Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74

Tom & Jerry (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 02-09-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia
Default The Simpsons - Season 4 Audio Commentary Censorship?

I have a question for owners of the Region 1 release of The Simpsons: The Complete Fourth Season on DVD.

The audio commentary for the episode Marge In Chains (on disc 4) contains a use of the f-word that is indicated in the subtitles, but it has been muted in the Australian release (and presumably the Region 2 release as well), presumably to secure PG ratings in both markets, unlike the U.S., which has no such requirement for home video releases to receive any form of classification.

When Marge asks "Who's watching the Kwik-E-Mart" I recall one of the commentators remarking that Julie Kavner, upon reading the line, said "Who the f--- cares?" in response to it.

I want to know whether this line is muted in the U.S. release as well or whether the commentary track is uncensored. Many thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

I asked my brother to check. We always bought the NTSC originals to avoid standards conversion quality loss.

The “uck” is there but said under his breath. Are you saying it’s muted entirely on the international version?
Thanks given by:
SillyG (02-12-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018

That line isn't in marge in chains?

https://frinkiac.com/episode/S04E21/481013
Old 02-12-2021, 01:55 AM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The “uck” is there but said under his breath. Are you saying it’s muted entirely on the international version?
Thanks very much for confirming. I do apologise though, as I should have checked it again myself. I couldn't hear it at all when I watched it all of those years ago via a TV (and I rewound it to check), and I assumed that it had been muted as it was reflected in the subtitles, but I couldn't actually hear it.

But yes, Al Jean definitely says it under his breath after checking it again (with the benefit of earphones).

This surprises me as I assumed that ours would have been identical to the UK disc (both being PAL encoded and all), and the use of the word, while not completely unprecedented, would almost always necessitate a bump in classification, though I guess Jean saying the word under his breath (and there not being any other instances of the word) would have been considered a mitigating factor, at least as far as the Australian board were concerned.

The BBFC specifically cites a PG classification for the commentary track itself, which leads me to suspect that the UK version has been pre-cut by the distributor to avoid a 12 rating as they tend to be far stricter in respect to coarse language.

There was also a precedent for UK censorship as Fox previously censored the commentary track for Simpson and Delilah, which originally received a 12 rating, but they cut out a remark about semen that brought it (and the rest of the set) down to a PG rating.

Funnily enough, the BBFC slapped Season 17 with a 15 rating for a single playful use of "mother----er" in the commentary track for My Fair Laddy, but they ultimately decided to keep the set uncut.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies