Best DVD Deals


Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99
 
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99
 
Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99
 
Hell on Wheels: The Complete Series (DVD)
$37.67
 
The Cosby Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
$25.05
23 hrs ago
Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96
23 hrs ago
The Father (DVD)
$17.99
 
Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra Legends: The First Alola League Champion (DVD)
$19.96
 
The Little Things (DVD)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #341
MarcelS1 MarcelS1 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
MarcelS1's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Netherlands
14
494
110
26
Default

Interesting:

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #342
blueshammer blueshammer is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2019
7
Default

He glosses over the end of DVD and Blu-ray players in the last 5% as a “will never happen” clause in a longer list, but I dunno. Losing Samsung for Blu-ray — the ones who invented the format and won the HD war — was inconceivable to me, and then losing Oppo as well .... As much as Vinegar Syndrome might not need the mass market to succeed, consumer electronics kinda do. When our current players die, who’s going to fix them, or what’s going to replace them? Will Kino Lorber open up a consumer electronics manufacturing wing? And will hobbyists be able to tinker and fix a 4K UHD player that’s as much computer as laser-and-motor? When my 4K started freaking out last week, it turned out to be the memory buffer and I just had to unplug it, but: Bringing one of those to market is not like bringing a turntable to market, where it truly is largely analog and the player is almost entirely mechanical.

Last edited by blueshammer; 10-05-2020 at 01:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #343
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default



The footnote (35) is just saying that when they say US, they mean US/Canada: No. America.

https://www.motionpictures.org/wp-co...THEME-2019.pdf

As you can see, physical media is still a $10 billion a year market. Yes it drops about 18% per year. Those are just disc sales. So with that large of a market, there are still plenty of opportunities to sell DVD and BD players. UHD-BD is different because it's a niche product.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
MarcelS1 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #344
Akibiyori Akibiyori is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshammer View Post
Losing Samsung for Blu-ray — the ones who invented the format and won the HD war —
Sony developed Blu-ray, not Samsung.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
blueshammer (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #345
blueshammer blueshammer is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2019
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibiyori View Post
Sony developed Blu-ray, not Samsung.
Thanks for that correction. I knew Samsung had shipped the first players and mistakenly attributed the development to them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #346
Lee A Stewart Lee A Stewart is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lee A Stewart's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibiyori View Post
Sony developed Blu-ray, not Samsung.
The "Blu-ray Disc founder group" was started on 20 May 2002 by Sony and eight leading electronic companies: Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung Electronics.

In order to enable more companies to participate, it announced in May 2004 that it would form the Blu-ray Disc Association, which was inaugurated on 4 October 2004.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #347
Flixster Flixster is offline
Active Member
 
Flixster's Avatar
 
Jul 2017
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshammer View Post
He glosses over the end of DVD and Blu-ray players in the last 5% as a “will never happen” clause in a longer list, but I dunno. Losing Samsung for Blu-ray — the ones who invented the format and won the HD war — was inconceivable to me, and then losing Oppo as well .... As much as Vinegar Syndrome might not need the mass market to succeed, consumer electronics kinda do. When our current players die, who’s going to fix them, or what’s going to replace them? Will Kino Lorber open up a consumer electronics manufacturing wing? And will hobbyists be able to tinker and fix a 4K UHD player that’s as much computer as laser-and-motor? When my 4K started freaking out last week, it turned out to be the memory buffer and I just had to unplug it, but: Bringing one of those to market is not like bringing a turntable to market, where it truly is largely analog and the player is almost entirely mechanical.
Samdung did not invent Blu Ray, Sony did, along with other manufacturers. Please get your facts right!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #348
Metro1962 Metro1962 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
DVD is still far more popular around the world than Blu-ray is.
And long may it continue to do so.

Those elitists out there who think Blu is better (reminds me so much of ''your dad is bigger than my dad' ) Well it may be so but that is not going to change as DVD is STILL going and Blu is dead as a dodo now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #349
ptb2010 ptb2010 is offline
Senior Member
 
Apr 2010
Aude south of France
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro1962 View Post
And long may it continue to do so.

Those elitists out there who think Blu is better (reminds me so much of ''your dad is bigger than my dad' ) Well it may be so but that is not going to change as DVD is STILL going and Blu is dead as a dodo now.
Blu Ray dead as a dodo? You’re clearly crazy if you think that everyone is going to give upon better quality visual discs with loads of extras. Millions have great taste and prefer the quality Blu Ray offers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #350
Jay H. Jay H. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jay H.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2019
Rosebud Motel
759
178
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro1962 View Post
...DVD is STILL going and Blu is dead as a dodo now.
Yeah, it's been forever since I've been able to buy a Blu-ray online or in a store. And forget daily announcements of new releases. So sad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #351
Shane Rollins Shane Rollins is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2020
Default

Considering that VCDs still survive in Asia and even blank VHS tapes and blank Beta tapes are being made (the former by major companies, the latter by third parties), DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K aren’t going anywhere. Even if WB and Sony and Mousechwitz *cough cough* I mean Disney all jump ship on physical formats, the third parties will keep it going. Considering that the last studio Beta I can confirm was between 1994 (The Fugitive, confirmed) and 1996 (Mission: Impossible, rumored), and they’re still being made, add about 30 years to the day the final studio stops making their own discs. That’s the least these will survive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #352
Metro1962 Metro1962 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb2010 View Post
Blu Ray dead as a dodo? You’re clearly crazy if you think that everyone is going to give upon better quality visual discs with loads of extras. Millions have great taste and prefer the quality Blu Ray offers.
But MORE people have and buy DVDs with loads of extras more so than Blu.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
Yeah, it's been forever since I've been able to buy a Blu-ray online or in a store. And forget daily announcements of new releases. So sad.
I am not saying you can not buy them still,All I am saying is Blu ray is dead along with DVD but see my post above ^^^^^^^
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #353
Jay H. Jay H. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jay H.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2019
Rosebud Motel
759
178
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro1962 View Post
But MORE people have and buy DVDs with loads of extras more so than Blu.




I am not saying you can not buy them still,All I am saying is Blu ray is dead along with DVD but see my post above ^^^^^^^
You should probably look up the definition of "dead".
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Skylath (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #354
Metro1962 Metro1962 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
You should probably look up the definition of "dead".
I did look it up and it says.




Deceased, extinct, lifeless=Blu ray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #355
AMenard AMenard is online now
Member
 
Apr 2021
Beauharnois, Qc, Canada
8
234
Default

Meh,

Physical media buying/collecting was always a niche market. Common folks used to rent VHS/DVD/BR before the video stores went belly up and were replaced by the Netflix of this era. Site like this and AVS Forum, tends to become echo chambers for the minority of us in the collecting hobby/HT afficionado.

As long as our minority collecting club keeps buying them in enough quantity to be profitable, they'll keep making them. Hell, we revived the vinyl record industry, we can keep the physical movie media alive as well.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (05-04-2021), Panson (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #356
Blu Lemmy Blu Lemmy is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Blu Lemmy's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
On my sofa
13
665
58
8
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro1962 View Post
And long may it continue to do so.

Those elitists out there who think Blu is better (reminds me so much of ''your dad is bigger than my dad' ) Well it may be so but that is not going to change as DVD is STILL going and Blu is dead as a dodo now.
Dead?
Sure bro, cool story
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #357
Panson Panson is offline
Member
 
Feb 2021
30
168
64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMenard View Post
Meh,

Physical media buying/collecting was always a niche market. Common folks used to rent VHS/DVD/BR before the video stores went belly up and were replaced by the Netflix of this era. Site like this and AVS Forum, tends to become echo chambers for the minority of us in the collecting hobby/HT afficionado.

As long as our minority collecting club keeps buying them in enough quantity to be profitable, they'll keep making them. Hell, we revived the vinyl record industry, we can keep the physical movie media alive as well.
Amehn. I never tar of preachin' DVD love.

Bought two this week, 1 new, 1 like new. 'Cause i reckoned the BD transfers for weren't up-to-snuff, and over-priced for pandemic gouging.

Sometimes, too, a DVD looks better for a B-movie, rather than a fancy-smancy edge-enhanced BD, or failed attempt at doin' whatever.

Hard discs rule!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #358
Jay H. Jay H. is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jay H.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2019
Rosebud Motel
759
178
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro1962 View Post
I did look it up and it says.




Deceased, extinct, lifeless=Blu ray.
Okay, Beavis.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #359
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
72
2629
2130
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMenard View Post
Physical media buying/collecting was always a niche market.
DVD in it's heyday was massive, folks who rented VHS tapes build large collections, anecdotally everyone I know built collections. In the US consumers would spend over a billion dollars on the top 5-10 titles alone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #360
Metro1962 Metro1962 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
Okay.
Your welcome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
DVD in it's heyday was massive,
It still is.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 PM.