Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Office: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.97
1 hr ago
48 Hrs. (Blu-ray)
$15.99
1 day ago
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Malignant (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
John Hughes: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$15.22
1 day ago
Audrey Hepburn: 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.08
1 day ago
A Place in the Sun (Blu-ray)
$15.99
1 day ago
Menace II Society 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Smallville: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$133.69

The Flash: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Court Jester (Blu-ray)
$15.99
1 day ago
Citizen Kane 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 404 55.80%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 320 44.20%
Voters: 724. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2021, 08:39 AM   #4701
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjean View Post
There are many releases censored/bad mastering/less quality audio on bluray even 4K.

I don't know about collecting but I lookat my time with Laser Disc as not wasted but rather an experience where I gained knowledge and appreciation.
Bolded part of it was a big part of it for me. I got into the game late in the early 2000s when people were basically throwing their collections away and it was too early for a nostalgia wave. So it was mostly a pretty low cost hobby for the movies themselves. A whole lot of them at the time I paid under five bucks each and there were many I got for around a dollar each. Higher interest and rarer titles I might've spent upwards of around $15 or so for End of Days, Bringing Out the Dead, Sleepy Hollow, etc. At the time it was an interesting oddity because I'd always heard of them and only rarely seen them in person. Two different classrooms over the years that I can recall had a player. And so when I ran across a few discs for sale a local video warehouse outlet store it kind of ignited a new hobby at the time. Really liked the vinyl-like cover art and the audio seemed way better than dvd on average back then. Plus, on a 4:3 crt tv the picture was often reasonably comparable as well. It took a bit of time for dvd to really get fine tuned and my first players were of pretty mediocre quality.

In hindsight, it's still pretty interesting how LD was only like 1% of the home video marketshare and existed as a high-end niche for over 20 years. Growing up I can only recall coming across the format a handful of times and very few families that I can recall had a player. One of them was a family where the father was a physician and the other was middle class and had a handful of discs purchased in Germany. So none of them were really 'collectors' like you'd see on this forum. The overwhelming majority of people who were getting into dvd were coming from vhs and I still recall how amazing the jump in perceived quality was at the time. Even very early dvds like Labyrinth and Total Recall had what seemed like a transparent 'looking through a window' pq at the time as someone who grew up watching movies at home on vhs and over the air on tv. But when I ended up getting into LD, it often still held up pretty well in pq and with much higher bitrate audio when using PCM or the rarer dedicated DTS discs. There were certainly quirks like the side changes, but it was a fun way to experience movies during that interim time before hi-def. It would've been nice if the squeeze/anamorphic options could've been adopted much earlier and with more releases despite so few capable tvs and the same goes for 1080i MUSE. Unfortunately in the case of MUSE it was limited to the most exotic players as well. But overall there was a lot of evolution in the format's cycle and it's a nice technological relic.

Last edited by meremortal; 11-20-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Thanks given by:
LaserD (11-20-2021), Monterey Jack (11-26-2021), Pondosinatra (11-21-2021), Retroj23 (11-21-2021), slimjean (11-20-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #4702
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

One of the advantages of the 12 inch and 8 inch Laserdiscs, is that they were 100% stamped (pressed) in a optical disc factory. There was no recordable Laserdiscs in the formats specs. One had to own a Laserdisc stamping factory that cost over a million dollars to make a Laserdisc. There were absolutely zero bootlegged counterfeit Laserdisc copies being made because of the no recordable feature of the format and the over one million dollar cost to own a factory that could stamp a Laserdisc. The same can be said for the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format, since recordable discs are not part of the formats specs there is absolutely zero pirated 4K Blu-ray discs in existence since one has to own a multi-million dollar optical disc factory that can stamp 4K Blu-ray discs. So that is why one never sees a bootlegged or pirated 4K Blu-ray disc. The encryption is also very strong on 4K Blu-ray discs with BD+ renewable security and even if one was to break the encryption all they can do is rip the disc to a 16TB or larger hard drive since blank 4K Blu-ray discs do not exist.

Now Blu-ray and DVD is another story. There are sometimes pirated bootlegged copies of DVD titles being sold online and even though Blu-ray is more secure with renewable security, once and a while pirated Blu-ray bootlegged copies of 10 to 15 old less secure titles are being sold online. Both the DVD and Blu-ray format have recordable discs. Perhaps one of the reasons why the BDA made the 4K Blu-ray format only stamped with no recordable feature (just like Laserdisc), is so no pirated bootlegged 4K Blu-ray discs can not exist on the market since one has to own a multi-million-dollar optical disc factory. Some studios do not release 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs since there is no region coding, and some studios prefer a Blu-ray release that uses region coding. It's too bad the BDA did not make region coding part of the 4K Blu-ray specs, since it turns some studios off to the format. Consumers like 4K Blu-ray being region free, but some studios want to use region coding and stay away from the 4K Blu-ray format. A Blu-ray and DVD can be released as region free or with region coding.

Some smaller studios now use recordable DVD and Blu-ray discs for less popular movie titles under 1,000 copies. However even on stamped DVD and Blu-ray discs, some very small studios to save money are choosing to not shrink wrap brand new releases. I find it odd buying a brand-new DVD or Blu-ray and finding out that the small studio did not shrink wrap any of the stamped or recordable discs.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-22-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #4703
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2016

Old 11-23-2021, 11:04 PM   #4704
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
One of the advantages of the 12 inch and 8 inch Laserdiscs, is that they were 100% stamped (pressed) in a optical disc factory. ...
Keep in mind there is no need for a recordable 4K medium anymore since memory is so cheap and people just back up on the cloud now. There is no market for 4K recordable discs.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #4705
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
Keep in mind there is no need for a recordable 4K medium anymore since memory is so cheap and people just back up on the cloud now. There is no market for 4K recordable discs.
There are BDXL triple layer and quad layer discs.

While not exactly compliant with the UHD standard, they are there.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:51 AM   #4706
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Also there definitely were bootleg laserdiscs.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #4707
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
Also there definitely were bootleg laserdiscs.
Never.

At least not in my collection
Old 11-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #4708
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Blank discs exist in likely small quantities out there, but it seems like it was one of those things that was out of reach for the non-professionals even with the proper equipment. Never recall seeing an LD bootleg. And that's certainly a good thing as you can buy with confidence that a product will be legit. On the flipside, it would have been cool to see modern movies on LD as a gimmick kind of in the way a lot of bands release limited cassette runs or some blus that include a vhs capture of the film as a bonus feature. On that last note, it'd be a nice touch to say see boutique labels add LD captures from a high-end machine like the HLD-XO onto blus as a special feature.

Last edited by meremortal; 11-26-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #4709
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Blank discs exist in likely small quantities out there, but it seems like it was one of those things that was out of reach for the non-professionals even with the proper equipment. Never recall seeing an LD bootleg. And that's certainly a good thing as you can buy with confidence that a product will be legit. On the flipside, it would have been cool to see modern movies on LD as a gimmick kind of in the way a lot of bands release limited cassette runs or some blus that include a vhs capture of the film as a bonus feature. On that last note, it'd be a nice touch to say see boutique labels add LD captures from a high-end machine like the HLD-XO onto blus as a special feature.
Technically, you did have a recordable LD. It's called the CD-R. Video CD (VCDs) with MPEG 1 encoding would probably be on-par with LDs.

While it would be quaint to have an LD capture on a blu-ray, unless there is something unique to that release, I don't see any reason why people would want it.

Besides, the point is all moot now because no one would release it on disc in 2021. They would just upload it to YouTube or something similar. I am seeing a growing market online of independent publishers releasing rare and hard-to-find movies for disc or download.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #4710
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
Technically, you did have a recordable LD. It's called the CD-R. Video CD (VCDs) with MPEG 1 encoding would probably be on-par with LDs.
That's...not even remotely the same thing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion