Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
11 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
11 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
10 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
17 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
40 min ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Indiana Jones 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
8 hrs ago
Bringing Up Baby (Blu-ray)
$27.99
40 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-31-2021, 02:19 AM   #41
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
‘Batman: The Long Halloween Part One’ Rated PG-13 for “Violence” and “Bloody Images”
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlu-RayFan View Post
Part Two - Official MPA Rating: Rated R for
Some Violence and Bloody Images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post

Funny that Part One has "Violence" and "Bloody Images" and gets a PG-13, but Part Two only has "Some Violence" and "Bloody Images" and gets an R.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:55 AM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
What is part one rated? I saw part 2 is R. I only watch animated DC movies if they're rated PG-13
Part 1 is PG-13. However, I'm sure the combination edit will probably be R rated.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:17 AM   #43
Special Member

Aug 2018
Forest Hills, NY

For the past few months, I've tended to forget that this movie is coming, and then when I remember and see that not much has really been revealed for it yet, I worry that it's gotten canceled. Nice to see that it's still happening- feels like forever ago that it was announced.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:06 AM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2012

Quote:

Funny that Part One has "Violence" and "Bloody Images" and gets a PG-13, but Part Two only has "Some Violence" and "Bloody Images" and gets an R.
It’s because only “some violence” reaches R level while Part 1 has more violence at PG-13 level (look at the difference in rating description between theatrical and extended cuts of third Hobbit movie for instance). From what I understand all the Batman animated movies rated R since Killing Joke weren’t necessarily designed that way, the filmmakers just made borderline films and WB said they would accept whatever rating comes down without requesting edits (you can see the difference between them and something like Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay which was designed around an R rating).

Part 1 and Part 2 will probably be similar content wise, just that there are a few moments in Part 2 where the blood level was a bit high for the MPA.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
It’s because only “some violence” reaches R level while Part 1 has more violence at PG-13 level (look at the difference in rating description between theatrical and extended cuts of third Hobbit movie for instance). From what I understand all the Batman animated movies rated R since Killing Joke weren’t necessarily designed that way, the filmmakers just made borderline films and WB said they would accept whatever rating comes down without requesting edits (you can see the difference between them and something like Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay which was designed around an R rating).

Part 1 and Part 2 will probably be similar content wise, just that there are a few moments in Part 2 where the blood level was a bit high for the MPA.
I'm sure you're right, but it's the way it's worded that sounds funny. “Some violence” as opposed to simply "violence" makes it sound less in quantity and less in the level of graphic depiction, especially when comparing two parts of essentially the same film with different ratings.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:15 PM   #46
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2012
Origae-6

'Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One' Sets Voice Cast

Quote:
A time-honored Batman tale is coming to the screen with the animated Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One. Supernatural's Jensen Ackles leads the cast as Batman/Bruce Wayne after previously voicing Jason Todd/Red Hood in 2010's Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Among the ensemble voice cast is Naya Rivera, the late Glee star who died in July. Rivera completed her voice work as Catwoman/Selina Kyle for The Long Halloween, which will be a two-part project, with Part One expected to bow this spring or summer.

Other stars include Josh Duhamel as Harvey Dent, Billy Burke as James Gordon, Titus Welliver as Carmine Falcone, David Dastmalchian as Calendar Man, Troy Baker as Joker, Amy Landecker as Barbara Gordon, Julie Nathanson as Gilda Dent, Jack Quaid as Alberto, Fred Tatasciore as Solomon Grundy and Alastair Duncan as Alfred. Other voice work was performed by Frances Callier, Greg Chun, Gary Leroi Gray and Jim Pirri.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:36 PM   #47

Jul 2019

is this part of the dcau? i thought it ended with Apokolips War
Old 03-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion23c View Post
is this part of the dcau? i thought it ended with Apokolips War
It's supposed to be its own stand-alone two-parter.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:43 PM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

The design of Batman looks okay, I suppose, but I need to see more before judging the overall look and animation.

I will say that I am really disappointed that they didn't try to adapt the design style of artist Tim Sale. I had a feeling they were going to do this again, just like they didn't attempt anything resembling Mike Mignola's style with Gotham By Gaslight.
Thanks given by:
MattJ1991 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 06:18 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

It seems recently, they’ve been casting black women to play Catwoman, outside of Eartha Kitt, obviously, and it begs the question: should she be retconned into being a black woman for the comics? Given her background in class issues, it would be more appropriate and bring resonance to add her race into it. What do you all think?
Old 03-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #51
Special Member

Aug 2018
Forest Hills, NY

That's a really great cast, I must say. Glad to see Jensen graduate to Bat status, and Troy's Joker has been growing on me through the years. I'm also a fan of David Dastmalchin, and I love that he's such a big nerd himself and has been getting cast in all these DC and Marvel properties.

Naya Rivera's casting was a surprise. I never thought of her when thinking of Catwoman, but I can totally see it. She would even have made a good live-action Selina. It's going to be quite bittersweet, but I'm glad she got to finish it and will be immortalized.

As for Catwoman's ethnicity, I'm sort of Switzerland on the whole thing. I'm all for representation in comics- I don't think there's anything "woke" or "PC" or whatever about it. It's just a representation of real life. Especially in a city like Gotham, which is basically a mirror-universe New York, you'd think there'd be a fair amount of ethnicities, but the vast majority of characters are still caucasian. When it really comes down to it, switching any of the character's ethnicity wouldn't really change much, other than potentially opening the door for some potential prescient storylines. Personally I don't know which I'd prefer- having a character of color and writing a storyline around their ethnicity to shed light on real problems from the real world, or having a character of color and not calling attention to it. There are pros and cons to each.

Ultimately, there's always going to be someone throwing a fit over changing a popular character's ethnicity or playing to their ethnicity, but I'm all for it. Kids of all races should be able to look at a comic and see someone who represents them. The good part about comics and Multiverses is that, if you don't like one portrayal, just wait a little while, and there'll be one that appeals to you. I'm really intrigued by the casting of someone like Naya or Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. We had an African American man play Joker for 5 seasons, after all.
Thanks given by:
oneway23 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #52

Sep 2018
NY

Quote:

The design of Batman looks okay, I suppose, but I need to see more before judging the overall look and animation.

I will say that I am really disappointed that they didn't try to adapt the design style of artist Tim Sale. I had a feeling they were going to do this again, just like they didn't attempt anything resembling Mike Mignola's style with Gotham By Gaslight.
Also don't want to judge a single screenshot too harshly, BUT...this feels like such a missed opportunity to not try and at least capture some of the essence of Sale's style.

It looks way too much like the crummy, well-worn animation style they've been using, with rare exception, for ages now.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #53
Special Member

Aug 2018
Forest Hills, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway23 View Post
Also don't want to judge a single screenshot too harshly, BUT...this feels like such a missed opportunity to not try and at least capture some of the essence of Sale's style.

It looks way too much like the crummy, well-worn animation style they've been using, with rare exception, for ages now.
I can't say I'm surprised. I really hoped they'd at least try to find a happy medium with some of the designs, but I get it. Maybe there's some copyright issue with Sale's designs, or maybe they wanted more continuity with the existing DCAU, even if it is sort of a standalone thing. Maybe the designs didn't look that great in motion, who knows. We may get lucky and maybe the rest of the character designs will invoke more of the Sale style, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:54 PM   #54

Sep 2018
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsquash729 View Post
I can't say I'm surprised. I really hoped they'd at least try to find a happy medium with some of the designs, but I get it. Maybe there's some copyright issue with Sale's designs, or maybe they wanted more continuity with the existing DCAU, even if it is sort of a standalone thing. Maybe the designs didn't look that great in motion, who knows. We may get lucky and maybe the rest of the character designs will invoke more of the Sale style, but I'm not counting on it.
You're probably right. It just feels so cheap. They have frames where people barley move or scenes where mouths look like they aren't even speaking.

I was hoping, as a seminal story, that this would be given a little more attention. I'll do my best to reserve judgement until a trailer.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:58 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
That's a really great cast, I must say. Glad to see Jensen graduate to Bat status, and Troy's Joker has been growing on me through the years. I'm also a fan of David Dastmalchin, and I love that he's such a big nerd himself and has been getting cast in all these DC and Marvel properties.

Naya Rivera's casting was a surprise. I never thought of her when thinking of Catwoman, but I can totally see it. She would even have made a good live-action Selina. It's going to be quite bittersweet, but I'm glad she got to finish it and will be immortalized.

As for Catwoman's ethnicity, I'm sort of Switzerland on the whole thing. I'm all for representation in comics- I don't think there's anything "woke" or "PC" or whatever about it. It's just a representation of real life. Especially in a city like Gotham, which is basically a mirror-universe New York, you'd think there'd be a fair amount of ethnicities, but the vast majority of characters are still caucasian. When it really comes down to it, switching any of the character's ethnicity wouldn't really change much, other than potentially opening the door for some potential prescient storylines. Personally I don't know which I'd prefer- having a character of color and writing a storyline around their ethnicity to shed light on real problems from the real world, or having a character of color and not calling attention to it. There are pros and cons to each.

Ultimately, there's always going to be someone throwing a fit over changing a popular character's ethnicity or playing to their ethnicity, but I'm all for it. Kids of all races should be able to look at a comic and see someone who represents them. The good part about comics and Multiverses is that, if you don't like one portrayal, just wait a little while, and there'll be one that appeals to you. I'm really intrigued by the casting of someone like Naya or Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. We had an African American man play Joker for 5 seasons, after all.
Not sure if that counts. I mean James Earl Jones voiced Darth Vader.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:08 PM   #56
Special Member

Aug 2018
Forest Hills, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Not sure if that counts. I mean James Earl Jones voiced Darth Vader.
Fair enough. Then it certainly shouldn't matter if an actress of color voices Catwoman! More to the point, Cesar Romero, who was Cuban, played Joker in the 60's show. As long as they can embody the character properly, it shouldn't matter what color their skin is. Batman has always been about real people being heroes/villains. Which is why I think it's important for anyone, regardless of skin color, to be able to see themselves portrayed on screen or on the page.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:11 PM   #57
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
Off-World Colonies

Quote:
We had an African American man play Joker for 5 seasons, after all.
Huh?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #58
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2016
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Huh?
Kevin Michael Richardson voiced The Joker on The Batman.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
In The Pages of DC Comics

Quote:
Huh?
Kevin Micheal Richardson a black voice actor was The Joker in The Batman Cartoon which lasted 5 seasons
Old 03-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #60
Special Member

Aug 2018
Forest Hills, NY

Quote:
Huh?
Kevin Michael Richardson voiced Joker in the animated show The Batman from 2004. And the character design has been referred to (perhaps offensively, depending on your views) as "Rasta Joker" because of his hairstyle. But as Poya pointed out, not sure if that technically counts
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
batman, dcau, halloween, loeb, sale