Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$15.72

Terminator Genisys (Blu-ray)
$10.49
1 day ago
Star Trek: Lower Decks Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Blu-ray)
$23.30

Train to Busan (Blu-ray)
$15.99

12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Coming to America 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Shutter Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.05
1 day ago
Shooter (Blu-ray)
$10.99
1 day ago
Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.96

Rawhead Rex (Blu-ray)
$24.35

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries

Old 04-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #1

Jan 2015
Default Best Buy the worst for purchasing STEELBOOKS.

How many times do you go to a Best Buy store on steelbook release day only to find most of their inventory on the shelves are damaged? How many times do you have Best Buy ship STEELBOOKS to your homes only to get 80% of the time damaged steelbooks. Itís awful. The prices they are asking are getting higher and the corporationís donít care if they are damaged.! Well if your tired of it then fight back! STOP buying from Best Buy, target, Walmart . If you do receive a damaged one then send it back via their pre paid envelope or return labels. Donít go to the store . Because the employees DO NOT CARE! Iíve written to corporate at least 3-4 times . I still till this day have not received a response ! Something has to be done about it. I know for me I stopped buying the 34.99 and above steelbooks. Unless I go to a store and you physically inspect them myself. Best Buy pushes on their website now education on collecting STEELBOOKS. Blah blah blah. Donít mean anything if your manufacturers are sending them to you damaged and your employees toss them around like trash. If you want an undamaged steelbook most of the time there are reputable sellers on ebay. Just ask around and you will find some. You may pay a little extra but they protect them the way you want to receive them. Ok Iím done ! Thanks
Thanks given by:
Enzo954 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
Power Member

Oct 2018
somewhere

It definitely is frustrating and one of the main reasons I stopped collecting steelbooks.
Thanks given by:
carnival (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Los Angeles, USA

I find that time heals most wounds. Of all the steelbooks I ever bought that turned out to be in less than perfect condition and would bother the hell out of me, only about 5% continue to bother me when I look at them now. Of course, the ones that were badly damaged I returned for exchanges or refunds. But a significant percentage of my many steelbooks have some flaw that I have learned to be at peace with.
Thanks given by:
aviosis (04-11-2021), BluPat (04-11-2021), bonehica (04-12-2021), carnival (04-11-2021), gkolb (04-13-2021), hagios (04-10-2021), heavyharmonies (04-11-2021), InBruges (04-10-2021), NVllyRnnr (04-11-2021), pacificoduck (04-10-2021), reya (04-12-2021), sleeperbloke (04-12-2021), videopat (04-10-2021), wjasoncul (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #4

Jun 2012
So Cal

Tell me about it. It's more like 99% of the time for me when Worst Buy ships to my home. That's why I avoid ship-to-home now, only as a last resort. I have to pre-order multiple copies of the same steelbook for ISPU in order to increase my chances of getting a mint copy. Then I end up with too many copies like I did with WW84 last week. 6 out of 8 copies I picked up of that one were mint which was probably the best ratio I've seen in my history of collecting with BB. I usually just end up returning the extra ones if the damage is too noticeable.

I emailed corporate too myself after that whole LOTR/Hobbit 4K Trilogy disaster when they shipped them in bubble mailers. I wrote a lengthy and detailed complaint expressing my outrage over their awful shipping practices and I got a response from them. They said they would "share my feedback with the higher departments to make changes and avoid the same issues in the future" and it seemed like they got the message because I received steelbooks in boxes instead of those crappy cardboard mailers. But it only lasted for a short while because they went right back to their old ways. So it's a waste of time to try to complain to Worst Buy because they really do not care. I've received steelbooks like the Sicario 2 one that looked like a truck ran over it, it was practically bent in half.

I always take care of steelbooks when I sell on ebay, I bubblewrap them and ship in boxes with padding. I always take care of my customers and try to please them the best I can because they hopefully appreciate it even though I don't always receive feedback from all of them. When I order from a seller on ebay, I would want them to take the same care that I do.
Thanks given by:
carnival (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #5

Aug 2019
Washington, D.C.

Every time I’ve received a damaged steelbook either via mail delivery or IS/curbside pickup I simply return it and get a replacement. Best Buy has been really good about that and the people who work there are always friendly to me. They’ve never questioned or refused a replacement/return request. I recall once having a good laugh with the guy at the service desk after the spine fell off a new steelbook when I removed the factory seal. So maybe it’s a slight hassle going to get the replacement but there are bigger problems in my life so personally I don’t mind swapping out a badly damaged steelbook.

FWIW, I’m happy to keep steelbooks with minor damage/dents, many of which I can minimize or fix with some minor repair work if I’m so inclined.
Thanks given by:
carnival (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jun 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCramp View Post
Every time Iíve received a damaged steelbook either via mail delivery or IS/curbside pickup I simply return it and get a replacement. Best Buy has been really good about that and the people who work there are always friendly to me. Theyíve never questioned or refused a replacement/return request. I recall once having a good laugh with the guy at the service desk after the spine fell off a new steelbook when I removed the factory seal. So maybe itís a slight hassle going to get the replacement but there are bigger problems in my life so personally I donít mind swapping out a badly damaged steelbook.

FWIW, Iím happy to keep steelbooks with minor damage/dents, many of which I can minimize or fix with some minor repair work if Iím so inclined.
^this, they've even offered to let me open the steelbook in store to verify damage before leaving. also about 75% of my steelbooks come from bestbuy and 25% from zavvi and people have all sorts of problems with zavvi as well, if i stopped buying from both because of their mistakes/problems it's essentially asking me to stop collecting steelbooks.

at that point its if you can't handle the heat get outta the kitchen.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #7

Dec 2007

The worst ones are the ones that are damaged underneath the j-cards or the ones you can't see until you open it.

My set of Bond 4k steelbooks were all damaged (dents/scratches) and there was no way to see the damage until you opened the SB. Trying to get an exchange at my local store was a major hassle. These are the types of exchanges that risk banning, so weighing cost > benefit of getting that perfect steelbook is necessary
Thanks given by:
ITDEFX101 (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post
The worst ones are the ones that are damaged underneath the j-cards or the ones you can't see until you open it.

My set of Bond 4k steelbooks were all damaged (dents/scratches) and there was no way to see the damage until you opened the SB. Trying to get an exchange at my local store was a major hassle. These are the types of exchanges that risk banning, so weighing cost > benefit of getting that perfect steelbook is necessary
"Life is like a steelbook j-card, you never know what you're gonna get" ;-)
Thanks given by:
heavyharmonies (04-11-2021), SpazeBlue (04-11-2021), TwoTimesPrime (04-12-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #9

Aug 2008

I typically don't have any issues with Best Buy. Zavvi is a different story.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I usually didn't have problems with Best Buy til the recent release of 'Gattaca' - thankfully I opened it up in my car to see the plastic holder inside had cracked, ugh ... really? returned it, and had to go to another store to rebuy it and undamaged.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #11
Special Member

Nov 2018

out of the well over 100 steels ive ordered through BB whether it be shipping or ISPU ive only received 2 steels that had bad enough damage that i exchanged. those happened 2 weeks from each other & it was smooth no hassle exchanges. other than that its mostly good copies. the other ones that had something were tiny & insignificant.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
How many times do you go to a Best Buy store on steelbook release day only to find most of their inventory on the shelves are damaged? How many times do you have Best Buy ship STEELBOOKS to your homes only to get 80% of the time damaged steelbooks. It’s awful. The prices they are asking are getting higher and the corporation’s don’t care if they are damaged.! Well if your tired of it then fight back! STOP buying from Best Buy, target, Walmart . If you do receive a damaged one then send it back via their pre paid envelope or return labels. Don’t go to the store . Because the employees DO NOT CARE! I’ve written to corporate at least 3-4 times . I still till this day have not received a response ! Something has to be done about it. I know for me I stopped buying the 34.99 and above steelbooks. Unless I go to a store and you physically inspect them myself. Best Buy pushes on their website now education on collecting STEELBOOKS. Blah blah blah. Don’t mean anything if your manufacturers are sending them to you damaged and your employees toss them around like trash. If you want an undamaged steelbook most of the time there are reputable sellers on ebay. Just ask around and you will find some. You may pay a little extra but they protect them the way you want to receive them. Ok I’m done ! Thanks
Dude if you buy a steenbok online and it arrives damaged, you really have no right to complain. The word has been out for a long time now. You buy a steenbok online and there’s about a 50-60% chance that it gets damaged.

If you choose to order one anyway and it comes all busted up, you can be frustrated, but you knew full well what the risk was and you did it anyway.

Sorry...but that’s real talk.
Thanks given by:
carnival (04-11-2021), Skylath (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:17 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Dude if you buy a steenbok online and it arrives damaged, you really have no right to complain. The word has been out for a long time now. You buy a steenbok online and thereís about a 50-60% chance that it gets damaged.

If you choose to order one anyway and it comes all busted up, you can be frustrated, but you knew full well what the risk was and you did it anyway.

Sorry...but thatís real talk.
When they're not offering items IN STORE and they're EXCLUSIVES, yes a person has a right to complain.
Thanks given by:
A Tortured Duckling (04-10-2021), carnival (04-11-2021), djgcue (04-10-2021), EricDra7en (04-12-2021), hasslein (04-11-2021), traths (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 11:28 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Sorry...but that’s real talk.
Sorry, but that's silly talk. It isn't always black and white, and many steelbooks can't even be purchased in-store, no matter how much a person wants to. As consumers we're all at the mercy of all these other companies and how they treat the product we buy. They're well aware that there is a collectors market for these steelbooks but they simply don't give a shit about those who collect them. All of this bullshit could be avoided if said companies would pack things up properly for shipping, and store them in a way that would at least lower the chances of them getting damaged, if not eliminate it entirely. Let's also not forget about spine slashes, which are 100% caused by sheer negligence and, again, shitty packaging. The consumer is not at fault for buying something online and expecting it to arrive free of any damage.

There are many companies and even more individuals who sell steelbooks online without any issues whatsoever. All it takes is a bit of consideration for the product and the people buying it.
Thanks given by:
aviosis (04-11-2021), carnival (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 11:50 PM   #15

Aug 2019

Unfortunately ranting about it won't change anything. This has apparently been an issue for some time now with Best Buy and they clearly don't care. If it bothers you that much, you can pay a little more and get it from other parties who will make sure there's no damage and package it properly. You also have the option of not purchasing steelbooks. If you choose to continue to purchase steelbooks from Best Buy then I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen - you and the small amount of consumers who complain have been clearly told by Best Buy that you don't matter to them.
Thanks given by:
Cruel Angel (04-11-2021), cyclorama (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 12:01 AM   #16
Power Member

Jul 2019
Omaha

I donít own a ton of steelbooks, but Iíve never had issues with ones Iíve gotten at/thru Best Buy. Guess Iíve been lucky.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:02 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
Unfortunately ranting about it won't change anything. This has apparently been an issue for some time now with Best Buy and they clearly don't care. If it bothers you that much, you can pay a little more and get it from other parties who will make sure there's no damage and package it properly. You also have the option of not purchasing steelbooks. If you choose to continue to purchase steelbooks from Best Buy then I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen - you and the small amount of consumers who complain have been clearly told by Best Buy that you don't matter to them.
I wouldn't say that I ordered WW1984 recently and they shipped it in a box and it arrived with no damage. They do care a little I guess.

I have been ordering and buying steelbooks from Best Buy for years and only had like 4 or 5 arrive damaged or damaged off store shelf. So for me not that many times but for most people once is enough I guess.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:09 AM   #18
Expert Member

Aug 2016

"...many steelbooks can't even be purchased in-store, no matter how much a person wants to."

Yeah so?

"They're well aware that there is a collectors market for these steelbooks but they simply don't give a shit about those who collect them."

No they don't. Why should they? They don't even care about SteelBooks. They don't even care about movies. Do you really think if they stopped selling them that they would go out of business?

Do you think they even care about their employees? Or whether they catch COVID? Or die? They don't even care if you, somebody they don't know, catches COVID from buying a SteelBook in their store and dies. Or if you get hit by a truck exiting the store. So why would they give a shit about somebody who buys a SteelBook or any other product from their store?

Guess what? No other retail company gives a shit about people either. That's just the way it is.

For over 10 years people have been complaining about damaged SteelBooks.
If SteelBooks are still around in 10 years people will still be complaining about the same problems.

You can't change the way things are done but at least you feel better now that you have typed out your complaint on a SteelBook forum.
Thanks given by:
aviosis (04-11-2021), heavyharmonies (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 12:09 AM   #19
Special Member

Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)

Best buy used to be amazing, anymore I attempt to be there in person on release day but they have so few or even none at all. If I'm lucky to get one, I open in store right at the register and after purchase I make them exchange it if damaged. Lately I've been ordering ahead of time at Barnes and Noble for regular editions. I'm soooo close to making B&N my only brick and mortar store for physical media.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:17 AM   #20

Apr 2017
Oklahoma City

Iíve never had any damaged steelbooks in
all the times Iíve had it shipped to my home.
There was one problem when I went in on
release day to pickup the steelbook of Frozen
2. I go to the counter desk and she looks
up my name and she says unfortunately we
had a limited supply shipped in and whatever
amount it was, it had already sold out.

They didnít have enough copies to reserve
mine in store. So Iím like then whatís the
point of pickup option then, I couldíve had
it shipped instead. So she looked up other
locations in my area and sure enough, there
was one store who had enough copies to buy.
After that I just stuck with online only when it
comes to buying popular steelbooks, when
Frozen 2 was red hot and nearly impossible to
find in best buy stores
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries