Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98
33 min ago
Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Cosby Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
$25.05
1 day ago
The Father (DVD)
$17.99

Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96
1 day ago
Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra Legends: The First Alola League Champion (DVD)
$19.96

The Little Things (DVD)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 09-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Australia Sons and Daughters: Season One

Found out about this physical media DVD release on ezyDVD a few days ago, Sons and Daughters: Season One. Just checking, but this is the Australian soap opera which ran for a few years in the 80s? I remember Peter Phelps later starring in some of the first season of Baywatch.

ezyDVD states the label releasing this "Season One" set is Madman Entertainment, with a release date of Wednesday 21st October, 2020.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #2

Oct 2011
-
-
-

Yes this is the Australian soap opera. I remember that some other titles under the Via Vision label were also listed under the Madman Entertainment label on other sites. I'm pretty sure it will be released by Via Vision as the soap opera Prisoner (Prisoner: Cell Block H), another Grundy production, was also released by them.

A good thing about Via Vision is that their soap opera titles are released in their proper seasons, which is the correct format for Australian soaps, as Aussie soaps are actually produced in seasons and don't run all year round. Like Prisoner, having all 8 seasons released by Via Vision, I can see Sons and Daughters getting a full six-season release as it seems to be almost as sought after as Prisoner is.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (09-03-2020), thecooldud (09-07-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ89 View Post
Yes this is the Australian soap opera. I remember that some other titles under the Via Vision label were also listed under the Madman Entertainment label on other sites. I'm pretty sure it will be released by Via Vision as the soap opera Prisoner (Prisoner: Cell Block H), another Grundy production, was also released by them.

A good thing about Via Vision is that their soap opera titles are released in their proper seasons, which is the correct format for Australian soaps, as Aussie soaps are actually produced in seasons and don't run all year round. Like Prisoner, having all 8 seasons released by Via Vision, I can see Sons and Daughters getting a full six-season release as it seems to be almost as sought after as Prisoner is.
Many thanks for your help, clearing up the confusion. It should be a good release if it's either Via Vision or Madman releasing the first season (I've seen Via Vision discussed a lot these past few weeks on here (mainly in the Australia sub-forum).
Old 09-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Season 2 is scheduled for 2nd December, 2020.

Considering the high disc count, I wish they had opted for SD Blu-rays instead. They could have bundled a cheap Blu-ray player together with the discs (which they wouldn't need any more than five) for the standard asking price!
Old 09-07-2020, 01:02 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
Season 2 is scheduled for 2nd December, 2020.

Considering the high disc count, I wish they had opted for SD Blu-rays instead. They could have bundled a cheap Blu-ray player together with the discs (which they wouldn't need any more than five) for the standard asking price!
What's your source for this if you don't mind me asking?

I usually use Stack and it doesn't show releases that far, and I'm dying to know if they have any more exciting boxsets planned. Blue Water High was such a surprise and filled me with joy.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:58 AM   #6

Aug 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnShadow View Post
What's your source for this if you don't mind me asking?
The Madman B2B web site is the best source, for upcoming releases from VIA Vision Entertainment:
Sons & Daughters Collection 2
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #7
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

What Kirben said.

They usually update the releases around the last day of the month or within the first few days of the new month.

Bear in mind that release dates change frequently on the B2B platform and without notice, so don't take them to be a certainty until about 1-2 months prior to their scheduled release date (when they become available for pre-order via retailers).
Old 09-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Power Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Oh wow, this is gonna be costly! Good that they're getting them out there so quick, though, hopefully won't stop halfway through. Love S&D. While Neighbours had its moments (85-91 and around 2004), as did Home and Away in the late 80s and mid 90s, S&D was always my favourite!
Old 09-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
Oh wow, this is gonna be costly! Good that they're getting them out there so quick, though, hopefully won't stop halfway through. Love S&D. While Neighbours had its moments (85-91 and around 2004), as did Home and Away in the late 80s and mid 90s, S&D was always my favourite!
With any luck JB will have another buy one get one free boxset sale for Boxing Day. The first two seasons for $150 total seems like a deal to me

I love what Via Vision is doing here, they're not afraid to put the content out there and let it sell itself. Umbrella did a terrible job handling these shows, they went about it the wrong way completely. The more content that Via Vision gets, the better in my opinion.
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (09-08-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Have checked ezyDVD and the Australian release of the first season of Sons and Daughters has been pushed back to Wednesday 18th November, 2020.

A pre-order listing has also been put up for the second season. The release date (subject to change) is Wednesday 16th December, 2020.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

If anyone is getting the first season set of Sons and Daughters, can they post pictures of the set, along with comments about the transfers please.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #12
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

This has been available from Wednesday as an edition signed by Rowena Wallace. I have a feeling, however, that Via Vision may be overselling it, because it is supposedly limited to only 50 copies. Add an extra "0" and I'd be confident they still had supply, but as it stands, not so much. It's also promoted as the top offer when you hit the Via Vision site, so everyone who has visited is seeing this:

I purchased one last night, and sent Via Vision an e-mail to confirm that I got one. I find it very difficult to believe that a limited signed edition of 50 with only an AU$20 premium could still be available when the program has never been released in its entirety on DVD before. Also, there is seemingly no limitation on the order amount for that SKU, because it looks like I can place an order for 100 copies for AU$16,995 if I want to.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

McCrutchy, I've re-read your post above, and it sounds to me like Via Vision have been selling a limited edition version of the first season set, signed by one of the castmembers (alongside the standard release of the first season).
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #14
Power Member

Jul 2017

Indeed.

Anyone know when Madman usually starts sending out pre-orders?
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #15
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
McCrutchy, I've re-read your post above, and it sounds to me like Via Vision have been selling a limited edition version of the first season set, signed by one of the castmembers (alongside the standard release of the first season).
Correct. And amazingly, it still seems to be available, a week after it was announced, despite being only a run of 50 and having only a AU$20 markup.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

There are quite a few boxsets I want to get (some of which are going to have to wait until early next year), including the Sons and Daughters first season set (although the final decision to get it depends on reviews). If I do get it, I'll probably get it from Deep Discount.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #17
Power Member

Jul 2017

My copy arrived today.
It's a thing of beauty...
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
My copy arrived today.
It's a thing of beauty...
When you can (no rush), can you post any comments/observations on the presentation of the boxset please (discs, menus, transfers of the episodes (along with the audio), and whether the episodes are uncut).
Old 11-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #19
Power Member

Jul 2017

I'm watching the first ep tonight (which I think is feature-length).
I don't see any reason why they'd be cut, though...
Old 11-17-2020, 10:20 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
I'm watching the first ep tonight (which I think is feature-length).
I don't see any reason why they'd be cut, though...
You never know though sometimes. Thought it was worth mentioning it, as occasionly episodes in TV season sets aren't uncut (eg. syndicated versions). I do want to get Via Vision's release of the first season.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies