Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 hr ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
4 hrs ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
4 hrs ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra Legends: The First Alola League Champion (DVD)
$19.96

Hell on Wheels: The Complete Series (DVD)
$36.92
1 day ago
The Father (DVD)
$17.99

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (DVD)
$11.99
1 day ago
The Undoing (DVD)
$14.71
31 min ago
The Virtuoso (DVD)
$12.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default The Invaders (Roy Thinnes-starring TV series)

Haven't selected a flag icon for this thread, as there have been physical media DVD releases of the two season TV series The Invaders in more than one country.

Planning on starting a rewatch of this sci-fi/thriller drama series soon. I know opinions are sort of divided on the latter part of the second (and final) season, but it's still one of my favourite TV series.

Decided to get the Quinn Martin: Volume 3, CD score album last year, about The Invaders (released by La La Land Records). Need to get a replacement two-disc CD case for it, as there is a crack on the front of the case.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (02-25-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
Expert Member

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

I got this last year, only watched the first season so far.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
Special Member

Mar 2011

I liked the Gene Hackman episode...
Old 01-11-2021, 10:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Pilot episode "Beachhead"

Watched his past weekend, the extended version of the series' pilot episode "Beachhead". There was around ten minutes of extra footage, but it didn't drag too much. I quite enjoyed this rewatch, and noticed details in it which I didn't spot when I first watched The Invaders (both when BBC Two repeated it a long time ago, and from first watching my copy of the American DVD release of the first season).

I think the different ending (which Roy Thinnes refers to in his introduction) was the different end credits.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 01-18-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (02-25-2021), cutback73 (04-05-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Am currently on the second disc in the first season DVD set. In the past week, have watched up to the episode "Genesis". Next up is an episode which Jack Lord guest stars in (it originally aired in the States the year before Hawaii Five-O started).

As a whole, I've enjoyed the episodes following "Beachhead". I wouldn't say I agree with the negative IMDb user review of "Genesis", but I wouldn't say it was awful either. One of it's highlights was the debut appearance of the device the Invaders use to hypnotise humans.

Love the show's music score with that ominous theme (the title sequence is a classic).
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (02-25-2021), cutback73 (04-05-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Recently started watching The Invaders for the first time on the DVD set(s). I'm currently on the first season, and have finished the third DVD.

Excellent show! The storyline is great; Architect David Vincent notices a UFO late one night in a deserted field, and realizes that the Earth is being invaded. He then tries to warn people about this, but very few believe him. Vincent has a new adventure each week as he travels across the U.S. & seeks to blow the lid off the alien invasion. His goal is to expose them for beings who are trying to take over the Earth & stop them for good.

I liked how the aliens who masquerade/disguise themselves as humans are only distinguishable when looking at their hands/fingers - a difference that is difficult to pinpoint/detect. When the aliens die, a red "flash" appears & the aliens disappear/disintegrate, though they sometimes leave ash behind (but not always).

The special effects are minimal - but, this is completely understandable given the era when this was released. The show's writing, acting/casting, and fantastic musical score are all top-notch. The series is sometimes described as a cross between the iconic sci-fi film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and The Fugitive TV series. However, though there are elements of both of these - I find The Invaders singularly unique & gripping.

Really impressed by the PQ in this DVD set - overall, it's excellent. It's on par with the Hawaii Five O & The Streets of San Francisco DVD sets. I.e., very crisp & clear remastered picture (for the most part), with good color, etc.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 02-25-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-05-2021), OceanBlue (02-25-2021), Professor Echo (03-31-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:44 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

One of the best S01 episodes (so far) is The Ivy Curtain. It features Jack Warden as gruff pilot Barney Cahill. The pilot is offered a lot of money by the aliens in order to transport new-comers to a New Mexico college which is a "front". It is actually a place that is indoctrinating the aliens on how to infiltrate human society, etc. David Vincent tries to convince Cahill that his actions are furthering the spread of the alien invasion, but Vincent's pleas initially fall on deaf ears - due to Cahill seemingly only being interested in how much $ he's making from the operation.

[Show spoiler]Finally, Vincent gets through to Cahill...and, as the pilot is transporting the aliens to the school - he suddenly intentionally crashes the plane into the main college building, resulting in the death of everyone aboard - and also presumably some of the top aliens on the ground. Very dark episode, with a shocking ending.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-05-2021), OceanBlue (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
Expert Member

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

I started watching season 2 a few days ago... just finished "The Believers".

Im looking forward to seeing how the season/series ends, but Im not getting my hopes up for a conclusion to the storyline since it only was 2 seasons. Im assuming it was one of the many series that sadly gets cancelled without a chance to wrap everything up.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-05-2021), OceanBlue (02-25-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

The majority of the first season episodes I've watched recently have been very good, with two of them being highlights of the season so far ("Quantity Unknown" and "The Innocent").

"Vikor" had Jack Lord among the guest stars. This episode I think was filmed just under two years before the original Hawaii Five-O started. The ending was particularly good with
[Show spoiler]how Vincent stopped the aliens' latest plan.

"Nightmare" was about locusts. Loved the cinematography in this episode (had a small town in America look to it).

"Quantity Unknown" was the first of two consecutive episodes with Sutton Roley directing. Always enjoyed the episodes of Mannix he directed (you can tell it's an episode directed by him because of the use of camera angles and close-ups). I can understand the one goof in this episode
[Show spoiler](when the alien grabs the metal cylinder through the fence, after being injured from the fall over the waterfall after the fight with Vincent. The fence should have disappeared as well).
But that aside, I loved the story and it's details in it.

The next episode "The Innocent" started off very well, but then I thought it was going to be a dull, not very interesting story. However...things really improved after that. Brilliant story. Veteran actor Michael Rennie was among the guest stars.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (03-06-2021), cutback73 (04-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #10

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Angel View Post
I started watching season 2 a few days ago... just finished "The Believers".

Im looking forward to seeing how the season/series ends, but Im not getting my hopes up for a conclusion to the storyline since it only was 2 seasons. Im assuming it was one of the many series that sadly gets cancelled without a chance to wrap everything up.
There's a decent enough resolution to season 2 that lets things end on a satisfying note.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Recently finished S01. Again, incredible series.

One of the many stand-out episodes was "Panic". This revolved around a young alien who was on the run from the rest of the invaders. He had some kind of condition that caused any human he touched to freeze to death. He presented himself as a victim to David Vincent, but was a criminal on the run from his own people.

This episode was especially interesting to me, because it presented an alien that was marginalized even amongst the larger group of invaders - and was imore dangerous than any of them.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 03-06-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-27-2021), OceanBlue (03-09-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 02:18 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

The 2nd to last episode is a pretty good finale.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #13

Jul 2017
central New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Love the show's music score with that ominous theme (the title sequence is a classic).
Dominic Frontiere originally wrote that music for the titles of one of the OUTER LIMITS pilots years earlier. When I got a bootleg VHS of the OUTER LIMITS pilots 35 years ago I was stunned to hear that familiar music again at the beginning of a pilot I'd never seen before.

I was ten and a half when I saw the first episode when it aired in January 1967 and loved it. My parents decided to buy a color TV two years earlier so being able to watch this series in color was fantastic. Along with all the other series that switched over to color at the time like MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., WILD WILD WEST and THE AVENGERS. Even though our Mom didn't work and we would be considered middle-class at best, my Dad really wanted that color TV. I now consider it a little strange because all of my friends and all of our relatives still had black & white TVs at that time.

What I loved was that the show was serious and not a comedy like MY FAVORITE MARTIAN. For my older brother and I back then, the big excitement was how long did we have to wait to finally see what the inside of the saucer looked like. And since I was into building model kits at that time, of course I had to buy and build the "UFO from THE INVADERS" model kit that Aurora released the following year. Back then I didn't know who these guest stars like Gene Hackman were so being able to watch the series again on good quality DVDs is a real treat.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-05-2021), OceanBlue (03-09-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #14
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Yarm, Yorkshire

Blimey, I saw this in the list of recent threads and thought there was possibly news of a Blu-ray release. Would love that but it appears sadly not.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #15

Dec 2013
Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusthenopteron View Post
Blimey, I saw this in the list of recent threads and thought there was possibly news of a Blu-ray release. Would love that but it appears sadly not.
Unfortunately not, the series hasn't been transferred into HD yet. Hopefully someday, as I love the series also and would to see it get just a budget bare bones release like the recent Mission: Impossible TV complete series set.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #16
Expert Member

Dec 2015
London
Send a message via Skype™ to Verisimilitude1984

I remember watching this on TV as a young child, re-runs and such in the UK. This TV series left a huge impression on me. I think it was the story set up, that great opening and narration, the sense of paranoia and danger as he was being hunted. Reminds me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers but also The Fugitive plus aliens really. I have this on DVD and watched it many years later. I think Roy Thinnes did a great job and played the role in a really unique way. I didn't realise at the time, but it was great seeing him again in The X-Files.

I still haven't seen series 2 of The Invaders, though I read the plot summaries. I can't believe how it all ended!
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-05-2021), OceanBlue (03-09-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #17
Expert Member

Dec 2015
London
Send a message via Skype™ to Verisimilitude1984

I'd be interested to know what everyone's favourite episodes are, if not their favourite of all time...?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude1984 View Post
I'd be interested to know what everyone's favourite episodes are, if not their favourite of all time...?
From re-watching the series, my favourite episodes so far in the first season:

- the pilot "Beachhead"
- "Nightmare"
- "Quantity Unknown"
- "The Innocent".
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (04-27-2021), Professor Echo (03-31-2021), Verisimilitude1984 (03-10-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 11:46 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
One of the best S01 episodes (so far) is The Ivy Curtain. It features Jack Warden as gruff pilot Barney Cahill. The pilot is offered a lot of money by the aliens in order to transport new-comers to a New Mexico college which is a "front". It is actually a place that is indoctrinating the aliens on how to infiltrate human society, etc. David Vincent tries to convince Cahill that his actions are furthering the spread of the alien invasion, but Vincent's pleas initially fall on deaf ears - due to Cahill seemingly only being interested in how much $ he's making from the operation.

[Show spoiler]Finally, Vincent gets through to Cahill...and, as the pilot is transporting the aliens to the school - he suddenly intentionally crashes the plane into the main college building, resulting in the death of everyone aboard - and also presumably some of the top aliens on the ground. Very dark episode, with a shocking ending.
Watched "The Ivy Curtain" last night. Very good episode I thought. The ending was one of the best things about it. I didn't like it as much as the previous two episodes, but it was still one of the best episodes so far in the first season.

Was the series shot in California? There were some on location shots which looked like they were shot at the same location as in the earlier episode "Nightmare" (roads out in the countryside with fields alongside them).

"The Ivy Curtain" had a very interesting story about the aliens' plans for Earth again. It seems like the series at this point stepped up a notch with the details in the storylines.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 03-23-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #20

Oct 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Am currently on the second disc in the first season DVD set. In the past week, have watched up to the episode "Genesis". Next up is an episode which Jack Lord guest stars in (it originally aired in the States the year before Hawaii Five-O started).

As a whole, I've enjoyed the episodes following "Beachhead". I wouldn't say I agree with the negative IMDb user review of "Genesis", but I wouldn't say it was awful either. One of it's highlights was the debut appearance of the device the Invaders use to hypnotise humans.

There are some outstanding episodes in the first season. I have always loved the Vikor episode and the concept of Jack Lord's character selling out his own race because of how he has been treated is thought provoking.

The episode with Jack Warden referred to elsewhere on this page is also an excellent episode, with a fine ending which feels appropriate to the main characters, and it has well written roles for both Jack and the lovely hugely underrated Susan Oliver.

I also like the Suzanne Pleshette episode in Season 1.

Episodes do sometimes contradict each other across the series and the lack of physical evidence left for David Vincent each week at the end of an episode can be a bit far fetched in the first series (which is why the ending to the Jack Warden is so satisfying as it deals with that so well, in my opinion).

The Invaders is at it's best though, when it is Vincent on his own (or with max +1 or 2 others) versus the aliens. Which is why, while still enjoyable, season 2 lacks the tension of season 1.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (04-05-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies