Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Sherlock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Umbrella Academy: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Grisaia: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
12 hrs ago
Knights of Sidonia: Complete Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
13 hrs ago
Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
12 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Jon Pertwee: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Star Trek: Lower Decks - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

MM!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
11 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Kaiji: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.93

His Dark Materials: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Default Syfy's "Stargate SG-1/Atlantis" Discussion (1997-2009)

I'll start the thread up. I know there are a few Stargate fans here, so I'll create a thread for all of us to post in.

Atlantis: "Trio" just aired tonight, and next weeks episode will be "Midway", featuring the guest appearance by Christopher Judge "Teal'c". Should be good!
Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Banned

Jan 2008

I love both these shows
Old 02-09-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Beard View Post
I love both these shows
Myself as well. Filming for Season 5 of Atlantis is expected to begin later this month. Lots of great changes in the mix.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

Geez, that's 2 weeks in a row now that I've forgotten to watch SGA and it's one of my favorite shows. I think I need to set an alarm or something.

One request for this thread, if you don't mind. Please use a text color that is hard to see when discussing episodes so that people can easily avoid seeing any potential spoilers.

Edit: Actually, nevermind on that. That would be really inconvenient, especially since a lot of the discussion will probably be on the various episodes.

Last edited by owa; 02-09-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Southern NM

I can't remember looking forward to an episode so much for a long time. Not that there has been anything wrong of late, just that this one really appealed to me.

So, is it just me or has this season really had a lot of "let's put x and y together by themselves and see what happens when they run into trouble" episodes? With the odd X y and z variations. I know that Stargate often has character or character pair focus episodes, but it seems like they are really trying to play around with the character pairups this season.

Chris
Old 02-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #6

Oct 2007
Kenosha, WI

im hoping that they bring all 10 seasons of sg1 to blu ray, so tempted to buy the dvd set, but i just cant bring myself to shell out the money for standard discs
Old 02-09-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
im hoping that they bring all 10 seasons of sg1 to blu ray, so tempted to buy the dvd set, but i just cant bring myself to shell out the money for standard discs
Well, if any element of the Stargate will be brought to Blu-ray, it will likely be Atlantis, starting with Season 1. I urge those involved to use a super high quality AVC encode for the video, and lossless audio (likely DTS-HD) for the English audio at least. No MPEG-2 encodes, except for some special features most likely. For the HD material, it's AVC for my preferences.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindcat87 View Post
I can't remember looking forward to an episode so much for a long time. Not that there has been anything wrong of late, just that this one really appealed to me.

So, is it just me or has this season really had a lot of "let's put x and y together by themselves and see what happens when they run into trouble" episodes? With the odd X y and z variations. I know that Stargate often has character or character pair focus episodes, but it seems like they are really trying to play around with the character pairups this season.

Chris
"Trio" does exactly this. It puts McKay, Carter, and Keller all into the same situation alone. And next weeks "Midway" will put Ronon and Teal'c together in a dangerous situation. I won't say much more on this one until it airs.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Southern NM

I would like to hold out for BD, but if Amazon puts that set on sale again anytime in the next 6 months, it will likely be too tempting for me. Unless BD versions have been announced.

I don't remember how SG-1 was shot, so I don't know what the likelihood of Blu-Ray releases is.

I know that all seasons of Atlantis are definitely candidates for BD release. I have them all on SD and will gladly double dip on BD editions.

Chris

Quote:
Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

you're going to punch yourself Cat

DDD had SG-1 complete for $115, but the deal's over

A Blu re-release is highly unlikely.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post

It would take much more time to pass before we see the SG-1 seasons released in Blu-ray. Both shows do deserve the Blu-ray treatment, but a high quality one, not a rushed one. Warner's getting it right with their releases, and Fox will do the same, since they do the distribution for the MGM catalog.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #12
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Southern NM

Oh man. Missed that one. I almost bit when it was $155 or whatever that last deal on Amazon was for. If I had seen that it would have been mine.

I figure Amazon will have it as a Gold Box deal again some time in the next few months. If it doesn't happen before May, I can probably convince some generous family members to get it for my birthday. Free would be even better than on sale.

Chris

Quote:

Old 02-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
It would take much more time to pass before we see the SG-1 seasons released in Blu-ray. Both shows do deserve the Blu-ray treatment, but a high quality one, not a rushed one.
They'd have to remaster the first 5 seasons from scratch, it's not a trivial project. Star Trek was easy to do it on, because they had 35mm broadcast prints. Plus none of the FX until the last few seasons are HD.

It would be extremely expensive to do so, and since Stargate's syndication value is saturated and falling, very impractical financially. Let it sit for a decade off of 5 nights a week repeats and then think about it

ST:TNG is the only show likely to receive this kind of treatment any time in the near future, and all that depends on the results of the tests Paramount has been doing. The other problem is that both shows were shot 16mm for their first couple seasons, and that definately will hurt the wow factor on non dedicated buyers ona very expensive project (176 for TNG, 210+ for SG-1)

Given the work needed to find, catalog, rescan and re-edit, it could cost up to a million dollars an ep, and neither Paramount or MGM is known for their generous purses

Last edited by WickyWoo; 02-09-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
They'd have to remaster the first 5 seasons from scratch, it's not a trivial project. Star Trek was easy to do it on, because they had 35mm broadcast prints. Plus none of the FX until the last few seasons are HD.

It would be extremely expensive to do so, and since Stargate's syndication value is saturated and falling, very impractical financially. Let it sit for a decade off of 5 nights a week repeats and then think about it

ST:TNG is the only show likely to receive this kind of treatment any time in the near future, and all that depends on the results of the tests Paramount has been doing. The other problem is that both shows were shot 16mm for their first couple seasons, and that definately will hurt the wow factor on non dedicated buyers ona very expensive project (176 for TNG, 210+ for SG-1)

Given the work needed to find, catalog, rescan and re-edit, it could cost up to a million dollars an ep, and neither Paramount or MGM is known for their generous purses
I know. Very well said. As much as I'd like to see SG-1 on Blu-ray. I'd wait for a well-done mastering and transfer process to be done. Also, I'd rather prefer, from a marketing perspective to have Season 1 released before Season 8. Sure, Season 8 could be done faster in some ways, but it would throw off consumers somewhat. I'd have to say that Atlantis is the best choice for Stargate high definition. That and the two movies, The Ark of Truth and Continuum.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Southern NM

I kind of figured that would be the case. Most of my most wanted shows for BD are Sci Fi and most of them have these problems for release in high definition. That is why I don't mind buying them in SD. It is better than not having them at all. My top wanted are Farscape, B5, the Stargates, X-Files, and basically all of Joss's TV series. AFAIK, all of these with the exception of Atlantis have issues with the way some or all seasons were filmed, with effects mastering, or both. Sad truth, but it is the reason I still buy TV series SD DVDs. Can't wait to replace my Atlantis SD DVDs though, whenever they put it back on the schedule.

Chris

Quote:

Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #16

Oct 2007
Kenosha, WI

ive been kinda of disappointed in atlantis this season, i really dont care for the doctor that took becketts place, teyla is sitting on the sidelines now cause shes pregnant, and i thought that carter was fantastic on sg1, on atlantis shes kinda dopey always looking to mckay for the answers but when she was on sg1 she pretty much outsmarted him at every turn
Old 02-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #17

Jun 2007
UK

They constantly show Stargate SG-1 in the UK on SKY One (2 episodes a day) I have seen it from start to finish 3 or 4 times now and still set it in my programme planner to watch later.

I can't wait for the new third franchise to air.

I did not think much of the new SG-1 direct to DVD movie Stargate: The Ark of Truth I hope the next one is better Stargate: Continuum .

Richard Dean Anderson rocks.

ps get rid of the Farscape rejects.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #18

Oct 2007
Kenosha, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2 View Post

Richard Dean Anderson rocks.

ps get rid of the Farscape rejects.
i saw farscape once and thought it sucked so i had to do a check to see who was in it, and your right.
i hate how they try to promote that ugly old skank vala as a sex symbol seriously YUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and never cared for cameron, he did start to fit in better near the end of the series.
but let me reflect VALA = YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
Expert Member

Jun 2007

The MGM trailer for "Midway" is up:

http://stargate.mgm.com/video.php?id=109
Old 02-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #20
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
i saw farscape once and thought it sucked so i had to do a check to see who was in it, and your right.
i hate how they try to promote that ugly old skank vala as a sex symbol seriously YUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and never cared for cameron, he did start to fit in better near the end of the series.
but let me reflect VALA = YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Farscape is a show you have to watch from the very beginning to know what's going on. My reaction was the same as yours, until I went back an watch it from the beginning. Farscape is a good show, but no where near the best Sci-fi show.

I personally thought Cameron and Vala were ok characters. Of course they can't replace Richard Dean Anderson , but then who can? Honestly I thought RDA's perform started going down hill in Season 7 and was pretty bad in Season 8. (Too much joking around)

I love both SG-1 and Atlantis and would buy them if they came to Blu-ray. SG-1 maybe far off, but I’m hoping they release Atlantis on Blu-ray soon. I’ve been holding off on buy it on DVD since I heard Atlantis Season 1 was coming to Blu-ray, but that was almost two years ago.

I guess I’ll be buying the two upcoming movies on DVD to show my support. I would prefer Blu though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows