Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
22 hrs ago
The Twilight Zone: Season One (Blu-ray)
$28.12
19 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49
1 day ago
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

The Watch (Blu-ray)
$22.99
23 hrs ago
Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA
Default Female Led Kung Fu TV Show in works at CW

New Show

Quote:
‘Kung Fu’ Female-Led Reboot From Christina M. Kim, Martin Gero & Berlanti Prods. In Works At The CW

The CW has put in development Kung Fu, a reimagining with a female lead of the 1970s David Carradine-starring TV series. The hourlong project hails from the Blindspot team of writer-executive producer Christina M. Kim, creator-executive producer Martin Gero, executive producers Greg Berlanti & Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros. TV, where Kim, Gero and Berlanti Prods. are under deals.

Written by Kim, inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman, in the reimagined Kung Fu, a quarter-life crisis causes a young Chinese-American woman to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice…all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her.

Kim and Gero executive produce via Gero’s Quinn’s House Production Company, which produces in association with Berlanti Prods. and Warner Bros. TV. Berlanti and Schechter executive produce for Berlanti Prods.

Two incarnations of the project with different writers — both featuring a female lead — were in development at Fox the last two seasons from Berlanti Prods and Warner Bros. TV with a put pilot commitment. Neither went to pilot.

Berlanti Prods. and WBTV have a successful track record moving to CW projects that had been originally developed at Fox. The CW hit Riverdale and DC drama Black Lightning both originated as Fox development before migrating to the CW.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

This will live or die by the team they bring in to do the action. My gut tells me it'll be another show about asian characters with a generic american stunt team brought in to deliver standard TV action dross ala Marvel's Iron Fist.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

If a show is able to stand on its own, it doesn't matter the gender of the characters whether male or female. I personally enjoy just as long as the story and characters are interesting and have character development.

There's a Spanish series (Señoras de la (h)AMPA) where pretty much all the lead characters are female and they didn't shove it in the viewers face, but allow it to feel natural just as any other show out there without making a big deal. Same could have been done here.

And speaking of that Spaniard series, it's friggin' great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
This will live or die by the team they bring in to do the action. My gut tells me it'll be another show about asian characters with a generic american stunt team brought in to deliver standard TV action dross ala Marvel's Iron Fist.
Wouldn't be surprised. Plus, it's on the CW.

Once Supernatural is over, that's CW done for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
If a show is able to stand on its own, it doesn't matter the gender of the characters whether male or female. I personally enjoy just as long as the story and characters are interesting and have character development.

There's a Spanish series (Señoras de la (h)AMPA) where pretty much all the lead characters are female and they didn't shove it in the viewers face, but allow it to feel natural just as any other show out there without making a big deal. Same could have been done here.

And speaking of that Spaniard series, it's friggin' great!
What do you mean "they didn't shove it in the viewers face" ?

I'm trying to start an "sjw thing" or whatever it is called. I just don't understand it could be in your face if they are all women.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

lol CW
Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
UK

And still they keep on!

Thanks given by:
thecooldud (11-07-2019)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:45 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Show update:

Quote:
Female-Led Kung Fu Reboot, Former Sarah Drew Vehicle Get CW Pilot Orders

Having already ordered Superman & Lois and its Walker, Texas Ranger reboot straight to series for the 2020-21 TV season, The CW has ordered pilots for a Kung Fu reboot and The Republic of Sarah, a series that was originally developed a year ago at CBS.

Penned by Blindspot EP and former Lost scribe Christina M. Kim, Kung Fu tells the story of how a quarter-life crisis causes a young Chinese-American woman to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice — all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her.

Inspired by the original Kung Fu series starring David Carradine and created by Ed Spielman, it also counts Martin Gero, Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter as EPs.

The Republic of Sarah, penned by Jeffrey Paul King (Elementary), was originally cast and piloted at CBS last spring, with Grey’s Anatomy doc Sarah Drew as the lead. The CW’s version tweaks the premise slightly: Instead of Drew’s mayor, now it’s rebellious high school teacher Sarah Cooper who uses an obscure cartographical loophole to declare that her imperiled town is an independent nation. “Now Sarah must lead a young group of misfits as they attempt to start their own country from scratch,” according to the official description.

The CBS Television Studios project counts Marc Webb, Mark Martin and Fulwell 73’s Jeff Grosvenor and Leo Pearlman among its EPs.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Why are they rebooting this series? This gender-swap reboot already smells of "loser". Back during the 70's, there were a number of television shows produced and the reason they worked so well was because of the climate they were produced in. Hollywood has become so corrupt with bad ideas that they don't know how to produce original content anymore.

Just look at Disney. There's a movie studio who doesn't know how to come up with original ideas that they have resorted to transforming all of their original animated films into live-action versions. If you look at the television shows that are being produced these days, they are either reboots, remakes, re-imaginings, gender-swapped or some other ridiculous notion.

Murder She Wrote was canceled because Angela Lansbury became a vocal critic of the planned reboot. NYPD Blue reboot was canceled and so was the planned Bewitched TV series reboot. The majority of television shows being produced is simply not an original concept.

Just wish these studios would stop turning every single classic TV series into a reboot just for the sake of doing a reboot. What ever happened to original content being produced for broadcast or streaming?
Thanks given by:
BurnBrilliantTrash (03-02-2021), ZombieTwin2 (02-04-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
Banned

Aug 2018

If they find a female kung-fu actress credible enough to everyones eyes that she can dismantle every woman or man alive i dont see why not give it a try.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

They already rebooted the show with Kung Fu The Legend Continues. Should have had it continue on from that. Making her the daughter of TLC Caine's son would have been a little more interesting.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:52 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngtmat View Post
They already rebooted the show with Kung Fu The Legend Continues. Should have had it continue on from that. Making her the daughter of TLC Caine's son would have been a little more interesting.
THAT wasn't a reboot. It was a sequel to the original series and featured the original star of the first series, David Carradine, as the Shaolin monk Caine.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

It reboots the series for a new generation. Generations that didn't even see the original. But if it has to be something it's a spinoff. It is the same actor and he goes by the same name in the show. But he's not playing the original. He's playing his grandson who helps his own son.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

The original show should be confined to the past. This needs to be something new and something done right, with none of the stink of whitewashing that came with the original show, otherwise it just invites controversy and twitter hysteria. Let this new show succeed or most likely fail on its own merits.

Last edited by Shingster; 02-03-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I think the reboot is already generating controversy. These studios can't produce original content so they need to reboot these older shows with diverse casting. Having as diverse cast is great when it's done right but doing that for sake's sake just disrespects the original show and the talented cast that made these original shows work.

They just need to stop remaking these classic TV shows because while most fans will tune into the first episode, they eventually end up dumping those shows when they realize it bears no resemblance to the original series other than its name.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #15
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Missouri

If they actually came up with a new show starring a female martial artist I might be interested but "Kung Sue" doesn't interest me at all.
Thanks given by:
kemcha (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:12 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
If they actually came up with a new show starring a female martial artist I might be interested but "Kung Sue" doesn't interest me at all.
I have to agree. If they had created this show by not capitalizing on the "Kung Fu" branding, then I might have been interested but it seems that Hollywood is rebooting these classic shows with "diversity" casting. It just feels like these shows have become "___ in name only" TV shows.

The only rebooted show that I have enjoyed is the rebooted 'One Day At a Time' that features a Cuban American family. I actually thought it was funny and entertaining and actually made me laugh. The rebooted Roseanne/The Connors repulsed me and didn't resemble the original series I grew up on. Magnum was a refreshing course, Lethal Weapon was derailed when they fired Clayne Crawford because of Damon Wayan's over-inflated ego.

I'm just glad that the studio that tried to reboot Murder She Wrote actually got derailed when Angela Lansbury railed against it. The original series is a classic and doesn't need to be rebooted. Hell, have these studios even created an original concept ini the last two decades?
Old 02-22-2020, 01:31 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Casting update:

Quote:
Kung Fu’: Jon Prasida, Shannon Dang & Eddie Liu To Co-Star In the CW Reboot Pilot

EXCLUSIVE: Jon Prasida (Hiding), Shannon Dang (The L Word) and Eddie Liu (Silicon Valley) have been cast as series regulars in the CW pilot Kung Fu, a reimagining with a female lead of the 1970s David Carradine-starring TV series. It hails from Christina M. Kim, Martin Gero, Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros. TV.

Written by Kim, inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman, the new Kung Fu sees a quarter-life crisis causing a young Chinese-American woman to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice — all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and now is targeting her.

Prasida will play Ryan Chen, a quick-witted medical student who has to deal with the sudden return of his estranged older sister, Nicky.

Dang will portray Althea Chen, Nicky’s larger-than-life older sister who’s newly engaged and on her way to planning her dream Chinese wedding.

Liu will play Henry Chu, a martial arts instructor and Chinese art history buff who has instant chemistry with Nicky.

They join previously announced series regulars Tzi Ma and Kheng Nua Tan.

Kim and Gero executive produce via Gero’s Quinn’s House Production Company, which produces in association with Berlanti Prods. and Warner Bros. TV. Berlanti and Schechter executive produce for Berlanti Prods.

Prasida starred as Garys in the TV series Hiding, and went on to play the role of Lee in the TV series adaptation of the book series Tomorrow When The War Began. He most recently guest starred in the ABC drama Warriors and will next be seen in the upcoming TV series Harrow and Sando. He is repped by CBM Management in Australia and Silver Lining Entertainment in the U.S.

Dang’s credits include include The L Word, Sorry For Your Loss, Veronica Mars, The Romanoffs, American Vandal and Doubt. She recently wrapped supporting roles in the comedy features Film Fest and Prison Logic. Dang is repped by Singular Talent and Working Entertainment.

Liu is best known for his role as Doug in HBO’s Silicon Valley. He’s repped by Greene & Associates Talent Agency, A & R Management and attorney Jeff Bernstein
Old 02-22-2020, 02:02 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Sounds like some bad daytime soap opera, well at least Tzi Ma has been cast! I was beginning to get worried we'd get an asian-themed show without Ma's involvement for a minute there!
Old 02-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2012
Origae-6

Casting Update..

Quote:
Olivia Liang Cast As The Lead Of the CW Reboot

The CW pilot Kung Fu has found its star in Legacies‘ Olivia Liang. She will headline the reimagining with a female lead of the 1970s David Carradine-starring TV series, which comes from Christina M. Kim, Martin Gero, Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros TV, where Kim, Gero and Berlanti Prods. are under deals.

Chang’s casting in the CW/WBTV pilot Kung Fu pilot comes on the heels of her joining the network and studio’s drama series Legacies as a recurring earlier this season. She plays Alyssa Chang on The Vampire Diaries offshoot. (Source)
Old 05-13-2020, 04:38 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Update:

Quote:
Kung Fu reboot moves forward with series order at The CW
It's official: Kung Fu is returning to TV in a new iteration on The CW next season.

The 1972 classic series starring David Carradine is being reimagined with Olivia Liang (Legacies) in the starring role.

The show was one of two titles the network picked up straight to series on Tuesday, the other is The Republic of Sarah, about a high schooler (Stella Baker) who attempts to form her own country.

Here's the description of the Kung Fu reboot: "A quarter-life crisis causes a young Chinese-American woman (Liang) to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice...all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her." Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse, Gwendoline Yeo, and Tzi Ma also star.

While here's the pitch for The Republic of Sarah: "Faced with the destruction of her town at the hands of a greedy mining company, rebellious high school teacher Sarah Cooper (Baker) utilizes an obscure cartographical loophole to declare independence. Now Sarah must lead a young group of misfits as they attempt to start their own country from scratch." Nia Holloway, Luke Mitchell, Izabella Alvarez, Hope Lauren, Ian Duff, Forrest Goodluck, Landry Bender, and Megan Follows also star.

The shows join two other new series set for next season on the network: Superman & Lois, starring Tyler Hoechlin and Bitsie Tulloch, and Walker, starring Jared Padalecki. All the shows are planned for the 2020-2021 season with premiere dates very uncertain due to the industry coronavirus shutdown.

The network has also previously renewed Batwoman, Nancy Drew, All American, Black Lightning, Charmed, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Dynasty, The Flash, In the Dark, Legacies, Riverdale, Roswell, New Mexico and Supergirl.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows