Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
10 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
13 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
14 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
11 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
8 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
14 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
14 hrs ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Wildcats (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
1 day ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #881
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2017
いえ の なか で

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post
Batman & Robin was kind of one of those "you had to be there" movies. Back in 1997, this movie was incredibly disappointing. The Batman film franchise had basically been flushed down the toilet. Nobody wanted to see Batman return to a more campy/comedy tone.

Even as an homage to the goofier 60's era, Batman & Robin isn't that great, IMO. The original 60's Adam West/Burt Ward series/film was a lot more funny and clever than B&R. I can see enjoying it on some level now in retrospect because it's such a bizarre acid-trip, but the writing and performances do get very grating, especially Ahnold's virtually non-stop ice pun dialog throughout the movie.
Arnold is one of the very few saving graces in that movie. Him and John Glover. Basically this is a great history lesson for those wondering how WB managed to ruin JL 20 years later.

Too dark, make lighter, also put stuff in so we can sell toys.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #882
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014
Winnetka, CA

When it comes to the Burton films, one word that gets thrown around quite a bit to describe them is "campy" I watched them both again the other night back to back, and I still don't see it Another thing people say is that they're not that far removed from the 1966 TV series...umm, what? That is a gross exaggeration and couldn't be further from the truth. I get that it's the cool thing to crap on these movies now, but I'm tired of seeing these movies discredited so much by fans of the Nolan films to prop those movies up. Sure, both films have their comedic moments, but they don't dominate the running times. They still are what they've always been; dark gothic fantasy/superhero movies. Almost fairytale in nature. Jack's Joker is always criticized for being too funny, but I think he nailed the balance of the character. One minute he's funny, and he's talking to a charred corpse laughing maniacally to himself the next. Both films are also ultra violent and feature a Batman that kills and in the second film the Penguin's plot revolves around kidnapping sleeping children and dumping them into toxic waste, so again I don't get why "campy" is thrown around so much Elements of camp, sure, but make no mistake about it they're just as dark and brooding as they were back in 1989/1992. While Batman Returns has it's sillier scenes (i.e. Penguins with rockets strapped to their backs, Penguin controlling the Batmobile through a K-Mart kiddie ride, driving a mechanical duck, etc.), it is a very tragic movie with a lot of psychological and emotional depth especially the ending!
Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #883
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2016
Australia

I think you're confusing the Burton films with the Schumacher films.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #884

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettxwt View Post
When it comes to the Burton films, one word that gets thrown around quite a bit to describe them is "campy" I watched them both again the other night back to back, and I still don't see it Another thing people say is that they're not that far removed from the 1966 TV series...umm, what? That is a gross exaggeration and couldn't be further from the truth.
I agree, these aren't campy films. They throw themselves fully into the comic book aesthetic of the era.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America