Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
2 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 hr ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
6 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
6 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
19 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
3 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
8 hrs ago
Shenandoah (Blu-ray)
$16.59
5 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 10-01-2019, 02:39 AM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Funny thing. I just renewed my annual gym membership and my gym's annual rate decreased from $299 to $275 for one year. Now if gym memberships go down in price, why can't haircuts?

In this case, the price decrease didn't matter since my job covers the cost of health club memberships. But sadly, they don't cover haircuts so I'm out of luck there.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:13 AM   #42

Jun 2011
Minnesota

I buy Cost Cutters gift cards and the shop used $13 per haircut in early 2019. Saved $2 per haircut for 10 years with their gift cards. It isn't allowed in late 2019, they take full $15 now. Plus $2 tip.

Last edited by renegadeviking; 10-10-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Funny thing. I just renewed my annual gym membership and my gym's annual rate decreased from $299 to $275 for one year. Now if gym memberships go down in price, why can't haircuts?

In this case, the price decrease didn't matter since my job covers the cost of health club memberships. But sadly, they don't cover haircuts so I'm out of luck there.
I'm surprised the gym membership went down. It sounds like they may be trying to increase their membership.

As far as why haircuts increase in price, it's simple economics - inflation. Almost everything (except for possibly some electronics) is always going up in price, i.e. rent, home prices, food, many collectibles, etc.

Computers, TV's, and some physical media are the exceptions to this.
Thanks given by:
ronboster (07-11-2020)
Old 11-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Sorry guys, I meant a $8 tip.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #45
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Hard to believe that I started this thread less than a year ago and my haircut increased from $20 to $24 since then. I know my barber lost money having his shop closed due to the pandemic, but these price increases (which has been way beyond the rate of inflation) have been ongoing before we were in this crisis. There's got to be something I'm missing because despite his price increases, he still maintains his loyal customers.

But still, I really need to seek another barbershop or somehow learn to cut my own hair. The price increases are beyond insane. With tip, I'm paying $30 for a haircut and I get one every 4 weeks. That's a lot of money!
Old 07-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #46

May 2007

I think It depends on where people get their haircut at. Like barbers charge different prices but they only cut your hair they don't include shampoo. Now with a hair Salon they include both the haircut & shampoo however some Hair Salons will charge for the shampoo extra.

For example some hair salons might charge say $14.99 for only the haircut but some hair salons might charge for both like 16.99 both the haircut & shampoo. So It really depends on your hair salon. Now If you go to like a great clips you probably would need to ask what they charge for the haircut & shampoo.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #47
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012

Quote:
Not sure how people can cut their own hair. I don't have eyes on the back of my head. So, cutting that area is going to be quite difficult for me.
Anybody can cut their own hair if all they're doing is mowing it down with clippers. A real "cut" involves precision and can (or should) only be done by a pro.

My haircuts average $16 per visit (every 2 to 2 1/2 months). She does a great job and I always tip her a minimum of $5. I'm going to need their services as long as I'm alive because I'm NEVER going to even attempt to cut my own hair even if I go bald (which I am). My last cut cost me $35 because of the pandemic. I had to go to an out-of-work barber's house to get a cut but it was worth it.
Thanks given by:
ronboster (07-11-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #48
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

I'm glad that my sister-in-law is a hairstylist, and cuts my hair every two-three months gratis.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:54 AM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
Anybody can cut their own hair if all they're doing is mowing it down with clippers. A real "cut" involves precision and can (or should) only be done by a pro.
That's what I thought, but there are many replies in this thread saying that cutting one's own hair is possible. I don't know how.

It's amazing though how barbers have become expensive. The beauty part about going to a barber instead of a salon is that barbershop used to be cheap. Now they charge just as much, if not more, than salons.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:09 AM   #50
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

When the virus recedes and social distancing is no longer a thing, haircuts will go back to more reasonable prices.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:02 AM   #51
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
When the virus recedes and social distancing is no longer a thing, haircuts will go back to more reasonable prices.
I doubt it. I've been going to my barber for almost 8 years and his prices have always gone up; never down.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #52
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

I didn't say WAY down, just that the price gouging will not be as severe.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Hard to believe that I started this thread less than a year ago and my haircut increased from $20 to $24 since then. I know my barber lost money having his shop closed due to the pandemic, but these price increases (which has been way beyond the rate of inflation) have been ongoing before we were in this crisis. There's got to be something I'm missing because despite his price increases, he still maintains his loyal customers.

But still, I really need to seek another barbershop or somehow learn to cut my own hair. The price increases are beyond insane. With tip, I'm paying $30 for a haircut and I get one every 4 weeks. That's a lot of money!
We all chose to spend our money differently. And regional/local markets drive the prices for the same services.

My gym cost is $69 per month. It's a privately and locally owned gym. I take group classes which are included in the membership. We had the option of dropping the monthly fee while they were closed. I continued to pay.

On the other hand, my barber charges $25 per cut, I add on $8 tip for $33 per cut. Since his reopening, I'm giving him $45 per cut to help make up the costs of missing several hair cuts while he was closed. I'll do this till we've covered the loss revenue.

They are both small privately owned business that I want to continue to survive. Part of the reason is selfish on my part....I really like what they provide and would hate to find an alternative if they would close. The other part is I (was) and am fortunate to have a job, we can work from home (or in my case I go to the office), so I'm being paid during this time. If there wasn't a pandemic, I would have paying them during that time...I don't mind paying them without services offered or rendered.

Before dropping your barber, I would talk to him and ask if he would lock in your price for X period of time, so you can budget accordingly. I won't go into the reasons for increases....because I did when you first started this thread and the loss of revenue during the pandemic is obvious...

Last edited by ronboster; 07-11-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #54
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

I'm just glad my barbershop is back in business.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:

A year or two ago, my salon went from $14 to $20. Count your blessings.

My guy has now left the salon and does house calls so he gets all the money...and I'm happy to pay him.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:54 AM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

I'm really looking forward to balding enough that I'll just shave my head.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 AM   #57
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I've been using clippers on myself for 4 years and I've been getting it buzzed for 20, that's a small fortune (almost $500) in my pocket every year. Not to mention all the hassle of getting a haircut in a salon.
Thanks given by:
Infrared Sight (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 02:14 AM   #58
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
I'm really looking forward to balding enough that I'll just shave my head.
Yeah my hairline has been receding. Unfortunately I’m not blessed like David Boreanaz.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:23 AM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

It happens. They have to cover rising overhead costs for building upkeep, bills, rent, paying other employees, etc. Some people are good at cutting their own hair, but I'd rather just pay someone to do a way better job. But with the pandemic I haven't gotten one since March.

Last edited by meremortal; 08-02-2020 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #60
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
It happens. They have to cover rising overhead costs for building upkeep, bills, rent, paying other employees, etc. Some people are good at cutting their own hair, but I'd rather just pay someone to do a way better job. But with the pandemic I haven't gotten one since March.
The thing is, it used to be where the difference between barbershops and salons was the cost. Barbershops used to be significantly cheaper.

Back when I was a kid, barbers used to charge $10 while salons charged $15. I used to go to salons as a kid because I always thought they did better jobs since they took their time whereas barbers used to rush and do things quickly. But as time went on, the tables turned. Salons got sloppy mainly because they just lost the skill to cut men's hair as fewer and fewer men were going to them. Barbers got better. At least, that was my experience and that's why I eventually transitioned over to barbers. But then barbers started raising their prices and lo and behold, I am now paying more at a barbershop than what I used to pay at a salon.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat