Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.46
21 hrs ago
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.71

Wings of the Hawk 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.82

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 03-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Banned

Mar 2018
Default Custom mods / adapters to make 2D TVs 3D compatible

A while back I heard of a shop in Chicago,IL that did country conversions and 3D firmware installations into newer sets. Allowing the use of B locked and give 3D capabilty. At the begining you were give a choice to load into a 3D firmware or 2D firmware, and what region code. Anybody remember hearing about this place or what brand of TV they were modding?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC123ABC View Post
A while back I heard of a shop in Chicago,IL that did country conversions and 3D firmware installations into newer sets. Allowing the use of B locked and give 3D capabilty. At the begining you were give a choice to load into a 3D firmware or 2D firmware, and what region code. Anybody remember hearing about this place or what brand of TV they were modding?
Nice idea! Places the additional cost for 3D capability to only 3D enthusiasts who want the option that no one else would have to deal with.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
Expert Member

Nov 2014
-
-

Every time I see one of these posts I wish someone would test one of these fury devices with an oled tv, preferably The new lg cx.
https://www.hdfury.com/product/hdfury-x4/
I believe they pretty much do the same with out modding the tv, thus not removing the warranty.
It really a shame this company has never made a promotional video demonstrating this functionality.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:29 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazina31 View Post
Every time I see one of these posts I wish someone would test one of these fury devices with an oled tv, preferably The new lg cx.
https://www.hdfury.com/product/hdfury-x4/
I believe they pretty much do the same with out modding the tv, thus not removing the warranty.
It really a shame this company has never made a promotional video demonstrating this functionality.
This device to me is a no no, they have a disclaimer that it is not supported on LCD TVs.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
Banned

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Nice idea! Places the additional cost for 3D capability to only 3D enthusiasts who want the option that no one else would have to deal with.
If I recall, it was an older 3D firmware that could be flashed into a chip then one could boot up the TV. It only needed to be changed when switching to 3D media. It must be done prior to, and cannot be switched while TV was on.

I think it was a passive line of TVs. It had 4k and 3D in a newer model.

?

Last edited by MC123ABC; 03-10-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #6

Jul 2015
Default Customizing Firmware

If a project gets underway to have customized firmware for current sets, count me in. I'll contribute the software programming knowledge gained over many years, to this custom 3D software project. That includes coding!! Would love to be a part of keeping 3D sets available.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Banned

Mar 2018

If all the material that is needed be the passive dark glasses. Look how long Red and Blue anaglyph lasted, and how basic the glasses became to fit the packaging. Stuck in dime store comic books for instance.

If it is only firmware that allows the display to happen, that is software. Why couldn't it add the 3D display level to any modern set? A Brand seems to run its particular engine of display on all sets. Similar options and menu trees.

An OLED display emitter can already change the polarization of the light emitted from each pixel to the desired orientation for each eye.

Last edited by MC123ABC; 03-12-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2010
Default Could companies provide software update/option to add 3D to current/future TVs?

I'm not fully sure about the technology generally involved with 3D and TVs, so please be patient with my ignorance.

Is it feasible for companies to provide a software update/option to add a passive 3D feature for their current/future TVs? Or is certain hardware in addition to software needed to make this work? Or, could an independent company create an app for smart TVs that could be purchased to view 3D movies in passive 3D?

If it can be done via software only, I would happily pay a (reasonable) fee in addition to the cost of a new TV to a company for this to be able to be done.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

you will need hardware, current panels cannot do 3D with just a software update.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
you will need hardware, current panels cannot do 3D with just a software update.
I thought I read here differently. I would innately agree with you but I believe I was told I was wrong about that. Would be nice if you could!
Thanks given by:
BLMN (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I thought I read here differently. I would innately agree with you but I believe I was told I was wrong about that. Would be nice if you could!
i think i remember a theory about that here but honestly if it was that simple it would've been done already.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #12
Banned

Mar 2018

I was told from a tech about 10 years ago.

"An OLED display emitter can already change the polarization of the light emitted from each pixel to the desired orientation for each eye."

If this is true then , all the hardware you will need are the passive glasses.

There is no extra screen level, or filter layer. It is all done by the OLED emitter.

Much has changed since I was told this. They stopped selling 3D TV's for one. I do not remember the brand it was. Also if it was that at one time all OLED emitters had 3D capability and in 2017 that changed? I do not have that information. That would explain the old firmware unlocking common functions in the hardware. Just speculating.

The company could? have been Multi System Electronics out of ElkGrove, IL. The location fits. At one time they had a website. Their phone number is still working. I called and they have no idea what i was talking about. Yet they sell modded 3D blu ray players to play A,B,C regions on ebay. Curious? So it is a dead end either way. Also the screen name of the tech was Dan the TV Repair Man, they never heard of him. Still my intuition tells me that has got to be the place.

Last edited by MC123ABC; 03-24-2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #13

Mar 2017

I suggested using a Sega Master System- like technology to turn ANY TV into a 3DTV. Regardless of size, brand, ratio. Resolution, color depth, ping time, etc.

The way to do it is to make it look like a Wang Chung video, but have the recessive eye hidden in broadcasts, and activate a shutter glasses system by alternating frames.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:38 AM   #14

Sep 2020

I am brand new and trying to post about something I stumbled upon regarding possible new LG OLEDs that do 3D. Here's the post. Sorry to kinda hijack but it does apply.

I was doing the same search I have been doing since OLED 3D Tv's were discontinued years ago, and I stumbled upon this page. There is now mention of new 4K OLEDs that have "3D4".

Has anyone heard about this yet? I can't believe I haven't stumbled upon it in any of the techblogs I usually visit.

Am I crazy, or is this potentially a BIG deal for 3D TV fans?

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/smart-tv-displays

Straight from the page:

"3D Smart TVs
LG Smart TVs with 3D4 are available with OLED 4K and UHD displays. By incorporating the latest 3D technology, they deliver startling realism and depth – creating a picture that's so real you can almost reach out and touch it. In addition, with our 2D-to-3D conversion feature, with just the touch of a button you can turn virtually any 2D programming into a stunning 3D experience."
Old 01-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #15

Mar 2017
Cool "As seen on TV" universal 3d TV adapter

Looking on eBay, I type in Universal 3D adapter and all I see are Universal shutter glasses, they usually fall into 3 classes, either Universal IR Universal RF or Universal Bluetooth.

I know enough people are concerned about making sure 3D movies will be able to be played in the future.

Also people want the TV they want and not have just a limited selection of one model that's 3D.

I was thinking of an invention that would turn any 2D TV into a 3D TV. To make it as cheap as possible, it'll only take pre-existing 3D content and convert the TV into a 3D TV.

Sega proved you could already do that with the CRT TV by making the Sega Scope. If I could find a device that could accurately keep the 3D sink signal in an HDMI to VGA converter I can watch 3D on a CRT TV.

But the question is how do you make a modern TV compatible with 3D.

It seems like the one thing you have to do to make it work is sync the start of frame signal with the glasses.

The closest thing I've seen is a Sony adapter that works for any Sony 3D Ready TV but it has a proprietary plug on it as far as I could tell so that only certain TVs are considered 3D ready.

Since me making money will risk my Social Security, I would like to share the theory on how to achieve this. I want to see if this is a sound theory and if someone could build a practical machine that does it.

I have no idea what I'm talking about with TV signals but I'm making certain assumptions if these assumptions are true then these could be used to build something so. Take these as assumptions that if true could be easily taken advantage of to build what I want.

By the way my theorizing of how things work looking at practical World things and how to extend them has led me to create my ambidextrous fight stick sitter sticks when my builder stand escalano wasn't sure if it would practically work and was surprised that it worked exactly the way it was meant to.

I assume that the only reason why the master system works with any TV is because it assumes you have a CRT TV and a CRT TV delivers a picture instantly on a continuous sweep of a line over many lines.

I assume the beginning of a frame has some sort of electronic signal that could be sensed by something to indicate the something this is the frame starting. Let's call it the frame start signal.

The reason why Sega scope could do it we just said sing when the Sega generates the start of frame signal is because the timing is either so close to instant or fixed where it's very predictable and constant throughout multiple lines of TVs.

I'm assuming if you could tell when the starter frame signal would be synced up with the outgoing TV broadcast after significant delays that most Gamers complained about, that's literally the only thing stopping an easy add-on 3D adapter for any brand TV

I know different things can be hidden in different signals. So for non-crt TV you need two things a dongle on the inputs of the TV where it senses when the frame start signal comes in from the video game 3D Blu-ray player TV antenna cable or satellite system or whatever the sources. what it needs to do is throw in a code in the soundtrack of the video.

Why the soundtrack because more TVs have audio outputs than they do video outputs. Heck The Arc Port is just audio that's timed to the video once the video is displayed on the TV.

The other thing you need is a dongle on the other end of an output usually that would be an HDMI ARC but it could be Toslink audio or even LR RCA.

This portion needs to be analog because quickness is the key. If a signal could be sent into the audio played into the TV ignored as extraneous code then be sent out through the arc or the tasseling or the LR received taken out so it goes back to what the sound was before it was encoded it derives a timing signal from the encoding the decoding and removing the code.

at this point the only thing that matters is that the timing of the signal is correct so that Eleanor shutters will shutter properly, and that the original sound is preserved.

If the only thing that matters is timing then you could get away with a Billy Mays and Sully version of a 3D adapter that you could sell for like 10 to 20 bucks on a 1-800 number on late night TV.

for active that's really all you have to do to make any TV active is sync the glasses with the TV signal.

However passive requires more work because you have to ate install the passive filters in front of the TV and be you have to know what kind of TV it is so because different TVs have different lineups of where the l&r polar lines are. Plus people say 3D polar screens make 2D watching bad.

That would be another benefit to this is that 2D programs would be unaffected.

Maybe someone could add these paradigms in a way they could communicate with each other in time (I assume wired is faster than Wireless so it would be wired.)

and I even got the name for it cuz that's what sells these things on late night TV: the Depth Charge. A turbo charges your TV by adding depth.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:39 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

There are devices that do work and I am just sorry they are now out of production. The one I have for my home theater system in the den, as many know, is the 3D video wizard. Yes, it is anaglythic but also utilizes a different combination of colors in the glasses. Though already discontinued, a few years back I was able to get an unopened package through Amazon for just $40. Used ones were going for double the price so I lucked in.

Now I recently re-tweaked both my HD monitor and 3d Blu-ray player attached to the 3D video Wizard using the Vivid modes which I would never attempt for normal watching. Though already happy with its performance, I did so after viewing what I believe is a reference quality disc, Botanica, on my 3D active monitor and then found it lacking a lot of the punch using the video wizard. Just turning on the vivid mode showed an increase in depth and pop-up but with an obviously over saturation of color, contrast, etc. So I again used a calibration disc and then slightly altered certain settings using Botanica as a reference.

This did further enhance the 3D experience without distorting the detail and color saturation. Now, I will admit it does not totally recreate the jaw dropping experience of my main system. However, when considering it is a plug and play device not utilizing the latest stereoscopic technology, one has to be impressed with the 3D quality achieved. Objects do appear a bit beyond the screen and there is certainly a good amount of depth.

This is a device that nine years ago sold for around $100 and would not cause one to replace a HD monitor that, at the time, would have been a fairly recent purchase. I do not know how well this product was marketed. It was being sold through QVC and HSN. Nor can I say it was the best device of its type manufacturered at the time. But it does work.

The problem is it requires a tremendous amount of calibration and tweaking right out of the box which the average consumer would not have the understanding or patience to undertake. Most are not home theater enthusiasts. When I first attached the device I got tremendous ghosting and color bleeding. There was only a brightness control on the device along with basic suggestions on how to improve the picture by lowering sharpness, etc. I was disappointed and my guess is most would have thought it as a piece of junk. But being an enthusiast, I put an effort into trying to improve the picture properly.

Not wanting to disturb the HD calibrations already in place, I used the monitor's movie mode whose settings were independent from the custom mode. It eliminated most all the ghosting and improved the depth and picture quality. As previously pointed out, I was very satisfied with the 3D effect. Its just that I wanted to see if I could get more punch after seeing how great Botanica looked on my Sony.

It had not occured to me to combine the vivid modes as starting points. Note, the picture is too bright, etc for standard bluray so these modes and settings only apply to watching 3D. I never would have made these adjustments if it meant altering the picture quality on standard Blu-ray and HD broadcasting. Fortunately today's monitors allow for independent settings for each picture mode.

So I am now even more satisfied with the 3D effect I get. It is still a bit less powerful compared to a properly callibrated 3D monitor but I would still rate it close to an eight out of ten compared to my Sony. Now the Sony is also a 50 inch screen compared to the 37 in the den so I do not know how the wizard would look on a larger screen. Perhaps better, perhaps worse.

But I do know inexpensive add on devices do work. In the case of the video wizard, it does require extensive tweaking. This probably would still be the norm if these types of devices were available today, as was the case with the recently discontinued 3D Edison. And that could be a turn off for the average consumer expecting a good picture right out of the box.

Last edited by Joe D.; 01-12-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #17

Jul 2011

My understanding is that 3D TV's had a chip to decode the 3D. I am curious if it would be possible to create an app for a smart TV that would emulate the chip. The TV would need to have Bluetooth but I believe that is fairly common in moderate to high end models.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:50 AM   #18

Mar 2017

Okay so there needs to be an add-on 3D chip playing chip.

So what do you guys think about my theory of embedding something in the audio which would be the frame start signal so that if you go in the special box with a 3D decoder chip that could accurately read 3D, then y split it, so the HDMI goes TV and a different signal goes to the dongle that attaches to the output whether it's a HDMI, Toslink, Coaxial, or RCA LR.

The input device reads the video Start frame signal and then encodes the audio with the timing blip left eye on the left track right eye on the right track.

Then the output dongle receives the sync signal, and actually it's the glasses appropriately.

This should work perfectly if you have 3.5 mm connectors and no charging is necessary.

The only problem is most people want Wireless and you have to compensate for wireless transmission time.

I think analog FM radio has instant ping time. If that's the case, then you just need to make a combined goggle set that receives FM sound data.

How do I know FM is close to instant because I don't get the Rita Repulsa effect when I listen through an FM transmitter and receive it on a consumer non-digital FM radio.

If instant timing is the key to this working right then let's buy all the nanoseconds we could get.

So we need an external 3D decoder, a way to read the frame start signal, and a way to tell when it's shown on the TV.

So how much does a 3D TV reading chip cost?
That's the way you could externally add it to any TV.

is it true if you could decode the 3D signal and you could time the shutter glasses right then any TV could be an active 3D TV?

If there's nothing else you need to do then we got ourselves a blueprint for the universal depth charge.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:59 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

LCD 3D TVs using active shutter glasses use a strobed backlight or scanning backlight to reduce 3D crosstalk during shutter glasses operation. How are you going to duplicate that?
Old 01-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #20

Mar 2017

That's why I'm offering up my plans, to see if someone can swiss cheese it. Better now than when money is invested.

I notice on a slow mo replay of Monday Night Raw, the LCD screens in the awning alternate between a graphic and a black screen.

So based on the slow mo, LCDs(?) strobes black.

Is the strobing essential to shutter 3d, or an advancement?

I know CRTs have a "motion strobe" giant analog sweeps of light that follow one after the other.

I don't understand the modern TV technologies enough.

Thank you Lee for showing Black strobe is essential to it working. (Or you said white strobe makes 3d better. Is it essential or a just a niceity?)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Tags
invention, syncer, universal 3d add on