Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74

Tom & Jerry (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45

All Creatures Great & Small: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$82.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 12-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #41
Power Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
I can only speak with experience about Broward County, FL and Bernalillo County, NM public libraries. All have hundreds and hundreds of DVDs to rent for free. All you need is a Library Card which is also free.

Best Buy still sells a $20 DVD player while Walmart sells 5 different models all under $25.
You can get a bluray player at a thrift store all day long for those prices. Money is no longer an issue related to bluray...this isn't 2009.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (03-25-2021)
Old 12-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #42
Expert Member

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

No, because DVD is an easy 'entry level' on the physical market. There are many tv series out there that would not have gotten a physical release if DVD was not an option.

As far as streaming goes... my use of it is very limited. I focus on specific original content and that is all.

For instance, CBS gets turned on when a new season of DISCO comes on, once it finishes, it gets turned right back off. I have no interest in watching content in their library (and the few library series that I do like, say Twilight Zone, Mission Impossible, the other Trek franchises... I already own on blu and dvd, so it's a moot point).

I highly doubt I will ever turn Netflix back on again, outside of wanting to rewatch the Marvel Netflix series (the ones they never released on blu) and Sabrina. Their new trend of cancelling original series after only a couple of seasons just shows me there is no reason to try and get vested in any new series since in all likelihood they won't last beyond two seasons no matter how great they are.

Disney Plus is the only service that is always on for me, since I did the charter 3 year sign up deal. Reason- all of the original content they had slated for Marvel and Star Wars. Again, its the original series, not the library that I am watching for.

And of course the other big arguments against streaming in general... 1) not everything is available on streaming and 2) just because a streaming service offers a particular movie or series, it does not mean it ALWAYS will.

Back in the day, VCRs were a godsend. Being able to rewatch something you liked was not dependent on a series lasting long enough to go into syndication or reruns. If it aired, and you taped it, it was yours to last (assuming the VCR never ate your tape).

Same with DVD. As long as nothing happens to the disc to render it unplayable (and with tech these days it's easy to back it up on a hard drive), it's yours.
Thanks given by:
Froggy0705 (12-20-2020), Purplenoon (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 12:46 AM   #43
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
How would that save money? It would mean that the studios would have higher manufacturing costs and more customers would be selling the discs they aren't using. Both of those things are bad for business.
I don't see how it'd be higher to produce just a BD or 4K set with those discs than having to produce them how they are now. The only thing that would change is that instead of buying DVD cases (or BD cases in the situation of a DVD/BD/4K set) and also producing the DVD artwork, they'd be consolidating it into one set.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:55 AM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Not that I saw. $50 to $60 for a cheap BD player.
There had been some for $30-35 on ebay a while back.
Anyway, $49 isn't a ton, it's like the cost of a couple Disney titles.
And you can also use laptop or PC for playback and can get a blu-ray drive for those for under $20.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:58 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouMan View Post
So, what does your handle even mean? What is this "VMarsMovie" you speak of?
my handle is out of date at this point, since after years and years and years they finally did make the Veronica Mars movie

but you can't change it yourself, haven't gotten around to bothering to contacting an admin to see if they will change it. I was gonna go with something utterly generic but suddenly, sadly, madly maybe something more relevant might be WBDestroyingTheatricalMoviegoing
Old 12-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplenoon View Post
but I canít tell you how often I have heard people say they canít see any difference between the two formats. Especially when viewed on small tvs without spectacular sound systems.
even on a 24" monitor the difference between the best DVDs and decent or better blu-rays is pretty huge, although the very best DVDs are not too bad, but it's still fairly dramatic
Old 12-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

If the main outlet for blu-ray players is Goodwill, or eBay or PCs, then the format is in trouble. If the OEMs don't see sales of their products in Walmart, Target or Best Buy, they will simply stop making them.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:10 AM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

DVDs are not going anywhere. If it wasn't for DVD we wouldn't have a lot of movies on home video that's not available on blu-ray and 4K UHD. Since VHS and laserdiscs movies are no longer in production, DVD remains the heart of home video. DVD in movies is like vinyl in music. If it wasn't for records there wouldn't be music.
Thanks given by:
demomanTNA (02-28-2021), Froggy0705 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 03:15 AM   #49

Aug 2009
San Francisco Bay Area

DVD should of been abandoned at least 5 years ago.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (03-25-2021), flyry (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 03:20 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
10 imo
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (03-25-2021), flyry (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 03:22 AM   #51
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Be thankful for DVD because as I've said before, if it wasn't for DVD we wouldn't have hundreds and thousands of movies that we wanted on home video, so don't bite the hand that feeds you. Where did you think Blu-ray and 4K UHD originated from? Digital Video Disc. We've bought and rented a lot of movies on DVD that we had enjoyed, and people are still buying DVDs.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-20-2020 at 03:33 AM.
Thanks given by:
Froggy0705 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 04:37 AM   #52

Apr 2014
Arizona

Uhh no they shouldnít be.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:49 AM   #53
Banned

Mar 2016

What everyone else already said. Many movies and TV shows wouldn't get home video releases at all. In my experience, DVDs still look and sound better than streams made from the same SD masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
DVD's still a pretty solid format when done right. The MPEG-2 codec is definitely outdated and inefficient though. It's a shame MPEG-4 couldn't coexist or have replaced the former. And on the same token, it would have been nice if a better audio option could have been used. PCM takes up a bit of space, but perhaps something similar to DTS-HD could have worked. MPEG-4 video with a more advanced and higher quality audio codec with 8.5gb of space on a DVD-9 would probably give a lot of leeway for pretty respectable results. It's hard to believe the format's been around for nearly 24 years.
There are DVDs with PCM, though. Such as concert films and music video anthologies.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

DVDs should definitely continue because I feel there's still a need for it especially since it's great commodity for TV shows and indie flicks.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #55
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I'm just going to post a previous comment I made in a similar thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
I think people hoping for DVD production to stop need to be careful what they wish for.

There seems to be this assumption that for things that come out on DVD and not Blu-Ray (like TV season sets of some shows for example, including some currently running shows), that if DVD is simply no longer available, the studios/distributors will, by default, have no choice to release these things on Blu-Ray and the public will just learn to adapt to it.

That's not necessarily what's likely to happen.

As it is, for some content, most TV shows being some of the content that has taken the biggest hit in this regard, the sales of any physical media release (be it DVD and/or Blu-Ray) are a fraction of what they used to be thanks to streaming and on demand options. Some of the absolute most popular shows get Blu-Ray releases and sell well enough to justify them, but they are the exception and not the rule (and are still likely not as big in sales as similar releases years ago).

I know that I've used TV shows here as my main example, but the same can be said for smaller movies and the like, some of which may only get DVD releases.

If DVD production were to stop, it would likely mean the end of any kind of physical media release of a lot of this content, leaving streaming/digital as the ONLY option. And that would suck IMO.

In a perfect world, every movie and TV show would come out on Blu-Ray, 4K Blu-Ray, etc. Honestly in some respects I kind of wish DVD (as we know it) had never existed in the first place, and that Blu-Ray had been the first main stream physical disc format (maybe coming out a couple/few years before it actually did in my hypothetical ideal scenario), therefore being the "default" physical format that most content is released on. I think that would be a more ideal "bare minimum" quality standard.

But, we don't live in a perfect world.

I personally refuse to "buy" content via digital distribution since it can be taken away at any time.

I don't mind subscribing to services like Netflix or Hulu because those are general services through which I have access to whatever content that they offer at a given time, and know that much of that content isn't necessarily always going to be available on there.

But for specific content that I want to buy and hang onto, I go with physical media. And I will opt for the highest quality option available (i.e. a 4K combo pack when the option exists), but if the only option is DVD, then I'll get the DVD.

If something that I only have on DVD ends up on a service like Hulu or Netflix, or on demand through my cable service, and at better quality than the DVD, then if I'm in the mood to watch that movie or show, I'll opt for one of those streaming/on demand options while the content is available that way. But if none of those services have it, then I'll watch the DVD.

And honestly, as long as the source material and transfer are good, watching a DVD these days isn't that bad.

I'm not quite fully in the 4K game yet, but I've been making gradual steps towards it. Ever since the 4K disc format launched, I've been buying 4K combo packs whenever the option exists. And last year, when my Blu-Ray player that I use with my main TV stopped working, I bought a 4K player (a pretty nice Panasonic model - not as nice or expensive as the newer 9000, but still higher end than the average player). I'm still using a 1080p TV for now since I spent a lot on it just a few years ago, and it's going to be a few years before I upgrade it (short of it malfunctioning sooner than that).

But something that I noticed with this player on my 1080p TV is that both regular Blu-Rays and DVDs look better when using this player than they do on my old one. My wife even noticed the difference the first time that we watched a Blu-Ray on it after we got it, and a good chunk of the time she doesn't see differences that I do, so that kind of says something.

The thing that I noticed the first time we watched a DVD (my wife works in a library, and they get DVD movies for people to check out, but don't get Blu-Rays, etc., and she brought home a movie that we hadn't seen yet) was how good it looked. No, it's not as good as a Blu-Ray, let alone 4K. But it did a pretty damn good job of upscaling it and making the picture pretty damn good considering it was a DVD. It will, of course, work best with DVDs that come from as good of sources as possible (as opposed to things that aren't properly remastered/cleaned up and are just "slapped" on to a DVD). But as long as that is the case, while my attitude on watching a DVD when it is the only option has been how I've felt pretty much ever since better formats came out, I now find the prospect of that to be better than I did before I had this player. Not that I would ever want to opt for a DVD over a Blu-Ray or 4K disc (short of there being a rare, major exception, like a Blu-Ray getting a crappy new remaster that somehow looks worse than the old DVD), but now it feels like less of a "trade off" than it previously did.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #56

Apr 2012
Manhattan, NY

I buy a WHOLE LOT on Blu these days, and yet I will still beat the "DVDs are underrated" drum any chance I get.

I watched the "Lost In America" Criterion DVD a few weeks ago and it looked great! Before that I rewatched my old "North by Northwest" DVD from 2010 and guess what... looked great! Not the blurry, out-of-focus PQ people fearmonger DVD supposedly is.

Blus are undoubtedly better than DVDs, but that doesn't mean DVDs are awful.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (12-21-2020), Jay H. (12-20-2020), meremortal (12-22-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #57
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip c. Niethe View Post
Blu-ray players also play dvd...and they look a bit better on a HD display when played through a Blu-ray player.
Not true. Blu-ray players by default do not play DVDs better. It depends on what chipsets the player uses. Many cheap blu-ray players use the cheapest chipsets for DVD playback to save on cost.
Thanks given by:
BluZone (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonan View Post
BD/4K players and drives are not as accessible or widespread to consider them viable alternatives to DVD.
This isn't the pimp my ride era no one cares. it's streamed on the tablets and phones for the kids.

DVD's should have been killed a long time ago and people forced to upgrade.

they came out in the ps1/n64 era. it's absurd. i get that they dominated 60%+ of the market but its still nuts to me.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (03-25-2021)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #59
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip c. Niethe View Post
I think the real argument of DVD vs Blu would be argued in the same vein as black and white television vs. Full color television... The new color Television that took the place of black and white can still display all films in Black and white. While Blu-ray players can still play dvd. The color television has more to offer just as Blu has over dvd.
But this argument does not pan out. When it came to color TV's the masses wanted to upgrade and eventually did. In this case, the masses have chosen DVD and see no reason to upgrade.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #60
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
This isn't the pimp my ride era no one cares. it's streamed on the tablets and phones for the kids.

DVD's should have been killed a long time ago and people forced to upgrade.

they came out in the ps1/n64 era. it's absurd. i get that they dominated 60%+ of the market but its still nuts to me.
DVD still dominates the market. Studio's know where the revenue stream is and it would have been stupid to kill off DVD in the past and stupid to kill it off now, unless they are ready to kill off physical media all together. There is money to still be made via streaming, DVD, blu-ray, and UHD, why should they kill off one of the top revenue makers of those four? That would be absurd.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (12-21-2020), Cremildo (12-20-2020), Jay H. (12-20-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies