Best TV Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
2 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11
 
Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Pure Hearted Girl Et Cetera (Blu-ray)
$25.54
1 day ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.65
14 min ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99
 
Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$20.77
 
His Dark Materials: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49
 
V: The Final Battle (Blu-ray)
$17.20
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #21
R3P0 R3P0 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
R3P0's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Everyone's trying to be Netflix 6 years too late. We should start betting on how fast some of these services will fail and turn their material back over to Netflix.
Well ESPN+ Disney+ and Hulu are all merging under 1 subscription. HBO Max may be worth it but we will see. Amazon Prime added in, If I can get my streaming to 300 / year id be happy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #22
SlayersCouncil SlayersCouncil is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
SlayersCouncil's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Katy, TX
8
9
897
239
94
10
14
4
Default

tl;dr

How much longer will Friends be on Netflix?

What does this mean for content on HBO Now and HBO Go?

.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #23
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
Why so much negativity against Netflix all the sudden?

Well, I guess if we can have fans debate and battle in the comics universe wars (Marvel vs DC), and then the Hollywood studio wars (Disney vs. Warner Bros. vs. Fox vs. Sony, etc.), then it seems only natural that people are going to takes sides and start hating within the streaming network wars.

Was there ever a time before the internet when people actually argued about which television broadcast network -- ABC vs. CBS vs. NBC -- was the best?
Any company that becomes dominant risks generating negativity. Especially since they lured a lot of folks in the beginning with dirt-cheap monthly fees and then went on a price-hike rampage.... Also the way they are deliberately trying to kill their DVD-by-mail for folks who still prefer physical media.

Other than that...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #24
chad_1138 chad_1138 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
chad_1138's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
USA
361
1267
68
632
207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Well ESPN+ Disney+ and Hulu are all merging under 1 subscription. HBO Max may be worth it but we will see. Amazon Prime added in, If I can get my streaming to 300 / year id be happy.
We currently have Hulu Live. I am really anxious to see what the price for Disney+ with an existing Hulu subscription will be.

As far as Netflix, they are going to have a really hard time justifying that recent price increase before long between The Office, Friends, and then all of the original programming they have cancelled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #25
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayersCouncil View Post
tl;dr

How much longer will Friends be on Netflix?
The current deal they have expires at the end of 2019. The HBOMax thing won't start until next spring, so Friends might be homeless for a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #26
mwynn mwynn is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
mwynn's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
W
Was there ever a time before the internet when people actually argued about which television broadcast network -- ABC vs. CBS vs. NBC -- was the best?
Of course there was.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #27
mwynn mwynn is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
mwynn's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_1138 View Post
We currently have Hulu Live. I am really anxious to see what the price for Disney+ with an existing Hulu subscription will be.

.
They said there would be package deal that included ESPN+.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #28
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
Of course there was.
Wasn't that the era of the network wars?



NBC apparently demanded fierce loyalty. You were there or you were with the enemy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #29
chad_1138 chad_1138 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
chad_1138's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
USA
361
1267
68
632
207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
They said there would be package deal that included ESPN+.
Right, I was saying that Im curious what the price point will be, considering that stand alone it is only $69 for the year. I could see a bundle with Hulu Live for like 50 a month (currently 44.99).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #30
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
6
111
128
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
Of course there was.
Yeah, there were certain shows on certain networks that would play at certain times, but I was never a subscriber of any one network over another. Even as a kid, if I favored a certain station over another one because they played more cartoons that I liked, I never hated the other networks. If anything, I remember recording shows on some channels while I watched other shows on another channel. I mean, I'm sure the networks themselves were in competition, but unless you worked for a particular one, why wave a banner for them and crap on another? It was all free television.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #31
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
6
111
128
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
Any company that becomes dominant risks generating negativity. Especially since they lured a lot of folks in the beginning with dirt-cheap monthly fees and then went on a price-hike rampage.... Also the way they are deliberately trying to kill their DVD-by-mail for folks who still prefer physical media.

Other than that...

I'm talking more about their content. They make some great original programs and I'm sure they'll continue to do so, even if they lose some of the stuff from studios like Disney and WB. I don't think Netflix is going anywhere anytime soon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #32
mwynn mwynn is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
mwynn's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
Yeah, there were certain shows on certain networks that would play at certain times, but I was never a subscriber of any one network over another. Even as a kid, if I favored a certain station over another one because they played more cartoons that I liked, I never hated the other networks. If anything, I remember recording shows on some channels while I watched other shows on another channel. I mean, I'm sure the networks themselves were in competition, but unless you worked for a particular one, why wave a banner for them and crap on another? It was all free television.
Because people love competition, and want to claim victory when they had nothing to do with the outcome. Why release rating info if not to compare against other shows. There has always been and always will be things i like are better than things you like.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #33
Darkstream Darkstream is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Darkstream's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
6
111
128
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
Because people love competition, and want to claim victory when they had nothing to do with the outcome. Why release rating info if not to compare against other shows. There has always been and always will be things i like are better than things you like.
Yep. I see that, too. Which is why I posed the question in the first place. I still think it's stupid and that people get too hung up on brand loyalties for no real reason just to compete with each other. I think it tarnishes and makes one question their opinion when they like or hate something, because half the time it really isn't about the quality of a film, but more about their own favoritism or loyalty toward a studio. Sports can be entertaining, but entertainment shouldn't be like sports.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #34
R3P0 R3P0 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
R3P0's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
46
Default

thats not a bad pricepoint for Disney +

Quote:
Just in time for the holidays, Disney+ will launch globally on Nov. 12 at an initial subscription price of $6.99 per month or discounted offering of $69.99 per year. The service will feature content from all of Disney's major properties, including Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, Fox, and more.

But it will take some time before the world knows whether Disney's strategy will succeed. Disney's streaming ambitions don't just revolve around Disney+ there's also ESPN+, the sports service, and Hulu, which has more adult programming. Disney has majority control over Hulu, but Comcast (CMCSA) and WarnerMedia also share ownership.

Disney executives talked Thursday about potentially bundling all three services together for people who want them. But it also set individual subscriber targets, with plans to reach profitability across streaming within five years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #35
mwynn mwynn is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
mwynn's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
Yep. I see that, too. Which is why I posed the question in the first place. I still think it's stupid and that people get too hung up on brand loyalties for no real reason just to compete with each other. I think it tarnishes and makes one question their opinion when they like or hate something, because half the time it really isn't about the quality of a film, but more about their own favoritism or loyalty toward a studio. Sports can be entertaining, but entertainment shouldn't be like sports.
It is all distractions. Probably started with the coliseum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #36
Mister B Gone Mister B Gone is offline
Power Member
 
Mister B Gone's Avatar
 
Jun 2016
Chicago
287
1258
66
1
Default

There's still Cheers though

Cheers >>>>> Friends
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
buck135 (07-10-2019), Gator66 (07-10-2019), oilers73 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #37
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
8
737
66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
thats not a bad pricepoint for Disney +
They have to be aggressive at the start. Once they have several million subscribers, I'd expect the price to go up steadily.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #38
TsMkLg068426 TsMkLg068426 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2009
10
32
78
2
5
Default

Curious will HBO Max include those who are subscribed with cable to HBO, Cinemax and rest WB networks part of it or this will be complete separate service which I can not log in through my cable service? Which I find it dumb since I am pretty much paying for WB Networks through my cable and should be part of service.

Seems like this will be like CBS Access I guess we should expect CW streaming and CW Seed no longer free streaming to catch up on shows, terrible.


As for Friends and Office leaving good now Netflix can use those licensing money for better Original series/Movies for the price Netflix customers are paying we are expecting new TV Series and Movies, Friends and Office was one of there most expensive shows they were paying for and for those mad about it is dumb you can watch this shows anytime on OTA or cable networks or if you really like to watch it over and over again get the Blu-Ray that way you can watch it as much as you like. Sorry I sound like a ass but I am not trying to be one I just felt annoyed because expensive licensing of old shows was really killing Netflix with their expensive Original Series.

Last edited by TsMkLg068426; 07-09-2019 at 08:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #39
BluBonnet BluBonnet is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
BluBonnet's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
It is all distractions. Probably started with the coliseum.
Ah, but the ancient Greek amphitheatre probably predates the Roman coliseum....

Quote:
The fully enclosed amphitheatre was a particular favourite of the Romans and evolved from the two-sided stadiums and semicircular theatres of ancient Greece. The date and location of the first true amphitheatre are unknown, but the tradition of gladiator fights had roots in the Etruscan and Osco-Samnite cultures.
So, roughly speaking: amphitheatre --- > coliseum ---> Globe theater ---> vaudeville ---> movie theaters ---> Lazy Boy

There's the decline of Western civilization in a nutshell
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Darkstream (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #40
TsMkLg068426 TsMkLg068426 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2009
10
32
78
2
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
They have to be aggressive at the start. Once they have several million subscribers, I'd expect the price to go up steadily.

Just like cable and everything else this what I don't get about people who cut the cord think that the prices will be cheaper just because now you can pick and chose what you enjoy most. Signing up to streaming services as a-la-cart is not cheaper but I don't disagree with the option you being able to choose what types of movies and TV Series you watch.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56 AM.