Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 day ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.11

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Pride & Prejudice (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 day ago
To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Earwig and the Witch (Blu-ray)
$14.63
1 day ago
His Dark Materials: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harley Quinn: The Complete First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
$20.77

Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Blood Shadow (Blu-ray)
$13.61

One Piece: Collection 26 (Blu-ray)
$28.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 06-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2008

Alex Kurtzman blows.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #42
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

‘Clarice’: Kal Penn Speaks Of “Thoughtful Thriller” CBS Series As He Joins ‘Silence Of the Lambs’ Sequel

https://deadline.com/2020/05/clarice...tz-1202930430/
Thanks given by:
Himmel (06-17-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012

Quote:
Clarice Starling will not be reduced to being a run-of-the-mill weekly crimesolver when CBS’ Silence of the Lambs follow-up series arrives at midseason.

Greenlit in May and now five weeks into production, Clarice stars Aussie actress Rebecca Breeds (The Originals, Pretty Little Liars) in the role played on film by Jodie Foster, and promises “a deep dive into the untold personal story of FBI Agent Clarice Starling as she returns to the field in 1993,” six months after the events of The Silence of the Lambs. Both “brilliant and vulnerable,” Clarice has a “complex psychological makeup that comes from a challenging childhood empowers her to begin to find her voice while working in a man’s world, as well as escape the family secrets that have haunted her throughout her life,” the official logline reminds us.

“Hannibal [Lecter] is an incredible character, as is [FBI agent] Will Graham,” Clarice executive producer Alex Kurtzman noted in the latest THR’s Top 5 podcast, “but Clarice Starling has a truly unique amazing psychology, and part of why Silence of the Lambs was so wonderful is the film put you so squarely in her shoes.”

Acknowledging the “responsibilities and expectations” that come with continuing such a hero’s story, Kurtzman said, “I’ll tell what we didn’t want [the TV series] to be. We didn’t want it to be Clarice Starling: The Procedural. We just weren’t go to make that show…. And MGM, who was gracious enough to trust us with the rights to Clarice, had no interest in making that show.”

As such, Kurtzman envisioned Clarice as a streaming series, but CBS CCO David Nevins lobbied for it to air on CBS proper. “I said, ‘I don’t see that. I’m not go to reduce it to a procedural,'” Kurtzman recalled. “[David] said, ‘You can do whatever show you want.’ I said, ‘It’s going to be serialized,’ he said, ‘Do it on the network.’ I said, ‘Are you sure?’ and he said yes.”

And to date, CBS has stayed true to its word. “Everybody, top down at the network, has not given us one note to make it more procedural since we started,” Kurtzman avowed. “It’s actually been kind of amazing.”

Kurtzman allowed that while there is inherently a procedural element to the titular FBI agent’s investigations, Clarice very much leads with “a sense of emotional psychology. The title of the pilot is ‘The Silence Is Over,’ and that’s actually what we want the outline for the show to be. It’s ‘Clarice Starling is finally speaking,’ and she’s exploring lots of new things about herself after the trauma of Buffalo Bill.”

And considering the rich backstory the character was given in the Thomas Harris novels, “There’s so much to dig into there,” Kurtzman noted.
https://tvline.com/2020/10/13/claric...ot-procedural/
Thanks given by:
CyberpunkCentral (10-15-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #44
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2012
Origae-6

Thanks given by:
CyberpunkCentral (12-08-2020), DR Herbert West (12-08-2020), postmodel (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #45
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Not Hannibal: Season Four, but I'm really liking the tone.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Denver, CO

Very, very skeptical of this. I’ll give it a chance (unless reviews completely rip it to pieces), but it’ll be a tough mountain to climb to actually develop Clarice from The Silence of Lambs into a character that speaks her mind. That’s what they’re implying from the description posted above anyway, and making that transition is super tricky. Clarice has never struck me as someone that speaks a lot, so if they do indeed make her more ‘communicative’, it’ll be tough to develop her into that while still having it make sense for her character. That “The Silence is Over” tag line makes me even more apprehensive.

I just have a hard time believing that CBS will make this character justice, especially given their track record with reboots of other properties, which have not been the best at all.

Hopefully they’ll surprise us though, and we’ll get something to the level of Hannibal even if the tone is different. Which btw, I did like the tone of the teaser. Still interested in this but with a lot of reservations. Non-procedural is good, but that’s like the barest of the minimum they should do. This property and her character requires a lot more than just that to make it justice.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ1991 View Post
Rebecca Breeds. He even made the font larger.
Does she breed confidence in the role? I'll see myself out.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

The teaser is more cinematic than I thought it would be. Probably realized that in order to even be in the same ballpark as Hannibal, they'd have to up their production. I'm still expecting a failure (unless CBS actually let them make an uncensored show for streaming and then just censors the TV broadcast), but I'm liking the look and tone so far. If Hannibal was inspired by David Lynch, then this looks more inspired by David Fincher. I hope it's good, but I'm expecting it not to be.

Last edited by CrazyBlu-RayFan; 12-10-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:49 AM   #49
Blu-ray Prince

May 2018
Arkham, MA

“Clarice”: Hannibal Definitely Will Not Appear in ‘Silence of the Lambs’ Sequel Series from CBS
Old 12-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #50
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

I'm sure they will still have references and nods to Hannibal Lecter in the show. Just like how there were a lot of elements of Clarice in the Hannibal show...

Old 12-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Denmark

They make it sound as if Kurtzman and co. made a creative choice of 'nah, we don't need Hannibal Lecter, so we won't write him into our show'.

They didn't have that choice.

Hannibal showrunner Bryan Fueller planned a future season that would introduce a new character that was essentially a Clarice Starling 2.0, without ever using any material from Silence Of The Lambs, due to rights issues. MGM wouldn't play ball. Well, that season never came to be, but I reckon that De Laurentiis has no desire to allow Hannibal to be used in Kurtzman's series. What comes around, goes around.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #52
Blu-ray Prince

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Hannibal wouldn't really have a place in this series. There's a ten year period where Clarice had zero contact with him.
Thanks given by:
Eye Candy (01-08-2021)
Old 12-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Herbert West View Post
Hannibal wouldn't really have a place in this series. There's a ten year period where Clarice had zero contact with him.
I agree and you are entirely correct, but...

[leans in]

(... I don't think Kurtzman gives a rats ass about continuity)
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Herbert West View Post
You’re not thinking 4th-dimensionally!

They don’t have the rights. If the show is set during a period in which Hannibal is missing, they made that choice because they couldn’t use Hannibal. It’s not a creative choice.

They can use characters who debuted in Silence and characters who debuted in Silence only. No Hannibal. No Crawford. No Chilton. They’ll have access to John Brigham, Pail Krendler, Ardelia Mapp, Barney, the Martins. Roden & Pilcher etc. They could have Buffalo Bill in flashbacks and stuff. That’s about it. When they utilize these characters and work around Hannibal and Crawford and Chilton you can be 100% certain that they did this for legal reasons not creative reasons. Fact: nobody wants to write Paul Krendler and Catherine Martin but not Hannibal Lecter.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #55
Blu-ray Prince

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
You’re not thinking 4th-dimensionally!

They don’t have the rights. If the show is set during a period in which Hannibal is missing, they made that choice because they couldn’t use Hannibal. It’s not a creative choice.

They can use characters who debuted in Silence and characters who debuted in Silence only. No Hannibal. No Crawford. No Chilton. They’ll have access to John Brigham, Pail Krendler, Ardelia Mapp, Barney, the Martins. Roden & Pilcher etc. They could have Buffalo Bill in flashbacks and stuff. That’s about it. When they utilize these characters and work around Hannibal and Crawford and Chilton you can be 100% certain that they did this for legal reasons not creative reasons. Fact: nobody wants to write Paul Krendler and Catherine Martin but not Hannibal Lecter.
I'm fine with it. I don't want another Hannibal (Hopkins or nothing).
Old 12-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #56
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Thanks given by:
BluPat (01-04-2021), Himmel (12-30-2020), postmodel (12-30-2020)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #57
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

I bet if this is a big hit, NBC will give strong consideration to green lighting a 4th season of Hannibal.

[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
ghostsofjoy (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 12:57 AM   #58
Expert Member

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I bet if this is a big hit, NBC will give strong consideration to green lighting a 4th season of Hannibal.

[Show spoiler]
I don't know, think that's a reach. Kind of reminds me of back in the day when Kristen Bell was telling everyone to go see her crappy romantic comedy that was coming out because it would totally convince someone to greenlight a Veronica Mars movie.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:42 AM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

NBC doesn’t even own Hannibal. If it ever returns NBC will probably be the last place you’d see it.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:14 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016
New Bedford, Massachusetts

I'm sure they'll make Clarice all nice and dolled up for television in yet another glossy, digitally pretty, and utterly cliche and routine police procedural. Just what this IP needed.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows