Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Tax Collector 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.96
9 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Justice Society: World War II (Blu-ray)
$19.96
4 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Ultraman Zero Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Spider-Man Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.15
7 hrs ago
Ip Man: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Mauritanian (Blu-ray)
$22.96
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

View Poll Results: Do you care about special features on Blu-ray?
Yes 109 38.93%
Yes, but not much 74 26.43%
No, not interested in bonus features at all 97 34.64%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #41
Blu-ray Champion

May 2010
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
Dependes on the movie. Like Batman begins. When Goonies, Dark Knight, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk come out then I'll watch them. So for me it's a mix between yes and no.
Same boat. If it's one of my favorite movies such as Pulp Fiction, Blade Runner or Scarface etc. I'll watch some of the special features, mostly being making of documentaries and interviews. There are some excellent documentaries I have watched a couple of times, one of which is the Valkyrie legacy on the Valkyrie Blu-ray. Excellent documentary.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #42
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

besides trailers I haven't watched a special feature in over 5 years
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #43
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
besides trailers I haven't watched a special feature in over 5 years
ironic. i usually watch all special features except for trailers. small world!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

I tend to watch most special features. I have never done a full commentary track though
Old 08-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #45

Aug 2012
Westeros

I've never watched a movie with the Commentary Track, but I do love watching the making-of, behind the scenes, gag-reel, alternate scenes/endings, and any other documentary that helps you get deeper into the movie. Sometimes they show you things you haven't noticed before or explain other things in a way that might change your perception of a particular scene, where you got it all wrong before. Sometimes they make me like the movie more by getting to know it better

So, I'd say yes
Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

i wouldn't say that i "care" about them, but i do enjoy them sometimes.

i don't really care for commentary (bugs me to watch a movie with someone talking over it). but i do like some behind the scenes stuff and a good bloopers reel.

although if a bd doesn't offer any of that but gives me an excellent movie experience with great picture and audio quality, then the absence of extras aren't an issue.

obviously some of the best extras on a bd (that i've seen) are on the lotr movies. with hours and hours of extras, they make the movies seem short in comparison. but if none of the extras had been on any of the movies, i would've enjoyed the movies just as much.

what i don't like is when a bd is coming out and i see a commercial for it and they tell you about all the extras you get with it. then when i get the bd and i pop it in all i get is maybe a commentary track and a 2 minute behind-the-scenes reel.

so i do like some extras with my movies, but it's not a make-or-break deal for me.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #47
Blu-ray Jedi

Aug 2011
At The Movie Theater Again Hopefully May 14th

Yes, I do very much care about features. Mainly lengthy making of documentaries and feature commentaries. I listen to alot of commentaries, but that's only cause I'm very interested in film-making and i see all these features as a film school on the cheap.

Sometime I feel a film might not be a purchase right away movie if it doesn't have a bunch of features. I'd either get it right away if i loved the movie or the price was cheap.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

I really enjoy special features, I mean that is what DVD/Blu-ray was about giving you stuff that no other format could. I like watching old movies that I was to young to see back in the day & see the making of features from the time frame the movie was being filmed.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #49
Banned

Jul 2013
United Kingdom

Hi,

I absolutely DO want extras on DVD's and Blu-Ray's. In this day-and-age, if stuff already exists (interviews, featurettes, making of's, etc), then I want them, alongside the film.

A film with great picture and sound is great, but I want to know more. I want to be able to delve behind-the-scenes and here how the film was made; who made it; find out more about its inception and production.

There really is no excuse for giving us bare-bones film releases! And it annoys me when companies, don't even include a trailer, let alone an audio commentary, documentary or featurette of some kind.

Pooch
Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
I live where you vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblu View Post
I really enjoy special features, I mean that is what DVD/Blu-ray was about giving you stuff that no other format could. I like watching old movies that I was to young to see back in the day & see the making of features from the time frame the movie was being filmed.
I disagree, what is all about with DVD/BD is the increased PQ & AQ, extras are just... extras.

The only extra I have cared for is the DVD of Bruce Lee's Game of Death w/ the orig 25 mins lost footage
Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #51
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

If I watched each and every special feature on my Blus, it'd take about three or four days just to get through ONE movie (who needs two or three commentaries per movie?), instead of watching more movies and keeping my "to-watch" pile under control. Once I've watched everything I own, I might go back for specific extras.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #52
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I don't watch them.

I would only watch them if it's a music or concert blu ray ... those could be good.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

If it is for a movie/series that is one of my all time than yes, but it is just for a for something that enjoy occasionally than not so much.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:06 AM   #54
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......

Not so much.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #55
Banned

Nov 2014
Right behind ya.
Default Oh God Yes.

Yes and a half. If this format boasts about how much space discs can hold the space is there then yes, more features if it has the room for it. Especially for those people dishing out 30 bux for new releases. For actors and industry people it is food to us, we need it. I love it when full documentaries, the movie's trailer, making of's and interviews are included.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #56
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2012

I enjoy feature length documentaries like the ones done for Blade Runner and the Alien films. Deleted scenes are good for films I absolutely love but I don't bother with commentary tracks. Retrospectives for long running TV shows are great.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Out There

I'm usually only interested in the trailer, the only special features that I have gone through in any detail are the Star Wars movies
Old 12-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
California

Depends on the film. In the early days of DVDs, I loved having a wealth of bonus features and watched everything, because it was all new to me (as someone who never owned laserdisc). These days, though, with so much stuff available, and still more coming out left and right, I often find myself skipping a lot of bonus features because it feels like I just don't have the time. Unless it's a film that I really, really like and feel intrigued enough to explore all the behind-the-scenes stuff, I tend to end up ignoring a lot of features.

If every release had just a commentary, trailer and one good "Making of" documentary (and gag reel, because I love bloopers), I'd be happy.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Not a whit. For me, it takes away from the film. The ones I've seen often have tales about the content that didn't make it into the film, and I never say, "what a loss"...it's usually a blessing they were cut.

I pay to see the movie, not what the cast ate for lunch. Actors are out of character, ruining a re-watch down the line..it's just a mess.

I guess it's a nice job for some studio honcho's niece or nephew, or whatever, but I'd be happier if the disc came with some popcorn or something.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #60
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

I used to love special features. I still do, but it's rare for me to watch them now. Documentaries are welcomed, but ONLY if the feature takes itself seriously. Stuff like the appendices for the LotR trilogy, girl with the dragon tattoo etc are great examples. All the marvel films on the other hand have features that are just garbage fluff pieces. I have no time for that crap, so I'd rather have nothing than junk like that.

Commentaries are usually fun, and I enjoy those a lot.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat