Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
11 hrs ago
The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
8 hrs ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
6 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
The Phantom of the Opera (Blu-ray)
$13.50
2 hrs ago
Freaky (Blu-ray)
$14.96
2 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Tremors 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49
3 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 09-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #41
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Vilya, I don't go as far as you do, I choose the components and let others do the job of assembling it. And I agree there is a huge difference between going into BestBuy (or equivalent) and getting the machine that is off the shelf and building your own from selected components. In my opinion there is also a big difference between a tower (vertical) and a desktop (horizontal) but I think rdodolak point was that if you read the OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I'm just curious to know if a lot of people here still buy Desktop Computers? The reason I ask is because it seems almost pointless to buy one at this day and age since laptops are so affordable now. I just can't imagine at these cheap prices now why anyone would opt to buy a big bulky PC and spending time hooking up a Desktop instead of buying a nice, compact laptop.
it looks like his real question is more if you were to get a new computer would it be desktop/tower or laptop.
-----------------------
the OP seems to miss the obvious.

1) when I am at my desk I like my 4 screens , real keyboard, mouse and surround sound. So desktop, tower or laptop all the external connections would need to be the same anyway. why would I want to be limited to the components of my laptop/

2) laptops always perform less well the HW and settings are all made to try and prolong battery life, such constraints don't exist for DTs that will always be plugged in

3) DS tend to last longer for two reasons
--- a) not built to be as small so better cooling and aeration
--- b) you don't tend to mishandle them since usually they just sit in the same place their whole life span

4) DTs have more choices (especially if you build it your self) and are more easily upgraded

5) environmentally it is better, no need to change screens and keyboards and mice just because you upgraded your computer

6) yes he is downplaying cost and it is not my cioncern, but for some saving a few bucks might be worth it.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Vilya, I don't go as far as you do, I choose the components and let others do the job of assembling it. And I agree there is a huge difference between going into BestBuy (or equivalent) and getting the machine that is off the shelf and building your own from selected components. In my opinion there is also a big difference between a tower (vertical) and a desktop (horizontal) but I think rdodolak point was that if you read the OP

it looks like his real question is more if you were to get a new computer would it be desktop/tower or laptop.
-----------------------
the OP seems to miss the obvious.

1) when I am at my desk I like my 4 screens , real keyboard, mouse and surround sound. So desktop, tower or laptop all the external connections would need to be the same anyway. why would I want to be limited to the components of my laptop/

2) laptops always perform less well the HW and settings are all made to try and prolong battery life, such constraints don't exist for DTs that will always be plugged in

3) DS tend to last longer for two reasons
--- a) not built to be as small so better cooling and aeration
--- b) you don't tend to mishandle them since usually they just sit in the same place their whole life span

4) DTs have more choices (especially if you build it your self) and are more easily upgraded

5) environmentally it is better, no need to change screens and keyboards and mice just because you upgraded your computer

6) yes he is downplaying cost and it is not my cioncern, but for some saving a few bucks might be worth it.
I only use the word "desktop" to distinguish from a laptop; I actually use a mid tower case that allows plenty of room for expansion and makes it comfortable to work inside it.

The OP seems to prize economy and small physical size above all else and greatly exaggerates the time and effort needed to "hook-up" a desktop/ tower computer. The difference in computing power between a cheap laptop and a higher end custom built desktop/tower computer is immense. I seldom find "cheap" to be worth the price as you lose so much functionality and quality in the so called "bargain."

Last edited by Vilya; 09-01-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #43
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I only use the word "desktop" to distinguish from a laptop; I actually use a mid tower case that allows plenty of room for expansion and makes it comfortable to work inside it.
most people do, but I am an old school computer Nerd from when the OP would have asked desktop or tower and true laptops were more or less sci-fi.

PS I tend to go full tower, better on the floor that way (taller) and more room inside for air. But I agree these days you don't need as many slots.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
most people do, but I am an old school computer Nerd from when the OP would have asked desktop or tower and true laptops were more or less sci-fi.

PS I tend to go full tower, better on the floor that way (taller) and more room inside for air. But I agree these days you don't need as many slots.
I keep my tower at the same height from the floor as the top of my desk; the case fans draw in far less dust with my tower not being at floor level.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:24 AM   #45
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
I keep my tower at the same height from the floor as the top of my desk; the case fans draw in far less dust with my tower not being at floor level.
my tower is tall and almost hits the underside of my desk, lol. so if i were to raise it up, the top fans wouldn't be able to vent. but the tower is on wheels so it raised a little bit.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #46
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I did not mean literally on the floor, just not on the desk. I built my own desk a long time ago one side there are three drawers and on the other there is an open area for a tower with a pull out shelf several inches off the ground

kind of like
[Show spoiler]
without the door and keyboard tray
Old 09-13-2019, 03:34 AM   #47

Dec 2017

I still prefer buying desktop computers because the hardware can be upgraded easily.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #48
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (09-22-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 AM   #49

Sep 2016
-
-
-
-

Lol, I just use NUCs nowadays so teeny-tiny desktops with mobile components. With 1-2TB SSD and 32GB RAM, off-the-shelf laptops or pre-built Ultra-SFF desktops would cost significantly more even when you factor the Windows license. Plus, I like the NUC's footprint.

Don't game so tablets serve me well for the most part. The desktop is there as always-on server, iTunes device backup station, and for software and websites that don't work on tablets.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #50

Mar 2018

Desktops take up a lot of space, and aren't necessary anymore.

A laptop is better, in my opinion. They give you far more space, and are portable as well.

Just about the only exception is, hardcore PC gamers. These type of gamers like to add new graphics cards and processors, and such a thing is usually done on a desktop.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7q3 View Post
Desktops take up a lot of space, and aren't necessary anymore.

A laptop is better, in my opinion. They give you far more space, and are portable as well.

Just about the only exception is, hardcore PC gamers. These type of gamers like to add new graphics cards and processors, and such a thing is usually done on a desktop.
don't know if i'd say it that way...

i think you could actually say computers, in general, aren't necessary, anymore. with a few exceptions, you can do anything on a phone/tablet (which are small computers, btw) that you can do on a computer.

online banking
order food
order clothes
order anything else
general internet usage
videos/movies
music
etc.

and while you can technically game on a phone/tablet, they're obviously nowhere near as good as gaming on a computer (or a laptop, for that matter). and gaming on a computer will always be best on a desktop. and i will always have a desktop. i've only ever had one laptop (which got stolen), and it was used only for school stuff. it wasn't built for anything else, though, so there were no aspirations of gaming on it. but even the most advanced gaming laptop can't touch the most advanced gaming desktop. an 8-core processor, with quad GPUs, 32 gb of ram, and a massive SSD just can't be beat for sheer performance.

also, for those who are gamers or who still like their desktops...space isn't an overly pressing concern. yes, there are smaller towers that offer a smaller footprint; but there are those that just don't care. my tower is 23.5" tall (without the wheels), 9.5" wide, and 21" front to back. and it's only 3" from the underside of my desk. it's a big-ass case with lots of fans and plenty of room for expansion/upgrades (which i'm hoping i can do in the next year). and while my current motherboard won't hold 4 GPUs, it will hold 3. it'll also go up to 24 gb of ram and i can put in 4 SSDs.

that said, if all you need is something portable for internet usage, then, yes, a basic laptop will do just fine. then, again, so will a phone/tablet. i use my phone for phone calls, texting, the occasional picture, and solitaire. i can't stand using it for internet browsing as the screen is just too damn small; and my phone is a galaxy s8+.
Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (09-22-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #52
Power Member

Feb 2013
Southeastern Ohio

I still buy desktops, I've never had a laptop that I liked very well, had a couple in the past and hated them both.

I response to not needing a computer at all anymore is maybe true for some, but there are actually areas that cell phones don't work. I live in a very rural area in southeastern Ohio and we only got high-speed internet last year. Prior to that only dial-up was available and it was so bad we did without. Cell service is still worthless, you can use the wifi in our house now, but I see no point in paying for a cell phone that won't work if I leave the house, I've got to drive 30 miles in any direction to get a good signal.

And even if you do have good service, if you are someone who does a lot of typing, I would want a computer over a phone. Same with watching movies, I don't get people being ok with watching a whole movie on their tiny phone screens. When I was growing up in the 90s and 2000s people also wanted a bigger TV and now it seems people are fine watching stuff on a 6" phone screen. But that's just me.

I buy desktop computers, don't own a cell phone and I'm content and enjoying life. To each their own.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:30 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep inside your fever-dream.

I have a 23" screen on my HP Envy. When it dies, I'll be looking for another workhorse very similar to it.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:17 AM   #54

Oct 2019
-
-

I actually have a desktop and a laptop. Like them both. I custom built my desktop. I can always upgrade it the way I want. They both have their purpose. Would like to upgrade my desktop sometime. Still going to keep my laptop though and replace it when it dies.
Thanks given by:
Breather (11-09-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 AM   #55
Banned

May 2019

When my Apple desktop dies, I plan on switching to a laptop.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Thornton, CO

Only all PC gamers, but replace buy with build.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #57

Oct 2019
-
-

Definitely building on the desktops, that way I can spec them out the way I want them. No extra Junk software from the manufactures.
Thanks given by:
Infrared Sight (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 04:04 AM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I still sit a desk, have a desktop computer, and am still rockin' a crt monitor.

No, seriously.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #59
Special Member

Oct 2006

Just ordered a new laptop, HP spectre x360. I had thought about desktop, since everything is better with them except for space and power consumption. I use my laptop like a desktop with a wireless mouse and keyboard and external monitor. But if I want portability I have it. If I was gaming on it I would definitely go for a tower.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #60
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

The last computer (desktop/laptop) I bought was in 2010, I still use it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat