Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.75

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Gleipnir: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$20.77

Vampire Pink (Blu-ray)
$25.47
2 hrs ago
His Dark Materials: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 05-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
The network has also previously renewed Batwoman, Nancy Drew, All American, Black Lightning, Charmed, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Dynasty, The Flash, In the Dark, Legacies, Riverdale, Roswell, New Mexico and Supergirl.
The CW must be starved for content or in need of tax write offs. Half of those shows get some of the most abysmal ratings in all of television and continue getting renewed. Even during lockdown when everyone is cooped up at home, the ratings on these shows keep sliding.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

New info on reboot series:

Quote:
Kung Fu Reboot and The Republic of Sarah Get CW Premiere Dates

The CW has set series premiere dates for its new take on Kung Fu and the original drama The Republic of Sarah.

Kung Fu, starring Olivia Liang (Legacies), Tzi Ma (Wu Assassins) and Kheng Hua Tan (Marco Polo), will inherit Riverdale‘s time slot starting Wednesday, April 7 at 8/7c, where it followed by an original episode of Nancy Drew. (Riverdale will return on July 7 to finish out its current fifth season.)

The Republic of Sarah, starring Stella Baker (Tell Me Your Secrets) and Luke Mitchell (The Tomorrow People), will debut Monday, June 14 at 9 pm, laying claim to Black Lightning‘s time slot* following a fresh episode of All American.

*It is currently unclear if Black Lightning will have wrapped its run by this time.

Kung Fu follows a young Chinese American woman, Nicky Shen (played by Liang), who drops out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to San Francisco, she finds her hometown is overrun with crime and corruption and her own parents Jin (Tzi Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) are at the mercy of a powerful Triad. Nicky will rely on her tech-savvy sister Althea (Shannon Dang) and her fiancé Dennis (Tony Chung), her pre-med brother Ryan (Jon Prasida), ADA and ex-boyfriend Evan (Gavin Stenhouse), and new love interest Henry (Eddie Liu) — as well as her martial arts skills and Shaolin values — to protect her community and bring criminals to justice, all while searching for the ruthless assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor Pei-Ling (Vanessa Kai) and is now targeting her.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Trailer:

Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (03-10-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #24
Power Member

Oct 2018
somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
yikes
Thanks given by:
frogmort (03-09-2021), Michael24 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #25
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

On one hand, it looks like it has potential. It will likely be entertaining when she's out there fighting. Then I see the family and personal life bits sprinkled into the trailer and I'm scared this will be just another CW show that cares more about family drama than the actual story the show should be doing.

It makes me glad Nikita wasn't done now, as it likely wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it was. It was an actual adult show. I wish they would have done that with this, even though I may watch the pilot just to see if my fears are correct.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

I don't understand the thought process here. Most of the CW audience this seems aimed at, probably has never even heard of the old Kung Fu series. The people who are familiar with it, will see this ad and respond in the negative because it looks nothing at all like Kung Fu.

I know the entertainment industry loves established brands, but sometimes I think it hurts more than it helps.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #27
Power Member

Jul 2012

I have NO issue with them "rebooting" it. I have no issue with the gender of the lead being changed. I have no problem with the positive Asian American depictions and so on.

That said...

The official synopsis just released reads so funny.

They say, "She experiences a quarter-life crisis" ( Seriously, Millennials, is that a THING, now, LOL?) and then "goes to a monastery".

Then, they STRESS everything, "her tech savvy sister", "her pre-med brother".

It just goes out of its way to grandstand.

To me, it's just as cornball as when they do that super patriotic, jingoistic stuff. It beats you over the head. It's just CORNY and preachy.

Just make a badass action show with positive depictions and female leads and stop saying, "Look what we did!!!!! See how PC we are???"

That's the only turn-off for me.
Thanks given by:
SilverFox84 (04-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:49 AM   #28
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

That's why I said I'm really glad Nikita wasn't done now, as it likely would have been different instead of being the highly entertaining adult action show it was. I wish this show was going to be more like that, as that would have been awesome. It didn't have to be another teen show that emphasizes family drama and teen bs over kick ass action and a focused story arc like it could have been.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #29
Power Member

Oct 2018
somewhere

When I glanced at some of the youtube responses on that trailer I was kind of shocked how positive they were.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #30
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

the trailer looks good to me. i'll be watching it when it premieres.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Well, I just watched it. While I had reservations about remaking this series, it doesn't feel like any connection to the original series on which the studio claims it's based on. I was expecting some woke trash but it wasn't all that bad. Didn't exactly hit it out of the park but it does have that "Into The Badlands" vibe. But, I expect that CW will end up canceling the series when viewers start to like it.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:38 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

Quarter-Life crisis? Yep...
Old 04-09-2021, 12:47 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014

The idea of a new Kung-Fu sounds awesome, but I checked out when I saw the dreaded letters:

[Show spoiler]CW

[Show spoiler]
Old 04-09-2021, 01:27 AM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ1991 View Post
The idea of a new Kung-Fu sounds awesome, but I checked out when I saw the dreaded letters:

[Show spoiler]CW

[Show spoiler]
What everyone seems to forget is that it's not the CW producing these TV shows. It's either going to be Sony, Lionsgate, NBC Universal, Paramount, Warner Brothers, The Disney Group, etc. TV networks simply make a purchase order for a TV series, i.e., they pay the production studio for the episode rights to a series.

Far as I know, the CW does not have a production studio for creating their own movies or Television Shows.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:11 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
What everyone seems to forget is that it's not the CW producing these TV shows. It's either going to be Sony, Lionsgate, NBC Universal, Paramount, Warner Brothers, The Disney Group, etc. TV networks simply make a purchase order for a TV series, i.e., they pay the production studio for the episode rights to a series.

Far as I know, the CW does not have a production studio for creating their own movies or Television Shows.
C - CBS
W - Warner Brothers

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/bla...al-1234806076/
Old 04-10-2021, 03:23 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunemoon View Post
Old 05-03-2021, 06:44 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Renewed for Season 2
Thanks given by:
kemcha (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
Renewed for Season 2
I just heard. Thing of it is, CW is despicable. Using the "Kung Fu" IP property name to sell this series to viewers. It's a pretty decent show but I think they're despicable for capitalizing on the David Carradine series to confuse fans. Similar to how I felt about the Jackie Chan "Karate Kid" remake. That remake just didn't have the charm of the original films. I think the CW was trying to hook fans of the original series and the ratings seem about average for CW viewers. Has any of their TV shows ever did spectacularly in the ratings?

I did enjoy the first season of AMC's Into The Badlands and this "Kung Fu" series seems to follow the same traits. I do plan to continue watching the series as I'm intrigued by this "Sword Quest". What can I say, I love movies and TV shows that delve into Asian culture, as long as they're well written, well acted and don't inject social idioms as a means to an ends.

Hopefully, we won't get a short season for the show.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows