talent & Literary Management and Schreck Rose.

Ladymore began her career in the Chicago theatre scene, appearing at the Goodman, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, Steppenwolf and Writers Theatre among others. She made her TV debut in season 1 of The Chi and also had recurring roles on Empire, Chicago PD and Proven Innocent. She can be seen in the feature films An Acceptable Loss and Killing Eleanor. Ladymore is repped by Stewart Talent
Old 04-08-2021, 04:08 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
After 2 years, some casting news:
There was some news recently as well...

https://deadline.com/2021/03/4400-jo...cw-1234724833/

I loved the original, but this isn't sounding that great. Plus Joseph David Jones is too young to play the type of character that Billy Campbell played in the original.
Thanks given by:
doctorD (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
Columbia, MO

So this is another color/gender change remake? Ugh.

Isn't Manifest sort of similar?
Old 04-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

I had watched the first season or two when it originally aired, but actually went back recently via NetFlix to finish it this time.

The first season is terrific, but wow does it ever go downhill after that. I'm near the end of season 3 and it's getting pretty bad.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #15
Power Member

Dec 2015
Canada

I didn't watch the new Charmed or Roswell and I certainly won't be watching this. Very grateful that the real 4400 had a Blu-ray release, with the complete Charmed on the way as well. Roswell next please. Keep the HD transfers of the originals coming instead of creating bad remakes with the same name.

CW, aren't there still some more books / comic books that Hollywood hasn't adapted yet that you can use for your next show instead?

Before we know it the CW will be doing a reboot of Superman & Lois. Instant reboots! (Lois & Clark and Smallville were both leagues beyond this newest take.)

I don't disagree that the original 4400 started stronger than it ended though.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon K View Post
Very grateful that the real 4400 had a Blu-ray release
It did?
Old 04-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #17
Power Member

Dec 2015
Canada

Quote:
It did?
Let me search that for you...

Old 04-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

Huh. How's the quality...?
Old 04-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #19
Power Member

Dec 2015
Canada

Quote:
Huh. How's the quality...?
I recommend to have a look at the thread here:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=292051

A couple quick excerpts on the quality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon K View Post
Just got the first season the other day - only watched the first episode so far, but very pleased with Koch's treatment of the show and the PQ (probably the best this show could be expected to look given that it was shot digitally, not filmed - minor criticisms likely inherent in the source). Man, keep these scifi TV shows coming Koch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
I checked a few episodes and the quality is ok if nothing to write home about. A bit soft in places. Given the age and budget of the show this is probably the best it's ever going to look.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

The German releases are locked too, the Australian set is untested though Deep Discount says it's region 0... There needs to be some kind of topic where people who have international releases can test them if they're not already checked in the DB here.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows