Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
8 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$29.49
8 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
7 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
8 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
14 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Thunderbolt (Blu-ray)
$16.59
9 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Clay Pigeons (Blu-ray)
$16.59
7 hrs ago
Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
Banned

Mar 2019
Default Coronavirus (NO POLITICAL OR SOCIAL COMMENTARY PLEASE)

over 300 now dead as of this typing. over 14k confirmed cases. We still dont know exactly where or how it started. It was previously thought to be linked to Huanan Seafood Market because many of the initial victims said they had gone there but they ruled it out as being the original source. But after watching a few videos it wouldnt surprise me if this strain came fron multiple wet markets. These markets sell live chickens, spotted deer, bats, ostriches, dogs, civets, centipedes, hedgehogs, frogs just to name a few. from the videos I have watched there are dead animals lying around, along with their entrails in close proximity to live ones.. raw meat lying out in the open for God knows how long.

I believe SARS was started this way.. animal to human contact initially and then it spread from there

I think I read that China has now banned the sale of live animals so as to cut down on the spread of disease.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

We know it started in Wuhan, China. Unfortunately, with the Chinese government not be straight forward they allowed it to escalate to the current state. Given the ease of travel in today's world, this should be a warning to the world that travel restrictions should be implemented early to prevent the spread of viruses around the world.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

There should have been a travel ban early on but that would've been the smart thing to do, so they didn't do it.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Banned

May 2019

This virus is not new. Why are people freaking out about it now? Everything works out in the end. Nothing really bad will happen.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Banned

Mar 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringperson View Post
This virus is not new. Why are people freaking out about it now? Everything works out in the end. Nothing really bad will happen.
so far it isnt apocalyptic but its somewhat flippant to downplay something that has killed 300 innocent people, brought international travel to a standstill for millions, and has put a fairly large dent in the Chinese economy due to mass quarantines and travel restrictions. its probably not a good idea to "freak out" as you say, but also a good idea to take precautions if you know youre going to be coming in contact with people from affected areas

Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbpxl View Post
so far it isnt apocalyptic but its somewhat flippant to downplay something that has killed 300 innocent people, brought international travel to a standstill for millions, and has put a fairly large dent in the Chinese economy due to mass quarantines and travel restrictions. its probably not a good idea to "freak out" as you say, but also a good idea to take precautions if you know youre going to be coming in contact with people from affected areas
People should always be precautious (as in wash your hands and stuff). And it is sad for those 300 people, but it is nothing compared to the 12,000-61,000 that die each year in the US due to the flu https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

the issue with any new pathogen is that there is no stats to know what it means (how does it spread, what is the mortality rate….), and so governments need to over react assuming the worst case scenario before it is too late (in a world where people travel like crazy and from one side of the world to the other in no time something that is deadly and easily spread could decimate the population in no time flat). But individuals need to keep calm and not go nuts with it and realise we are discussing a tempest in a tea cup that is very far away.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Banned

May 2019

Wouldn't it be interesting if I contracted the corona virus after suggesting people not worry about it?

Old 02-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbpxl View Post
I believe SARS was started this way.. animal to human contact initially and then it spread from there
it is more complicated then that. Some viruses (or pathogens) are extremely tied to some species, others manage to "jump" from one to the other. The ones that evolve in humans are more of a known factor so they tend to be less scary (i.e. your body beat it last year and it is slightly different so your body is ready to beat it this year) but the ones that just jumped species will be gharder to fight.

Not exactly what we are talking about but think of when the first ]Europeans came to the Americas, their bodies where used to small pox and other European diseases, the Native Americans were not so a lot of them dies because their bodies did not know how to deal with it.

In modern times, with so much travel, something like that European/Native American scenario is less likely, but every time there is a species jump none of our bodies have fought anything like it.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:06 AM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2012
Origae-6

Thailand 'cures' coronavirus with anti-HIV drug cocktail in 48 hours

Source

Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 03:16 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himmel View Post
Thailand 'cures' coronavirus with anti-HIV drug cocktail in 48 hours

Source

Thanks given by:
Himmel (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #11

Oct 2010
Kelso

Less than ten thousand infected in China. A country with over one billion people. So that's like 0.001% of the population.

Last edited by John The Grudge; 02-04-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #12
Banned

May 2019

People are taking this way too seriously.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:25 AM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Grudge View Post
Less than ten thousand infected in China. A country with over one billion people. So that's like 0.0001% of the population.
Chinese officials are currently announcing over double that number and it's still a fraction of those that are and will be infected.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:20 AM   #14
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

There's a good docuseries playing right now on Netflix (6 Episodes, about 4 hours and 40 minutes) ...
Check it out (I did) ...

https://www.fastcompany.com/90457009...quired-viewing

https://www.ccn.com/bill-gates-predi...x-documentary/

Old 02-04-2020, 02:33 AM   #15
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

In regards to the number of people infected by the Coronavirus ...
https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-...-alone-2913946

And in regards to the number of people dead from the Coronavirus ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/w...rus-china.html

In my best estimation those numbers are extremely conservative.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

We're talking mainly China here ...
And please don't eat bats.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #16

Oct 2010
Kelso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Chinese officials are currently announcing over double that number and it's still a fraction of those that are and will be infected.
Even if it's a hundred thousand that's still less than 0.01% of the Chinese population. I'm not saying it's trivial but it's not nearly as big as the media are portraying.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #17
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I wouldn't put too much weight on what the medias are reporting from China.

Go Global Health with WHO
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ronavirus-2019

And even that international organization needs to update constantly every hour.
Check that link above and navigate several sections, including the present situation which will open a document in your computer.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:26 AM   #18
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I wouldn't trust CNN news, they are heavily biased, the numbers are probably much more in actual reality ...

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/c...hnk/index.html

Best is to check reliable sources ... WHO

I don't think there's anything to fear; it's all under control, supervised and well care of.
Tomorrow we'll be watching a new movie on 4K Blu-ray ...

It's when you fear that you lose your cool, that you stressed out, that the disease spreads, ...the virus. Best to relax and go to the theater to watch 1917, or that new doc on Netflix I was just mentioning prior ... Pandemic.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #19
Banned

Sep 2009
Florida

Starting to look like this was a bio weapon most likely meant for the U.S. that accidentally got released. You won't hear that from CNN or other mainstream news outlets, China has them in their pocket. The fascists that run Twitter are already banning people that aren't going along with the narrative...

Everything is fine, CHINA LOVES US!!!!

Old 02-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #20
Banned

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
Starting to look like this was a bio weapon most likely meant for the U.S. that accidentally got released. You won't hear that from CNN or other mainstream news outlets, China has them in their pocket. The fascists that run Twitter are already banning people that aren't going along with the narrative...

Everything is fine, CHINA LOVES US!!!!

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat