Best PC Game Deals

Best PC Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Rogue Warrior (PC)
$8.68

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (PC)
$8.00

Dishonored (PC)
$26.43

Prey 2 (PC)
$20.16

Civilization VI (PC)
$18.23

Fallout 76 (PC)
$79.99

The Sims 3: Master Suite Stuff (PC)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming

Old 02-09-2021, 09:59 PM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Hotstock shows that Best Buy had stock on the 3080s this morning. Figures the one morning I don't check they reportedly show up. Annoying that I didn't get an email, either.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #82
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Hotstock shows that Best Buy had stock on the 3080s this morning. Figures the one morning I don't check they reportedly show up. Annoying that I didn't get an email, either.
I happened to walk into a Micro Center store when a truck pulled up. There was already a line of about 12 people waiting. I found out what was going on and got into line. All the AMD cards sold out and just the 3090 and a couple of 3070 ones were left. If I didn't accidentally show up at that moment I'd still be waiting. Just have to have some luck on your side
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
I happened to walk into a Micro Center store when a truck pulled up. There was already a line of about 12 people waiting. I found out what was going on and got into line. All the AMD cards sold out and just the 3090 and a couple of 3070 ones were left. If I didn't accidentally show up at that moment I'd still be waiting. Just have to have some luck on your side
So you grabbed a 3080 I take it? And congrats, too.

I'm not that hard up for the 3080 really, and I'm not spending much time refreshing websites. I can wait. But it just figures the one time they were supposedly in stock during the time I normally check, was the one time I didn't check.

I used to live near the Microcenter in California, but I'm now about 70 miles away. I did make the drive there when my GTX 1070 crapped out about a month ago, and I was reminded why I don't like going in there - California shopper mob lol. I did at least get my hands on a ASUS ROG STRIX 2060 Super online, which I didn't hesitate on when I was searching for ANY RTX gpu. It's more than filling the role for now as I'm getting decent FPS and good refresh. It'll go into a 2nd build for my son once I get a 3080.
Thanks given by:
RalphoR (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #84
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013

Quote:
So you grabbed a 3080 I take it? And congrats, too.

I'm not that hard up for the 3080 really, and I'm not spending much time refreshing websites. I can wait. But it just figures the one time they were supposedly in stock during the time I normally check, was the one time I didn't check.

I used to live near the Microcenter in California, but I'm now about 70 miles away. I did make the drive there when my GTX 1070 crapped out about a month ago, and I was reminded why I don't like going in there - California shopper mob lol. I did at least get my hands on a ASUS ROG STRIX 2060 Super online, which I didn't hesitate on when I was searching for ANY RTX gpu. It's more than filling the role for now as I'm getting decent FPS and good refresh. It'll go into a 2nd build for my son once I get a 3080.
I actually just missed out on the 3080 (which is what I wanted coming from a base 1080) but they sold out along with all AMD cards (I think one 6900XT or something uber high end like that was left) but I "settled" on the 3070. It's still a huge upgrade and I'm pleased. I'll wait for a 4080 next round. The 3090 is too much juice for me so I passed.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #85
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
I actually just missed out on the 3080 (which is what I wanted coming from a base 1080) but they sold out along with all AMD cards (I think one 6900XT or something uber high end like that was left) but I "settled" on the 3070. It's still a huge upgrade and I'm pleased. I'll wait for a 4080 next round. The 3090 is too much juice for me so I passed.
Duh, I re-read your post and it made more sense to me lol. I'd likely have done the same in that situation. I was originally targeting a 3070 myself, then I thought I'd go for a 3060Ti, but these ridiculous shortages - plus a little stimulus check - gave me time to re-think. I otherwise wouldn't normally spend that kind of coin on a GPU, and even the 3070 street price was pushing it for me when I first saw the pricing.
Thanks given by:
RalphoR (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #86
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2013

Quote:
Duh, I re-read your post and it made more sense to me lol. I'd likely have done the same in that situation. I was originally targeting a 3070 myself, then I thought I'd go for a 3060Ti, but these ridiculous shortages - plus a little stimulus check - gave me time to re-think. I otherwise wouldn't normally spend that kind of coin on a GPU, and even the 3070 street price was pushing it for me when I first saw the pricing.
Yeah, it's definitely a lot of coin. I only upgrade once in a while so hopefully this card is more than adequate for years and I won't need any upgrade any time soon.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (02-12-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #87
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

So the 3060 released this morning, and I thought what the heck let me see if I can get my hands on one. Of course they went fast, but then Best Buy started updating stock every few minutes on the other RTX 30 flavors. I managed to get a 3070 in my cart, selected my payment, and then on submit I get a message saying I need to verify my account. I get the verification code email maybe a minute later, and of course by then upon submit I get a message saying the item was removed from my cart as it was no longer in stock. Sigh... first time I've ever seen that (I order from BB regularly), obviously I got that verification from constant refreshing.

I wonder if I have a better chance of winning the lottery?

Last edited by red_5ive; 02-25-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #88
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

Quote:
So the 3060 released this morning, and I thought what the heck let me see if I can get my hands on one. Of course they went fast, but then Best Buy started updating stock every few minutes on the other RTX 30 flavors. I managed to get a 3070 in my cart, selected my payment, and then on submit I get a message saying I need to verify my account. I get the verification code email maybe a minute later, and of course by then upon submit I get a message saying the item was removed from my cart as it was no longer in stock. Sigh... first time I've ever seen that (I order from BB regularly), obviously I got that verification from constant refreshing.

I wonder if I have a better chance of winning the lottery?
Bummer.

Yeah, so I was thinking of doing my build on March-May, but had almost all the parts by December anyway. My buddy in Hong Kong texted me one night in December and went "I can get one 3090 right now at retail price if you're interested, but I need to know within an hour". I thought Aw, what the heck, sure and ordered it.
Kinda glad I did, since I wasn't expecting this supply issue to roll over to March with no hint of when it will stabilize.

I would be a little frustrated at this point, if I was waiting on a CPU and GPU to complete a build with parts purchased from July-December.
I sympathize.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #89
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Bummer.

Yeah, so I was thinking of doing my build on March-May, but had almost all the parts by December anyway. My buddy in Hong Kong texted me one night in December and went "I can get one 3090 right now at retail price if you're interested, but I need to know within an hour". I thought Aw, what the heck, sure and ordered it.
Kinda glad I did, since I wasn't expecting this supply issue to roll over to March with no hint of when it will stabilize.

I would be a little frustrated at this point, if I was waiting on a CPU and GPU to complete a build with parts purchased from July-December.
I sympathize.
Congrats on the 3090. That thing is a BEAST. And speaking of, one of the Asus STRIX models became available, for like a whole 5 minutes or so. I'm sure because of the $1999 price. Yes, after missing out on the 3070, you bet I added the 3090 to my cart. It was purely out of anger and frustration. And I have the funds. BUT, I didn't pull the trigger. Maybe it's a good thing it was too early to be drinking (9:30 am PT) or I'd have ordered it for sure lol.

I'm not hurting for a card. I managed to get my hands on a 2060 Super last month after my 1070 died. It's doing a great job, even with Cyberpunk 2077 at 3840 x 1080 and almost high settings + DLSS Quality/no ray tracing/crowd density medium, it's hitting the high 50's / low 60s FPS consistently. In the end, probably better the 3070 wasn't available anyway as I'm really targeting a 3080.

But as if to rub salt in the wound, I also just got this from Newegg via the "Newegg Shuffle" program:

Quote:
You Weren't Selected

We wish we had more inventory. We'll continue to request more from our partners and help get these in-demand products to our customers. Be on the lookout for future Newegg Shuffle events.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:53 PM   #90
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Quote:
I'm not hurting for a card. I managed to get my hands on a 2060 Super last month
Well good thing you weren't able to get a 3060. According to the benchmarks the 3060 doesn't perform much better than a 2060 super.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #91
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
Well good thing you weren't able to get a 3060. According to the benchmarks the 3060 doesn't perform much better than a 2060 super.
Yeah I checked the scores between those two and you're right, the 3060 is not much better. And the 2060 S scored better on some tests. But it still would have been good enough as I have a 2nd machine awaiting only a GPU that I want to get working for my son. He's been agonizing on an old(er) GTX 1050Ti laptop. I don't mind spending the sub $300 pricing thinking I can probably recoup maybe half that cost if ever things normalize and I can grab the card I really want.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #92
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Congrats on the 3090. That thing is a BEAST. And speaking of, one of the Asus STRIX models became available, for like a whole 5 minutes or so. I'm sure because of the $1999 price. Yes, after missing out on the 3070, you bet I added the 3090 to my cart. It was purely out of anger and frustration. And I have the funds. BUT, I didn't pull the trigger. Maybe it's a good thing it was too early to be drinking (9:30 am PT) or I'd have ordered it for sure lol.

I'm not hurting for a card. I managed to get my hands on a 2060 Super last month after my 1070 died. It's doing a great job, even with Cyberpunk 2077 at 3840 x 1080 and almost high settings + DLSS Quality/no ray tracing/crowd density medium, it's hitting the high 50's / low 60s FPS consistently. In the end, probably better the 3070 wasn't available anyway as I'm really targeting a 3080.

But as if to rub salt in the wound, I also just got this from Newegg via the "Newegg Shuffle" program:
Do you have a 4K monitor? If not then why are you even worried about a 3000 series card? Honestly at this point you may as well just wait for the inevitable announcements for this year and try to get a 4000 series card.

I got a 1660ti and it runs everything I need almost perfectly. I will eventually upgrade it but not until I can get a 35-40" curved 4k monitor at 140hz or better.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #93
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Do you have a 4K monitor? If not then why are you even worried about a 3000 series card? Honestly at this point you may as well just wait for the inevitable announcements for this year and try to get a 4000 series card.

I got a 1660ti and it runs everything I need almost perfectly. I will eventually upgrade it but not until I can get a 35-40" curved 4k monitor at 140hz or better.
I'm not really "worried" lol. While I do have full 4k capability, I prefer to game on my 49" super ultrawide which is 3840 x 1080/144. I haven't gamed @1920 x 1080 in maybe 4 years. Cyberpunk on high with ray tracing barely hits 35-40 frames consistently, even with DLSS enabled. Anything below 50 is a no-no with me so I disable ray tracing to get there.

But I have another reason to get a GPU, which I mentioned above I have a 2nd machine that I'd like to get up an running for my son, and sooner than later. All it needs is a GPU. If I'm gonna spend the money - which I am going to do - I might as well go with the latest series cards. But really though, I'm not regularly checking stock. I just figured yesterday I'd give it a shot, and then decided I'd whine about it here.

Honestly though, I probably wouldn't be here if my 1070 hadn't died. I was perfectly happy with that card and wasn't even considering an upgrade. Things have kind of spiraled a bit since then.

Last edited by red_5ive; 02-26-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #94
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
I'm not really "worried" lol. While I do have full 4k capability, I prefer to game on my 49" super ultrawide which is 3840 x 1080/144. I haven't gamed @1920 x 1080 in maybe 4 years. Cyberpunk on high with ray tracing barely hits 35-40 frames consistently, even with DLSS enabled. Anything below 50 is a no-no with me so I disable ray tracing to get there.

But I have another reason to get a GPU, which I mentioned above I have a 2nd machine that I'd like to get up an running for my son, and sooner than later. All it needs is a GPU. If I'm gonna spend the money - which I am going to do - I might as well go with the latest series cards. But really though, I'm not regularly checking stock. I just figured yesterday I'd give it a shot, and then decided I'd whine about it here.

Honestly though, I probably wouldn't be here if my 1070 hadn't died. I was perfectly happy with that card and wasn't even considering an upgrade. Things have kind of spiraled a bit since then.
you should be able to hit 3840x1080 on a 2060 with no issues at 100 FPS with no problems. I have not tested with Cyberpunk 2077 so it may yes require a beefier card. Which if that's the case ill worry about it with CDPR fixes the game and I buy it.

My Son will be getting into PC gaming soon so at some point he will inherit my 1660 when I upgrade cause well I can lol
Old 02-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #95
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
you should be able to hit 3840x1080 on a 2060 with no issues at 100 FPS with no problems. I have not tested with Cyberpunk 2077 so it may yes require a beefier card. Which if that's the case ill worry about it with CDPR fixes the game and I buy it.

My Son will be getting into PC gaming soon so at some point he will inherit my 1660 when I upgrade cause well I can lol
Cool, another pc convert in the works . But yep, my boys have inherited my past rigs. And what do they play on them? Minecraft lol.

Well, I can tell you 100 fps isn't happening on high settings with the 2060 S, especially not with Cyberpunk which is the most graphics intensive game I've played to date. But even with optimized games like Destiny 2 I'm getting mid-80s consistently and 90+ on the high at 3840. At least my CPU is good enough that I'm hitting 100+ Hz refresh which is nice. I can however hit 100 fps at 2560 x 1440 on my 4k display, but I much prefer the immersive-ness of 32:9 ratio even if it is a bit narrow at 1080, which btw is a higher pixel count than 2560 x 1440.

On another note, I haven't had a single crash in Cyberpunk, so IMO it's ready to play from a technical standpoint (I think I started with 1.06 patch). And I've also consistently played it on 3 different machines (my main rig and 2 gaming laptops), and no technical issues on any. The only glitches I've had so far have been around scripted mission objectives not triggering, but they have been few and far in between which reloading a prior save has been an effective workaround.

Last edited by red_5ive; 02-26-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #96
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

I can only laugh, i signed up for the evga reserve feature and it is literally moving at a snail's pace. Takes them around 3 weeks to literally move like seconds among those who placed reserves on cards. i think i placed a reserve like 3 weeks to a month after it was released meaning it will literally take years for them to get to my reserve spot at the current rate.

I guess if my 1070 dies i will be forced to get a quadro card, not sure how well it will game but i know for sure it will run better with my Revit and Autocad seats.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #97
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

So a couple of months ago I submitted a bunch of reservations for the 3060Ti, 3070, and 3080 models at a "New York retailer" , at the time thinking I'll be happy with any of them. But since then I've been leaning heavily toward a 3080. And now that my number has been drawn for a 3070, I'm hesitating on pulling the trigger (I have a few days to decide). I can't believe I'm actually thinking of passing on this due to the scarcity, even if there are increased availability projections after Q1, which I don't really trust, and also my son has been waiting for me to kick down one of my prior builds which just needs a GPU.

It's a bit ironic that I actually miss the days when I could walk into Best Buy or Fry's on a whim and decide to spend $500 on a GPU because I'm too impatient to wait for shipping on an online order lol.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #98
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Quote:
So a couple of months ago I submitted a bunch of reservations for the 3060Ti, 3070, and 3080 models at a "New York retailer" , at the time thinking I'll be happy with any of them. But since then I've been leaning heavily toward a 3080. And now that my number has been drawn for a 3070, I'm hesitating on pulling the trigger (I have a few days to decide). I can't believe I'm actually thinking of passing on this due to the scarcity, even if there are increased availability projections after Q1, which I don't really trust, and also my son has been waiting for me to kick down one of my prior builds which just needs a GPU.

It's a bit ironic that I actually miss the days when I could walk into Best Buy or Fry's on a whim and decide to spend $500 on a GPU because I'm too impatient to wait for shipping on an online order lol.
I would order the 3070 while you can. Who knows when you'll be able to get a card again.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #99
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:

Get it, you can always resell it imo.
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #100
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Get it, you can always resell it imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
I would order the 3070 while you can. Who knows when you'll be able to get a card again.
Ok you guys convinced me, I'm gonna jump on it. I also shamefully admit that reselling it didn't even occur to me should a 3080 become available. Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming