Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Ahiru no Sora (Blu-ray)
$86.99
1 hr ago
Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
13 hrs ago
Plunderer: Part One (Blu-ray)
$71.99
4 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 hr ago
Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49
13 hrs ago
Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #41
Special Member

Jun 2013

"...Working with HBO during the past decade has been a dream come true," Martin said. "What they did could not be done, but they did it anyway. And now they are embarked on a new venture. No, they won't be tying their shows to the legs of ravens as I suggested...instead they are launching an exciting new streaming platform that will carry all the great HBO programming around the world...classic old shows and thrilling new shows, including (I hope) a return to my world of Westeros. Sign me up!

Sounds like Martin's suggesting the Thrones spinoff will be an HBOMax exclusive.

I grow wistful for the days of the cable bundle; its day may come again.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #42
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
Just like cable and everything else this what I don't get about people who cut the cord think that the prices will be cheaper just because now you can pick and chose what you enjoy most. Signing up to streaming services as a-la-cart is not cheaper but I don't disagree with the option you being able to choose what types of movies and TV Series you watch.
I have Netflix, hulu, and prime with hbo showtime and starz. My bill is about 55 a month. With cable just hbo, showtime, and starz was 200. On psvue it was 80.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #43
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2008

Quote:
Curious will HBO Max include those who are subscribed with cable to HBO, Cinemax and rest WB networks part of it or this will be complete separate service which I can not log in through my cable service? Which I find it dumb since I am pretty much paying for WB Networks through my cable and should be part of service.

Seems like this will be like CBS Access I guess we should expect CW streaming and CW Seed no longer free streaming to catch up on shows, terrible.

As for Friends and Office leaving good now Netflix can use those licensing money for better Original series/Movies for the price Netflix customers are paying we are expecting new TV Series and Movies, Friends and Office was one of there most expensive shows they were paying for and for those mad about it is dumb you can watch this shows anytime on OTA or cable networks or if you really like to watch it over and over again get the Blu-Ray that way you can watch it as much as you like. Sorry I sound like a ass but I am not trying to be one I just felt annoyed because expensive licensing of old shows was really killing Netflix with their expensive Original Series.
Seperate service. Which could chip away at those other services. Now imagine if Comcast had Fox.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post
I have Netflix, hulu, and prime with hbo showtime and starz. My bill is about 55 a month. With cable just hbo, showtime, and starz was 200. On psvue it was 80.
And you get a fraction of what I get on cable though so the price increase is justifiable imo. No local channels, no sports, no thanks!

Streaming services are only good if you like watching old content, old movies and old shows and series is pretty much all they offer.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #45
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
And you get a fraction of what I get on cable though so the price increase is justifiable imo. No local channels, no sports, no thanks!

Streaming services are only good if you like watching old content, old movies and old shows and series is pretty much all they offer.
Local channels i get for free with a digital antenna. Anything i would watch on fox, cbs etc is on Hulu. Almost 150 price increase is justifiable? Hulu gets shows the day after they air. So it is not just old shows. Sports are on Pluto app for free.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
I have a feeling Hulu will eventually either fold into Disney+ and disappear completely, or will be bought out by the silent partner, Comcast/NBCUniversal, to become their exclusive streaming service.
Disney needs a place to put their non-family friendly content on a service that isn't named "Disney", so Hulu (or a variant of it) is gonna likely remain.
Thanks given by:
Darkstream (07-09-2019), SleazyForWeasley (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #47
Special Member

Oct 2011
330-hio

Glad I own the Friends blu-ray!
Thanks given by:
Ray O. Blu (07-09-2019), TsMkLg068426 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #48
Expert Member

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
How about BUYING THE BLU-RAYS...?!
I've done this about a year ago. I like to take matters into my own hands!
Thanks given by:
TsMkLg068426 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Get ready for many "Netflix is in trouble" stories:

Quote:
Netflix has now lost two of its most popular shows as old media companies flex their muscle
Alex Sherman CNBC.com
  • WarnerMedia announces its new streaming service will be called HBO Max and will include exclusive rights to "Friends," which is costing AT&T $85 million per year for U.S. rights.
  • The move follows NBCUniversal's announcement in June that it will remove "The Office" from Netflix and put it on its own streaming service in 2021.
  • While Netflix has been preparing to lose shows, the recent moves illustrate that legacy media companies such as WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal may be able to gain leverage over Netflix, turning the tables on the technology company.

Something strange is happening in the world of technology and media: Netflix is becoming the incumbent, and the upstart challengers are companies that have been around for nearly a century.

Disney, AT&T's WarnerMedia, and Comcast's NBCUniversal are all launching direct-to-consumer streaming services by the first quarter of 2020. And they're all coming after Netflix.

Sure, there will be enough consumer dollars to go around for Netflix to keep its massive subscriber base, 155 million globally, growing. But there's little doubt that part of the motivation of legacy media companies embracing subscription streaming services is to capture some of Netflix's valuation or bring CEO Reed Hastings' behemoth back down to earth.

That's why WarnerMedia announced Tuesday it is pulling "Friends" off Netflix in 2020 when it debuts its service, which will be called HBO Max. The WarnerMedia streaming service will have exclusive rights to the hit sitcom. AT&T is paying $85 million per year for the U.S. rights for five years, according to a person familiar with the matter. Netflix was paying $80 million for global rights to the show and wasn't in a position to re-bid, given WarnerMedia's contractual options around streaming rights for the show, the person said. The Wall Street Journal first reported how much WarnerMedia would pay for "Friends."

Netflix has been preparing to lose "Friends," just as it realized it may lose "The Office" to NBCUniversal's streaming service, which will happen in 2021, and has been spending billions on new original content exclusive to the service to keep customers satisfied.

But losing both "Friends" and "The Office" is significant to the potential health of the streaming service moving forward. The two series are the two most-watched shows on all of Netflix, according to research firm Jumpshot.

WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey's goal is to get 70 million subscribers to sign up for HBO Max. That's double the number of U.S. subscribers for HBO. For years, Wall Street has valued Netflix on its subscriber growth rather than its profits. Legacy media companies have rued this dichotomy, frustrated that investors value old media differently from Netflix, which has grown from a start-up to a company with a $175 billion enterprise value.

Returning the favor

But now there's a chance for the old empire to strike back. Disney, AT&T and Comcast all have enterprise values of more than $300 billion. They all have a chance to design a product that gives consumers an easy-to-use new service that showcases the movies and TV shows they have to offer.

Disney has already given investors a taste of what Disney+ will look like at an investor day earlier this year. The service will break down Disney's family-friendly content into brands Pixar, Marvel, Disney, Star Wars and National Geographic and allow users to find programming within those ecosystems.

WarnerMedia plans to showcase its service at an event in October. NBCUniversal hasn't announced plans yet to give consumers a taste of what its product may look like.

While Netflix disrupted traditional pay-TV by offering content at a far lower price than the cable bundle about $13 per month vs. $100 per month the legacy media companies are now playing Netflix's game. Disney+, which launches Nov. 12, will be just $6.99 per month. HBO Max is likely to be between $15 and $18 a month, according to people familiar with the matter. That's nearly the same price as HBO costs already. And NBCUniversal's streaming product will be free for pay-TV subscribers and about $10 for cord cutters, although it will be supported by ads.

Those are prices more in line with Netflix, giving consumers a possible choice about which streaming services to keep and which to discard.

Beyond price differences, traditional pay-TV has been plagued by poor user interfaces and loads of unwanted content.

In a twist of fate, navigation issues and junk-like content have actually become problems for Netflix, which has spent so much on programming that the service is flooded with options, including many shows and movies that aren't very good or appeal to a niche audience, just like the cable bundle.

Netflix may have such a large first-mover advantage that it doesn't matter. The company's growth prospects are largely international anyway. But legacy media companies find themselves in a position they likely never guessed they would be in a decade ago: upstart disruptors.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #50

Jun 2019
ISTANBUL

For each countries Blu-Ray Collection must be released with reasonable price
Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
Why so much negativity against Netflix all the sudden?

Well, I guess if we can have fans debate and battle in the comics universe wars (Marvel vs DC), and then the Hollywood studio wars (Disney vs. Warner Bros. vs. Fox vs. Sony, etc.), then it seems only natural that people are going to takes sides and start hating within the streaming network wars.

Was there ever a time before the internet when people actually argued about which television broadcast network -- ABC vs. CBS vs. NBC -- was the best?
Please, we all know NBC ruled the 80s-00s.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #52
Expert Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynn View Post

But for now that is the price you are paying you really think your monthly bill won't go up and become like cable one day? Netflix use to be $9.99 which included Streaming + Blu-Ray through mail than that went away I miss those days.
Thanks given by:
panasonicst60 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #53
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Please, we all know NBC ruled the 80s-00s.
And CBS only wins now because the people Nielsen like to use are older people who lost their remotes decades ago.

I seriously doubt people subscribe to Netflix for Friends and The Office. If they want Friends, they'd buy the BD which is cheaper in the long run. It'd be nice if The Office got a BD release, but DVDs are dirt cheap now and the majority of the viewing public still buy DVDs, so they'd just get that (right now it's $55 fr 9 seasons). Netflix will just use the money they don't have to pay for these things and make more originals, or buy more "originals" from other countries.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #54
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2008

Quote:
But for now that is the price you are paying you really think your monthly bill won't go up and become like cable one day? Netflix use to be $9.99 which included Streaming + Blu-Ray through mail than that went away I miss those days.
I have no problem dropping things if the price gets out of control. Psvue was 60 when i signed up. Price went to 80 and I dropped it. I have a set price on what I think things are worth.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #55

Sep 2009
Canada

Segmenting the streaming market by having each Content owner come out with their streaming services surely will convince people to go back to torrenting and streaming from other sources as it will just be way to expensive to go legal.

All these content owners should have embraced Netflix and released their full back catalogs and came together for the greater god of giving the consumer a wide selection of content for a fair price.

Being Canadian Im surely going to miss out on a number of these services content offerings as a result of Bell who likes to lock down content
Thanks given by:
fighthefutureofhd (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantexaiver View Post
Segmenting the streaming market by having each Content owner come out with their streaming services surely will convince people to go back to torrenting and streaming from other sources as it will just be way to expensive to go legal.

All these content owners should have embraced Netflix and released their full back catalogs and came together for the greater god of giving the consumer a wide selection of content for a fair price.

Being Canadian Im surely going to miss out on a number of these services content offerings as a result of Bell who likes to lock down content
There's only one hitch with that: greed.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #57
Power Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Twitter SJWs will be delighted.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #58
Banned

May 2016
Deceased

And another one is added to the ignore list.
Thanks given by:
eselv73 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #59
Power Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Aww. Someone got TRIGGERED!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #60
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Hopefully all of these streaming services end up killing themselves and physical comes back on top.
Thanks given by:
fighthefutureofhd (07-10-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows