Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58

Despicable Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.84

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.71

Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Wings of the Hawk 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.82

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 11-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #1

Nov 2012
Bay Area
Cool Looking Glass holographic display and kickstarter campaign

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this here (if so, I can't find it):

Looking Glass holographic display

I've been getting updates from these folks for about a year now.

I finally built my own PC and am considering buying their $600 display to do some testing with. I'm curious to see if there's any way to convert 3D Blu-rays (I use Tipard Blu-ray Converter, which is able to export various 3D formats) and run it through one of these.

And/or just tinker with 3D scenes or models.

Either way, a cool-looking device with some potential.
Thanks given by:
kurosawa (11-27-2019), Paul H (12-14-2019), robtadrian (02-21-2020), Steedeel (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Looks interesting. A glimpse into the future maybe.
Thanks given by:
Unblinking Stare (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:58 PM   #3

Nov 2012
Bay Area

I ordered one (8.9 inches) a couple weeks ago and shipped out yesterday. During CES, they came out with an app called Moments 3D that takes depth information and uses it to turn iPhone photos into 3D holograms. Now I have to acquire an iPhone because, for the time being, those are the only phones that take depth map information. Which I didn't realize, because it's as if iPhones are actually 3D cameras (in search of a 3D display)!
Thanks given by:
Paul H (01-22-2020), robtadrian (02-21-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unblinking Stare View Post
I ordered one (8.9 inches) a couple weeks ago and shipped out yesterday. During CES, they came out with an app called Moments 3D that takes depth information and uses it to turn iPhone photos into 3D holograms. Now I have to acquire an iPhone because, for the time being, those are the only phones that take depth map information. Which I didn't realize, because it's as if iPhones are actually 3D cameras (in search of a 3D display)!
Congratulations. I would appreciate it if you could send some photos or videos? That would be cool.

Good luck with your purchase. You must be excited?
Thanks given by:
Unblinking Stare (02-02-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #5

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK

linux did a video sometime ago (1 month which is like a whole year)
Thanks given by:
Paul H (02-16-2020), robtadrian (02-21-2020), Steedeel (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Interesting tech for sure.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Light Field Streaming Milestone Reached

Quote:
Cable operator Charter Communications and host of partners used the recent SCTE*ISBE Cable-Tec Expo to showcase a light field capture-transmission-display demonstration. This is the first time such an end-to-end demonstration has been attempted and is an important milestone in the development of the light field ecosystem.

The video of the demonstration can be seen HERE.

Light field technology is being developed to be the next generation of 3D imaging and display. True light field images offer view-dependent 3D data which means surfaces that respond to the scene lighting based upon the viewing angle.
https://displaydaily.com/article/dis...estone-reached
Thanks given by:
Paul H (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Jul 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unblinking Stare View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this here (if so, I can't find it):

Looking Glass holographic display
I'm curious to see if there's any way to convert 3D Blu-rays (I use Tipard Blu-ray Converter, which is able to export various 3D formats) and run it through one of these.
Well, if you want "reasonably good results" (i.e. good depth and no "blurring") you can format the output of your computer to the display repeating each one of the blu-ray two views according to the formatting explained in their documentation https://docs.lookingglassfactory.com.../how-it-works/, so that, standing at a particular distance from the Looking Glass display and keeping your head in roughly that position only (not moving much horizontally), each eye sees only copies of the intended view (left view on left eye, right view for the right eye). Depending on the distance to the screen and separation of your eyes, you may need to insert a few black "views" between the two from the blu-ray.

It will be a much lower resolution image than with a regular 3D TV (and probably less bright) and YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MOVE YOUR HEAD much w/o having problems (i.e. going to pseudoscopic view), but it should work reasonably well.

There is more talk about glasses-free "TV" in this thread: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=222337 Let us know if you like the display and your thoughts on it.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #9

Nov 2012
Bay Area

I had the Looking Glass Display hooked up to my PC for a couple months and it was essentially a paperweight that displayed a low-res 3D fish tank app.

I'm not a developer, just a 3D enthusiast, so I know I'm not getting the most out of it. I was going to post more on it here, along with photos, but I got sidetracked.

It's neat but not mind-blowing. If I can get it to display movies, that would be cool. But still, it's really low-res. I'd actually say that a Nintento 3DS or my old Fuji FinePix Real 3D camera is better, sharper, and more versatile. There is an iPhone app that converts photos into 3D images to view on the Looking Glass base on depth map information, but the results left a lot to be desired. Not nearly as good as a real 3D camera with two lenses. And images have to be vertical, and when seen on the horizontal display, they're quite small.

This all made me realize how sophisticated the early 2010s-era Fuji 3D products were.

But Looking Glass is promising to reveal a new product soon. So we'll see. I have not seen their larger displays in person. The glasses-free technology is improving slowly.

Last edited by Unblinking Stare; 10-28-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #10

Jul 2020
Default Looking Glass new kickstarter campain

In case anyone is interested, Looking Glass has a new kickstarter campaign for a portrait version of their display. It's $199 for the next couple of days.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...glass-portrait

Basically it seems to be a tablet with a slanted lenticular screen and a acrylic or similar block stuck on it, running some software to interface in a couple of ways with software/sdk's and rasterize the images appropiately. Their old screens held calibration data on the software, since the lenticular screens were not in exactly the same position from one display to another.

Nothing that will ever develop into what we think here as "glasses free 3D TV", but cool nonetheless.

Last edited by globalimages; 12-03-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Thanks given by:
petergee (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #11

Jul 2007
New Zealand

Thanks for letting us know about this campaign.

What an amazing device - have just backed this and pledged the $199.

Who knows, maybe I will be able to get a fully holographic Darth Sidious on my desk!

Last edited by petergee; 12-02-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:32 PM   #12

Jul 2020

A similar display currently being marketed:

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Tags
3d display, holographic, holographic display