Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
2 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
2 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The BRD Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.99
8 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 04-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

Jan 2018
England
Default Has a Neighbour Ever Complained About Your Noise?

Whether that be for music, the TV being too loud or anything else, has a neighbour ever knocked on your door and politely asked you to turn it down a bit? If so how did you respond, or how would you respond if that happened to you?
Old 04-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

I wish that they knocked on my door in the condo. I would have apologized. I was freaking out and swearing a lot (I guess too loud though the neighbor below me would have heard a muffled sound. The neighbors on my floor said they heard nothing) because of a major screw up doing my job (and just the added stress of being stuck at home during this pandemic doesn't help). Does she knock on my door? I thought so but instead I open the door to find two police officers.

The police officers were very friendly when I explained what happened. The neighbor had disguised it as "looking out for my well being" even though I know that wasn't the case as she's one of those neighbors that complain about the slightest noise. Suffice to say, I did not go apologize to her nor do I bring her mail to her if it's in the lobby like I'll do with others.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #3

Dec 2010
North Palm Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Whether that be for music, the TV being too loud or anything else, has a neighbour ever knocked on your door and politely asked you to turn it down a bit? If so how did you respond, or how would you respond if that happened to you?
My neighbor to my north (where my shared wall houses my HT, has said to others he occasionally hears the thunderous sound of the subs in my system), otherwise he is cool with it. I never play the sound loud after 10, and if he did complain, then yes, I would try to work out an arrangement with him..

After all, we don't want things to ever escalate to where the Landlord has to take action. Peace to exist
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

I used to worry about this a lot when I lived in an apt. The funny thing is, I lived in the city/suburb that was voted "safest in the state" and it pretty much was. Most of the community was upper middle and upper class folks with families. But the apt I was in constantly had police calls and especially on weekends you could hear them talking with people in the hallways or in the parking lot. It was very regular. Yet when you look online of the crime stats, the entire city looks virtually crime-free. And these were mostly people closer to 30 or beyond. We had very few people of college age. I just lived in one of the very few bad spots.

Last edited by meremortal; 04-04-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (04-08-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
This hasn't happened but, really, the only way to respond is to apologize and figure out what's fair for everybody involved. If you decide to be argumentative, you're just asking for trouble. As long as the person is being reasonable, you should be reasonable as well.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

No, but I would love to complain to my neighbor(s) about their f'n noise...
Old 04-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
This hasn't happened but, really, the only way to respond is to apologize and figure out what's fair for everybody involved. If you decide to be argumentative, you're just asking for trouble. As long as the person is being reasonable, you should be reasonable as well.
This.

I received a knock on my door one morning - apparently the TV volume was set too high to my neighbor's liking that day. It was totally my fault so I apologized and bought myself a good pair of headphones and that's how I watch TV late at night or into the early morning hours. No reason to get argumentative or be a jerk. I don't always use the headphones but now I don't turn the volume up too high. When available, I use subtitles. There are pitfalls to apartment living but if you're a reasonable person, you'll enjoy amicable relationships with the people next door - whom you might need someday. The neighbor hasn't knocked again since
Old 04-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

Never directly, but when there's a complaint of any kind at my apartment complex, the landlords will stick a sheet of paper of every door reminding people to obey the rules about excess noise, not throwing inappropriate things in the recycle bin, not leaving shit innthe hallways, etc.

I have complained myself about excessive noise. One night I had to get up super-early the next day, and my upstairs neighbors starting playing loud music at like 2:00 AM. I had to go up there and Cop Knock on the door to complain about them turning the music off so I could get some sleep. Thankfully this doesn't happen much anymore, but it sucks when I'm trying to watch a movie in the middle of the day, and all I can hear is some kid crying and screaming across the hallway through my neighbor's OPEN DOORWAY.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
I used to worry about this a lot when I lived in an apt. The funny thing is, I lived in the city/suburb that was voted "safest in the state" and it pretty much was. Most of the community was upper middle and upper class folks with families. But the apt I was in constantly had police calls and especially on weekends you could hear them talking with people in the hallways or in the parking lot. It was very regular. Yet when you look online of the crime stats, the entire city looks virtually crime-free. And these were mostly people closer to 30 or beyond. We had very few people of college age. I just lived in one of the very few bad spots.
That story reminds me of me. One night I saw a group of cops in the backyard at night looking for God knows what, and it never made it to the news. Quite unsettling to see something like that (this was around 4-5 years ago).
Old 04-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

Never.

Not even recently with Godzilla Vs Kong.

They are pretty far away though.

Back in the day, I lived in Los Altos California and the downstairs neighbor would leave a note on the door anytime we wore shoes inside the apartment.

Last edited by bhampton; 04-08-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #11

Apr 2021
United Kingdom

This has never happened to be, but i always try be as respectful as possible.

Everyone has already said it, but i would apologise. After all i wouldn't want to cause anyone any distress from noise ever - especially if they're in their home.

That being said, i do know of some people who are EXTREMELY sensitive to neighbour noise and get upset with the slightest bang and take this way out of proportion. These people have another issue of their own imo, but try stay as respectful as possible still and don't ever come down to their level when/if they start raising their voice.

I have been a downstairs neighbour before and can testify that heavy bass and tremble can be a real nightmare when you're on the other side of someone else's wall! Most of the time the other party doesn't know they're being noisy and will be shocked and embarrassed!
Thanks given by:
beefytwinkie (04-09-2021), bhampton (04-09-2021), Hatter (04-10-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

back in the 90s, when i lived in a town home. we were outside, just hanging out in the parking area. neighbor came out and asked us to keep it down. granted, it was pretty late (close to midnight or maybe even a little after) and we WERE being a bit loud. so we just decided to head to the local 24-hour place and hang out.

that was when i could stay up all night and hardly feel it the next day.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat