Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (DVD)
$13.00
13 hrs ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96

Death in Paradise: Season Nine (DVD)
$19.99

Hallmark 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$7.50

Father Brown: Season Four (DVD)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 12-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Thanks given by:
Dustin44 (12-26-2019), jonmoz (12-26-2019), Ricky G (12-26-2019), tangerinewolf (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #42

Aug 2013
Hershey, PA

I hope no body judge me and understand my motives, I began watching movies in Blu-ray since it started back in 2007. It replaced all my dvd rips and I didn't look back ever unless I'm dying to watch a movie and it's not available in Blu-ray. That time I was living outside the US in a country where dvd are still even a niche rightnow. I had a big library of bluray rips on hard disks and I still have it but when I moved to the US I started building my bluray collection mostly I like to buy boxsets in a bargain and great movies that I will rewatch over and over. I can't convince myself of paying a cent for a DVD unless I get it for free. I have streaming services as Hulu, Kanopy, tubi, Vudu. How long dvd will last? I would say till everybody own the new generation of consoles, 4k TVs (dvd looks horrible in those tv's) and when most old TV shows and movies are becoming available in Blu-ray and hit the dollars stores. That would make em more appealing.l for most people. Streaming is killing it and I don't like it but I was fine yesterday watching Blown away an action flic from the 90's for free in Tubi and Cronos in Kanopy I won't pay $20 for owning each of them to be honest. Also, I own a projector from about 3 weeks ago can't believe I will watch a dvd on it the pixelation will be noticable.
Thanks given by:
jonmoz (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #43

Aug 2019
Massachusetts, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
UHD will replace Blu-ray as the preferred format before DVD bows out.
Wishful thinking. Current statistics, like those provided by Lee A Stewart, seem to say otherwise.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #44
Special Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
I hope no body judge me and understand my motives, I began watching movies in Blu-ray since it started back in 2007. It replaced all my dvd rips and I didn't look back ever unless I'm dying to watch a movie and it's not available in Blu-ray. That time I was living outside the US in a country where dvd are still even a niche rightnow. I had a big library of bluray rips on hard disks and I still have it but when I moved to the US I started building my bluray collection mostly I like to buy boxsets in a bargain and great movies that I will rewatch over and over. I can't convince myself of paying a cent for a DVD unless I get it for free. I have streaming services as Hulu, Kanopy, tubi, Vudu. How long dvd will last? I would say till everybody own the new generation of consoles, 4k TVs (dvd looks horrible in those tv's) and when most old TV shows and movies are becoming available in Blu-ray and hit the dollars stores. That would make em more appealing.l for most people. Streaming is killing it and I don't like it but I was fine yesterday watching Blown away an action flic from the 90's for free in Tubi and Cronos in Kanopy I won't pay $20 for owning each of them to be honest. Also, I own a projector from about 3 weeks ago can't believe I will watch a dvd on it the pixelation will be noticable.
When I got my first projector I got rid of all my DVD's as they looked awful on a bigger screen.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #45
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

I just watched a vhs movie on a 110" screen and enjoyed it. Sure, the picture was pretty abysmal but the audio was just fine. I'm purchasing uhd movies moving forward but I still enjoy all previous formats to varying degrees. DVD still has a place but it is alarming how high the rate of purchase still is.
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (12-26-2019), i95 (08-01-2020), jonmoz (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinewolf View Post
Wishful thinking. Current statistics, like those provided by Lee A Stewart, seem to say otherwise.
PSV and Xbox Series X are going to finally put games on UHD due to storage capacity. So no more additional data downloading when installing games unless there's a patch.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #47

Aug 2019
Massachusetts, USA

Quote:
PSV and Xbox Series X are going to finally put games on UHD due to storage capacity. So no more additional data downloading when installing games unless there's a patch.
Well, that might increase UHD sales......................................a little.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (12-27-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #48
Expert Member

Oct 2014
El-A-Noy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorCampBlu View Post
The end of 2019 saw Dollar Tree stocking 4K and Criterion's for $1
Man, I wish that were my Dollar Tree. I've never seen a Criterion there and have only seen Smurfs 2 on 4K (one copy). I'm all over it when they get new movie shipments too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbuffguy View Post
A few people found the ONE title of each of those formats, so let's not go overboard man. And most of this last DT dump was stuff from Canada.
Oh.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #49
Special Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
I just watched a vhs movie on a 110" screen and enjoyed it. Sure, the picture was pretty abysmal but the audio was just fine. I'm purchasing uhd movies moving forward but I still enjoy all previous formats to varying degrees. DVD still has a place but it is alarming how high the rate of purchase still is.
What projector do you use?, I must admit VHS on a 110 inch screen sounds pretty grim to me.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #50
Special Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Quote:
Even then it's still a small take up, the core console generations from Sony and Microsoft are only around 180 million or so, compare this to mobile gaming and it's tiny, the reason they both continue to make money is the online subscriptions and DLC on every title.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
So basically no change. The way giant patches get rolled out almost immediately you'll still be stuck downloading in most cases. I remember getting Steep for example. 20GB install seemed it would go quick via disc. The problem? They basically rewrote core game logic during the year so when i finally bought it, it ignored the disc and had to download a new 20GB version instead. And that was using the newer disc version that was released with the Olympic addition (which actually just meant a 400KB license file)
Thanks given by:
tangerinewolf (12-27-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #52
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmoz View Post
What projector do you use?, I must admit VHS on a 110 inch screen sounds pretty grim to me.
Grim is a good word to describe it but it was a movie only available on VHS home media so far. It was still palatable to watch. I have an older (bought roughly 9 years ago) JVC DLA-HD950 (RS-25). Although it looks and works great it definitely is time for an upgrade.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #53
Special Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Quote:
Grim is a good word to describe it but it was a movie only available on VHS home media so far. It was still palatable to watch. I have an older (bought roughly 9 years ago) JVC DLA-HD950 (RS-25). Although it looks and works great it definitely is time for an upgrade.
The JVC projectors have always been good, feed them a Blu-ray source and your fine, the black levels on them are just superb, I have just replaced the bulb on mine and it's brand new again.
Thanks given by:
RalphoR (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #54

Jul 2018
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky G View Post
I still believe people are okay with DVD quality.
And I'm one of those people who still watch DVDs.
Thanks given by:
canucksam (12-31-2019), dublinbluray108 (12-29-2019), InGen (12-28-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #55
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013

Quote:
The JVC projectors have always been good, feed them a Blu-ray source and your fine, the black levels on them are just superb, I have just replaced the bulb on mine and it's brand new again.
I don't even have 1,300 hours on the original bulb. If it weren't for the fact it lacks a lot of technology I want I'd just keep it. For projectors I'm extremely happy with JVC. It even makes VHS tapes as good as they can be....let alone DVDs.
Thanks given by:
jonmoz (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #56
Special Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Quote:
I don't even have 1,300 hours on the original bulb. If it weren't for the fact it lacks a lot of technology I want I'd just keep it. For projectors I'm extremely happy with JVC. It even makes VHS tapes as good as they can be....let alone DVDs.
I have the JVC DLA-X500B which has the 4k e-shift tech on it, to be honest I can't see an awful lot of difference with it turned on and it runs the projector at full power and the fan is a lot noisier, I will at some point upgrade to either the JVC or possibly Sony 4K models.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #57
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013

Quote:
I have the JVC DLA-X500B which has the 4k e-shift tech on it, to be honest I can't see an awful lot of difference with it turned on and it runs the projector at full power and the fan is a lot noisier, I will at some point upgrade to either the JVC or possibly Sony 4K models.
Thats a nice projector. I'm going through the same process with Sony and JVC. I've got Sony TVs but never a projector from them. It's going to take something special to move away from JVC.
Thanks given by:
jonmoz (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #58
Expert Member

Jul 2013
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
UHD will replace Blu-ray as the preferred format before DVD bows out.
I hope not. Should that happen, I will go back to DVD instead of going to UHD. Or switch to streaming.

UHD can KMA

Last edited by heineken; 12-27-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (12-28-2019), Jay H. (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #59
Special Member

Jan 2009
Bury U.K

Quote:
Thats a nice projector. I'm going through the same process with Sony and JVC. I've got Sony TVs but never a projector from them. It's going to take something special to move away from JVC.
One of the best things about it is how dark the black bars are when projected onto my screen, I have a 16:9 screen and they are much better than my previous projector.

I watched "Knives out" at my local VUE cinema, they now operate the same system with a 16:9 screen, and black bars top and bottom depending on the movies aspect ratio.
Thanks given by:
RalphoR (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 03:39 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-
-