Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (DVD)
$13.00
7 hrs ago
Land (DVD)
$17.96

Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

Death in Paradise: Season Nine (DVD)
$19.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Hallmark 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$7.50
1 day ago
Let Him Go (DVD)
$12.96

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 04-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #301
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
I have to say, you aren't very good as picking objects to to try to fit your proposed analogies.
I'm not making any claims one way or the other, but it's a FACT that such methods of discussion and debate are regularly practiced by trolls. They just keep reaching and reaching, not to bolster their contentions, but to perpetuate getting a reaction and rise out of people. Just remember that the IGNORE option is your friend.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #302

Jan 2017
New England USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1978 View Post
It does not really matter as there is tons of people into all kinds of formats for home video. I don't think it's really affecting Br or UHD sales that much. I think it's more of a case some people will stick to one format over the other.

Recently I got into Laserdisc and even picked up a solid Sharp VCR to re experience some analog video again. Obviously 4k is the way to go for ideal content watching today. Yet there is situations where I would rather them still be making vcs and ld players...mostly down to a film format preservation and history viewpoint.

20 years from now people will still be watching vhs, ld, dvd and br. It's the nature of owning physical media, plus all aspects around it over the years.

I agree with your post.
Guess you can call me an "Analog Kid" LOL (Rush song BTW)

Hubby and I have several Sony and Panasonic (and 1 Samsung dvd/vhs unit) VCR's and own many tapes of content never released to disc.

We also still use them to record some tv shows. I have many tapes of news events of natural disasters (ie earthquakes) I recorded live as they were happening years ago when the tv stations weren't all politics 24/7.

Then there are the small VHS-C and mini DV tapes from our camcorders. I transferred most of them to dvd but always keep the master tapes in a safe location. They contain truly priceless memories
Thanks given by:
Aclea (04-08-2021), R1978 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #303

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112rushfan View Post
I agree with your post.
Guess you can call me an "Analog Kid" LOL (Rush song BTW)

Hubby and I have several Sony and Panasonic (and 1 Samsung dvd/vhs unit) VCR's and own many tapes of content never released to disc.

We also still use them to record some tv shows. I have many tapes of news events of natural disasters (ie earthquakes) I recorded live as they were happening years ago when the tv stations weren't all politics 24/7.

Then there are the small VHS-C and mini DV tapes from our camcorders. I transferred most of them to dvd but always keep the master tapes in a safe location. They contain truly priceless memories
Totally and Analog to this day has a specific atmospheric look when it comes to film. We all know of course with what is all out there it may look terrible by today's standards...yet that is partly down to I think those who were born after 2000.

For those of us who experienced the 80s and 90s, we are already used to that, it was part of our day to day viewing in those eras.

So there is specific films that can be quite interesting vs modern hd, especially if you go into it with the mindset of what to expect and not to expect. There are situations where delving into vintage tech can mentally transplant you back to those era's.

It's unique because while the last year has changed what we knew, the world that used to be, even with all this...we can still go back to that place and experience it. That is something we can interact with both through audio and visual that in a way creates a physical and mental state of mind...regardless of what year it currently is.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #304

Jan 2017
New England USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1978 View Post
Totally and Analog to this day has a specific atmospheric look when it comes to film. We all know of course with what is all out there it may look terrible by today's standards...yet that is partly down to I think those who were born after 2000.

For those of us who experienced the 80s and 90s, we are already used to that, it was part of our day to day viewing in those eras.

So there is specific films that can be quite interesting vs modern hd, especially if you go into it with the mindset of what to expect and not to expect. There are situations where delving into vintage tech can mentally transplant you back to those era's.

It's unique because while the last year has changed what we knew, the world that used to be, even with all this...we can still go back to that place and experience it. That is something we can interact with both through audio and visual that in a way creates a physical and mental state of mind...regardless of what year it currently is.

Well said R1978!
I can admit I experienced 60's and 70's tv as well And tv's that had no remote controls LOL

We have an LG C6 OLED 3D tv but also a few CRT's including an an RCA from the late '50's that belonged to my parents. It still works.

Right now we are watching the old series Barnaby Jones. I bought the complete box set on sale. It was never released on blu-ray and it never will be. Sure the quality is not stellar but we are enjoying it so much.

Eight seasons of entertainment that we own and can watch at any time! What's not to love?
Thanks given by:
Aclea (04-08-2021), R1978 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:07 PM   #305
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2012

And, let's be honest, some shows won't really benefit from BD, either being shot on SD tape like Barney Miller - a show that intentionally never looked great - or only existing as Kinescopes...

Thanks given by:
2112rushfan (04-08-2021), Froggy0705 (04-08-2021), Hilliard (05-01-2021), R1978 (04-08-2021), Skylath (04-12-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #306

Jun 2020
Loveland, Colorado

The DVDs that are hard to watch these days on nice tvs are dvds that came out around early 2000 like Private Benjamin...Son In Law....alot of the touchstone ones. Dvds that are coming out now like for example those scooby doo animated films which they started on bluray for awhile but stopped and just put them on dvd and those look pretty decent overall. To me though its all about owning your film or show not based on what format they are on
Thanks given by:
Aclea (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #307

Aug 2019
Massachusetts, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
DVD is the band aid that keeps the much less popular bluray and 4K formats from bleeding to death.
Exactly!
Thanks given by:
milojthatch (05-07-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:02 AM   #308

Jun 2011
Minnesota

DVD picture quality drastically improved, because the FFMPEG encoder was exceptionally good for long time now. FFMPEG has x262 and x264. FFMPEG is really close to Bluray quality.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #309

Jul 2013

The DVD vs Blu ray will go on and on and on as did VHS vs Beta.

Beta got phased out purely because VHS got saturated on the market and yet Beta was far superior quality over VHS so go figure.

To keep both parties happy they should have stayed with the combo sets (as it hardly cost anything to produce a DVD copy so why did they discontinue it? ) and not discontinue them,The discontinue of them was brought on by Blu ray companies wanted to push that format over to the consumer and look where it got us today!!

Most consumers do not have a great set up when viewing these formats ie they have a basic tv to watch stuff on.

To watch Blu ray the companies would like (or enforce) you to upscale your set up by selling you a tv to go with your Blu ray discs so that the PQ fits.

More to follow.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #310

Jul 2013
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Blu View Post
No, I think DVD should continue.

It's not hurting anyone and I see a lot of people still buy them. The movies are still available/accessible and being bought in a physical form. That's what matters to me the most.
Agreed. Plus, the fact is there are still many vintage titles that for various reasons just will never get a Blu-ray release. If DVD goes away, the chancetting said titles basically drops to zero.

If a title is on Blu-ray, I tend to pick it up, but I have no issues collecting DVDs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies