Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

The Mask of Zorro 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
47 min ago
Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thir13en Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$24.96
12 hrs ago
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II (Blu-ray)
$12.96
7 hrs ago
The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Come and See (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.08
2 hrs ago
Shutter Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.68
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....
Default Dvd Spot????

Am I crazy here, or are there others out there that think listing all of your DVDs is time-consuming, and with no real upside...... Why go through the time??? I tried to throw mine in an Excel spreadsheet one time, just so I could keep track of them and know if I lost any, etc. and I couldn't finish typing it all up..... too time consuming!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indio, CA

Well, some have said that it's good for insurance purposes. For me, it was a good way to keep track of all my Blu's. However, I have waayyy too many SDs and just did not want to take the time to add them all to that, or any, site.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #3

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

I see! I have a little over 1k standard DVDs (one blu ray so far.... got it yesterday!!!) I never thought of the insurance thing, then again, I have a home in a nice area, so unless there is a fire, I should be alright. Maybe I'll give the spreadsheet another shot!!!! I wonder if DVD Spot would recognize the 6 different copies of Reservoir Dogs I have. (special edition, then I have Mr. Blonde, Pink, Brown, Orange, and White editions)
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Miami

I love dvdspot it gives me a quick print out I keep in my pocket when looking for movies at BB.

Especially since I have received a few as gifts that I haven't watched yet.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indio, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
I see! I have a little over 1k standard DVDs (one blu ray so far.... got it yesterday!!!) I never thought of the insurance thing, then again, I have a home in a nice area, so unless there is a fire, I should be alright. Maybe I'll give the spreadsheet another shot!!!! I wonder if DVD Spot would recognize the 6 different copies of Reservoir Dogs I have. (special edition, then I have Mr. Blonde, Pink, Brown, Orange, and White editions)
They seem to have just about all versions of every movie to pick from. For my standard DVDs, I keep them on an alphabetized list in Microsoft Word. Dvdspot would be good for your Blu collection since you're just starting out--as I was last fall when I joined that site to keep track of them.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Rochester, NY

I love the site, and it is very hand for quick reference for specs, and what movies I have watched and such. Plus if someone wants to know what I have, it's an easy link to send. Beats a spreadsheet anyday.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2007
I live in a pineapple under the sea...

I just started using DVDSPOT and I like it. I've gone through 1/2 of my SD collection so far and everything I have so far has been in the database. I think it's a great way to keep track of my collection...

as long as the site doesn't go belly-up.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #8

Jun 2007

i have been using this product its easy and not alot of typing crap.
http://www.rmsft.com/mmd/screenshots1.html
Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

There are several upsides.

1) Bragging rights

B) An estimated value of your entertainment library for insurance estimates.

three) Keeping track of what you own or have just "seen" when considering buying things online and don't want to go through your library again to check

And finally, making and reading reviews to get/give an idea of what the movie was like.

I like DVDspot, it also has a ranking of how many BDs vs HD DVDs people own. BD is over 60%.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Rochester, NY

I like to rank all of my titles too, and then check what other people rank them. I think all around it is a very cool site. The fact that it's free is even better.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Power Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

Quote:
Probably, they are very good about having all of the various releases out there. They even have the various region for many blu-rays. Once you get caught up to current, it isn't hard to stay up to date. Also, you don't have to enter the extra data... it takes about 15 seconds to just catalog that you own a movie - not that hard.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #12

Jul 2007
Northeast NC

I use excel and Delicious Monster on my Mac. The excel transfers over to my Treo which I use when I go shopping. DM is more for insurance purposes and provides a ton of info without having to get up and look for the disc. Works for books, CDs and games, too!

Since I'm over 3K in the number of discs and games I have, I could never start to do this now. Luckily, I started a long time ago and just kept up with it. What I really need is a Mac program that will transfer to my Treo so that I can eliminate excel.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Hatfield, UK / Jakarta, Indonesia

I use excel as well till I found DVD spot. click the link for my profile on my sig
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Southern NM

I wish someone would put out some tracking software that would allow one to enter new titles into your list by scanning the UPC. It would give me an excuse to buy a bar code scanner since there are several products that allow the blind to keep track of things with a personal bar code system. They use tactile bar code tags or stickers in case anyone is wondering how this works. I have enough vision to use a gadget called a pocket viewer (basically a hand held little viewer with a LCD display) to find the UPC on DVDs and BDs. Though I really can't read them on it anymore, if I can locate them, I can scan them and it would make a really tedious task much more doable.

Chris
Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #15

Apr 2007
El Cajon

Quote:
just checked for you and it came up with 22 matches, every one you mentioned plus a whole lot more.

I use dvdspot myself. its just good to keep track of everything, how many I have what i have spent.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #16
Special Member

Jul 2007
An Island in the Adriatic

I don't keep track of my SD collection anymore (too many!), but I do have separate DVD Spot accounts for my Eureka Masters of Cinema discs (which is my favorite classics edition bar none, better than Criterion) and my Blu-rays.

Among other things, it's a way to remember how much I paid for it all, including the inevitable s&h. And I really like the layout of that site.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2007
Northern California

Quote:
I see! I have a little over 1k standard DVDs (one blu ray so far.... got it yesterday!!!)
Now is the best time to start an account for your BDs...if you only have one then it shouldn't take that long.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Puerto Rico
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindcat87 View Post
I wish someone would put out some tracking software that would allow one to enter new titles into your list by scanning the UPC. It would give me an excuse to buy a bar code scanner since there are several products that allow the blind to keep track of things with a personal bar code system. They use tactile bar code tags or stickers in case anyone is wondering how this works. I have enough vision to use a gadget called a pocket viewer (basically a hand held little viewer with a LCD display) to find the UPC on DVDs and BDs. Though I really can't read them on it anymore, if I can locate them, I can scan them and it would make a really tedious task much more doable.

Chris
You can try this one, its very good and they have a scanner too. I don't have the scanner, but the software works pretty well for me. I have the movie collector, and trying out the game collector.

Collectorz.com
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #19

Jan 2008

being in the military and having to move often, i am used to taking pictures of all my belongings for insurance purposes, which is what i did with my dvd collection, all my dvds are photographed and stored online and an external hdd, never know what can happen when your out at to dinner.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #20

Jul 2007
Northeast NC

Delicioius Monster uses the installed camera on my mac to read barcodes for easy input. It uses Amazon to get pictures and other info. It also uses data from other countries. It just doesn't export to Palm devices
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion