Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Land (DVD)
$17.96
1 hr ago
The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96
4 hrs ago
The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96
4 hrs ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Pokémon Sun & Moon Ultra Legends: The First Alola League Champion (DVD)
$19.96

The Father (DVD)
$17.99

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - The Complete First Series (DVD)
$44.99

The Cosby Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
$25.56
13 hrs ago
Hell on Wheels: The Complete Series (DVD)
$36.92
1 day ago
Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (DVD)
$11.99
1 day ago
The Virtuoso (DVD)
$12.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 02-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2020
Default Just got the Queen Greatest Video Hits collection, but it's in widescreen.

Should I open it? Is it a crop job or did they actually open up the sides of the music videos. Amazon said it was 4:3.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2020

Some of these videos are shown in widescreen on the "Queen Official" YouTube channel. I've never watched their music videos. I guess most of them were originally in widescreen, unless the YouTube versions are wrong too.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Gun View Post
Some of these videos are shown in widescreen on the "Queen Official" YouTube channel. I've never watched their music videos. I guess most of them were originally in widescreen, unless the YouTube versions are wrong too.
Sadly, it doesn't look like there are any releases featuring the music videos in their (possible) original full screen formats.

If you want to do an aspect ratio comparison, find other Youtube uploads of the videos by other people and compare them to the ones uploaded by the official page. It will give you an idea of what the original aspect ratio(s) are.
Thanks given by:
Warm Gun (02-22-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Sadly, it doesn't look like there are any releases featuring the music videos in their (possible) original full screen formats.

If you want to do an aspect ratio comparison, find other Youtube uploads of the videos by other people and compare them to the ones uploaded by the official page. It will give you an idea of what the original aspect ratio(s) are.
That's theoretically a good idea, but some if not, a lot now stretch 4:3 AR videos to 16:9 AR on YouTube.

I'm not a fan of the Queen so I can't help although if I were, I'd just do the same research as I do for the rest when I want to watch something in its proper AR or alternative.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2009

Does anyone remember a vhs called Queen's Greatest Flix?
Old 02-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #6

Dec 2012
Brasil

Yes. Is was cropped.

The original 4:3 videos was only release in a unofficial DVD that was sell for a DVD Magazine in Brasil about 2001/2002. That was basicaly a pirate copy from the Greatest Flix 1 and 2 from the official VHS/Laserdisc release.

The Greatest Video Hits 2 have some videos from the 80's that was not in the Greatest Fix 2 like Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love), Calling All Girls, Back Chat, Body Language and a live version of Staying Power from the Hot Space album, Princes Of The Universe and Scandal from from the A Kind of Magic and The Miracle albums.

But doesn't have it the videos from the Innuendo album that was on Greatest Flix 2 with they excluded the Days of our Lives video.

The only good thing about the two Greatest Video Hits are the remixed 5.1 surround.

I hope some day they release a blu-ray with the remastered videos from the original film elements that was in the Days Of Our Lives documentary like they did with the Freddie Mercury solo videos that was released in blu-ray with amazing picture quality.

But this is unlikely since the two musicians who run the band today, mainly Brian, are more concerned with the partnership with Adam Lambert.

Sorry for my english.
Thanks given by:
Warm Gun (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I recall CD Singles included music videos, wouldn't that be of use?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
Expert Member

Dec 2020

Thanks, Tano.

For 14 dollars for 34 videos, I can't really be too upset. But it's still disappointing. The Greatest Flix volumes seem to be impossible to find digitally. (Might as well try to download them if I'm gonna pay bootleggers for movies long out of print.) I'll just stick with these cropped DVDs. I'm about halfway through, but still haven't listened to any of the 5.1 DTS mixes.

The ordering seems dumb. Bohemian Rhapsody first just because it's one of the most beloved. Another One Bites the Dust second even though it came out much later than most of the videos in volume 1. So I separated them by chapter and re-ordered them by release date.

The Invisible Man and the alternate version of Who Wants to Live Forever are the only ones in 4:3.

Last edited by Warm Gun; 02-24-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2020

Still haven't finished watching them. Radio Ga Ga is also in 4:3.

Hammer to Fall is a weird one. The people all look long. Did they... stretch a cinemascope video? That's hilarious. Anything to fill the screen, I guess. But I prefer this, since I can at least fix stretching by setting a new aspect ratio in MKVToolnix without re-encoding and losing quality.

I can't tell if I should be using a slightly taller aspect ratio than 2.35:1, but they look much more normal than before.

Last edited by Warm Gun; 03-01-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #10
Expert Member

Dec 2020

Nice, A Kind of Magic is also stretched and therefore fixable. Having more luck with the second disc than with the entirely cropped first.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies