Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96
 
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34
 
Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
 
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34
 
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default OLED De-Blur/De-Judder

I noticed that some TVs like the LG Oleds, have frame interpolation modes consisting of a de-judder command and a de-blur command. Which one of those two is responsible for that "unrealistic" soap opera effect where the charatcers on the screen always seem to be in front of a green screen even when they are not, and that makes a movie resemble more a theater play than a film?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Robert Zohn Robert Zohn is offline
Retailer Insider
 
Robert Zohn's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY
2
Default

On the 2016 4K OLED TVs we set TruMotion to "User" and DeJudder to 0 and DeBlur to 5.

-Robert
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
On the 2016 4K OLED TVs we set TruMotion to "User" and DeJudder to 0 and DeBlur to 5.

-Robert
Thanks Rob. I assume the TruMotion feature is very similar among the 2015 and 2016 models. The feedback I got is that as rule of thumb we want to keep de-blur fairly higher than de-judder, and find a good balance without those nasty side effects/artifacts that frame interpolation is associated with
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (06-16-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 AM   #4
wxman2003 wxman2003 is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2016
South Dakota
Default

On the 9500, Trumotion of 2,9 was ideal with blu ray. On the E6, dejudder, other than at zero introduced artifacts. Motion is better on the E6 compared to the 9500.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
On the 9500, Trumotion of 2,9 was ideal with blu ray. On the E6, dejudder, other than at zero introduced artifacts. Motion is better on the E6 compared to the 9500.
Some of us do not like the natural judder of 24fps.I am a fan of the Hobbit in 48fps, yes, yes, guilty as charged
It is hard on Oled to find that "sweet spot" with enough de-judder to get that "soapy" effect without the nasty artifacts that can be involved with it.
The Vizio D, although inferior to Oled overall, has a de-judder tool that can literally turn a movie into something resembling a Live play, but without nasty artifacts like flashes around moving bodies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Frank@Chicago Frank@Chicago is offline
Power Member
 
Frank@Chicago's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Default

2016 C6

TruMotion User: 0, 10

Any anti-judder causes nasty artifacts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
2016 C6

TruMotion User: 0, 10

Any anti-judder causes nasty artifacts.
De-Blur also causes artifacts...All motion features do. I rather live with a few motion artifacts than deal with the massive judder and blur I see without motion interpolation
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
grodd grodd is offline
Expert Member
 
grodd's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Northern CA
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
On the 2016 4K OLED TVs we set TruMotion to "User" and DeJudder to 0 and DeBlur to 5.

-Robert

Curious what do you use for your 3D settings?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
s2mikey s2mikey is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Upstate, NY
239
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
2016 C6

TruMotion User: 0, 10

Any anti-judder causes nasty artifacts.
Yeah - I actually think you can get away with DeJudder at 1 or maybe 2 but 0/10 is a fairly common setting that owners of these sets use. My 65" E6 looks great with 0/10 on 24fps content
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Yeah - I actually think you can get away with DeJudder at 1 or maybe 2 but 0/10 is a fairly common setting that owners of these sets use. My 65" E6 looks great with 0/10 on 24fps content
Can you actually see what de-blur does? According to Tedd who used test patterns de-blur also results in artifacts although less noticeable than with de- judder
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
elwaylite elwaylite is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
elwaylite's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Default

de-blur on for 60hz makes it look better, and I have not noticed artifacts on the EF9500.

dejudder seems to work best on 24hz, but I have heard of folks using DB 10 and DJ 0 (or 1 or 2) on the 2016 models without issues.

For motion related settings, its best you use what is best for you, because its all opinion. The truth is that without DB on you get 300 lines of motion, with it on 10 you get 600+.

I use trumotion off for 60hz currently because the EF9500 will stutter some time, but turn it on 2 and 10 for 24hz and it looks great. Ill prob start with the E6 on 2 and 10, and then back it down as needed, because I like the EF9500 on 2 and 10 for 60hz, when it works right.

Finally, cutting DB on to 10 from off makes an obvious difference on sports, for the better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
de-blur on for 60hz makes it look better, and I have not noticed artifacts on the EF9500.

dejudder seems to work best on 24hz, but I have heard of folks using DB 10 and DJ 0 (or 1 or 2) on the 2016 models without issues.

For motion related settings, its best you use what is best for you, because its all opinion. The truth is that without DB on you get 300 lines of motion, with it on 10 you get 600+.

I use trumotion off for 60hz currently because the EF9500 will stutter some time, but turn it on 2 and 10 for 24hz and it looks great. Ill prob start with the E6 on 2 and 10, and then back it down as needed, because I like the EF9500 on 2 and 10 for 60hz, when it works right.

Finally, cutting DB on to 10 from off makes an obvious difference on sports, for the better.
My eyes don't detect any difference with de-blur either at 0 or 10. I only notice motion changes with de-judder
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:19 AM   #13
shield80 shield80 is offline
Special Member
 
shield80's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
747
400
3
Default

I don't use true motion at all, don't like it, I stick with 24hz like I always have used.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Hucksta G (06-08-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
I don't use true motion at all, don't like it, I stick with 24hz like I always have used.
5/10 works great for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
shield80 shield80 is offline
Special Member
 
shield80's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
747
400
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
5/10 works great for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Off works great for me[emoji41]

Sent fra min Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F via Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Hucksta G (06-08-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
Off works great for me[emoji41]

Sent fra min Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F via Tapatalk
Too blurry for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #17
mysticwaterfall mysticwaterfall is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
mysticwaterfall's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Right Behind You
830
181
73
Default

I do deblur 10/dejudder 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #18
RockyIII RockyIII is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
I do deblur 10/dejudder 2.
Dejudder 2 is barely noticeable. Then again, motion is such a subjective thing on these panels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #19
mysticwaterfall mysticwaterfall is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
mysticwaterfall's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Right Behind You
830
181
73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Dejudder 2 is barely noticeable. Then again, motion is such a subjective thing on these panels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
I would do zero, but it seems like just a touch helped with the pans in planet earth 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #20
aetherhole aetherhole is offline
Special Member
 
aetherhole's Avatar
 
Nov 2015
Tustin, CA
778
3
1
Default

Dejudder 1 is noticeable to me. Artifacts with DJ 1 even are quite noticeable and distracting to me. So DJ is always off on my set.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 PM.