Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
10 hrs ago
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
7 hrs ago
The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
10 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
10 hrs ago
The Man from the Alamo / They Came to Cordura (Blu-ray)
$11.99
10 hrs ago
Husbands (Blu-ray)
$29.49
7 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$36.64
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Default 2017 Pioneer BDR-211UBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray computer drive

Even though my motherboard does not have SGX technology, I decided to purchase the top of the line out of production 2017 model Pioneer BDR-211UBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive for $129.95 plus free shipping (The last batch of drives manufactured have an April 2019 date according to my understanding of when manufacturing stopped for that model).

At this time Pioneer does not have any 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray computer drives in production for the United States market (Just a standard BD-ROM drive for 2D and 3D 1080P Blu-ray discs). This appears to be the last Pioneer 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray computer drive for the USA market unless something changes. See the following link for more details.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=21

When using a 2015 X99 motherboard Windows 10 sees the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc and the GB size of the 4K Blu-ray that is inserted, however PowerDVD 19 Ultra gives that famous pop up error message that since one does not have Intel SGX technology on the motherboard and CPU that one cannot playback the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. I knew this would happen before I purchased the drive, however since this appears to be the last 4K Ultra HD computer drive from Pioneer I decided to get one just in case sometime in the future I find a high-end motherboard that offers the SGX feature. I am hoping that one day someone will make a SGX software emulation program (that is if its allowed under the licensing rules then no special hard to find hardware would be needed).

So even if I never use the drive for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, at least the drive works for 128GB and 100GB BDXL Blu-ray discs, standard 50GB and 25GB Blu-ray discs , DVD discs, and audio CDís . In addition it is a Blu-ray burner drive.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
ChipoHumi466

! . .
Old 10-14-2019, 02:22 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Important update: Pioneer is still making 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drives and BDXL drives for the United States market.

According to the spec sheet the only advantage of the 2019 Pioneer BDR-212UBK when compared to the 2017 Pioneer BDR-211UBK is that the newer model officially supports M-Disc technology and comes bundled with newer software.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...43&postcount=1

It should be mentioned that even though the spec sheet for the out of production 2017 Pioneer BDR-211UBK drive does not officially support M-Disc, there are Amazon dealers that are bundling 100GB M Disc BDXL Verbatim brand discs with the old Pioneer BDR-211UBK.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-14-2019 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

This is real good news. Pioneer has officially just came out with 7 new optical Blu-ray drives for the United States market. Maybe it had something to do with the Sound United Deal merger not being approved. Sound United Deal to Acquire Onkyo & Pioneer Is Dead

If one checks the Pioneer website there is a new desktop 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive available, also many new portable drives (The portable Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD is Pioneers very first portable 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive for the USA market and it offers USB 3.1 interface technology). Pioneer is now officially supporting M-Disc technology in their spec sheet.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...omputer+Drives

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-14-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Since the 2017 Pioneer BDR-211UBK unofficially supports M-disc technology according to some Pioneer dealers, I am planning on not upgrading to the new 2019 Pioneer BDR-212UBK drive. The only real advantage is slightly newer software that comes with the BDR-212UBK drive and official M-disc support mentioned in the specs. The front face plate of the BDR-211UBK and BDR-212UBK looks exactly the same and perhaps maybe the new drive might use the exact same firmware (but that would need to be verified).
Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2007
Clermont-Ferrand, France
Send a message via MSN to TheTenth

just came to 4K 30th december with a Samsung TV
I discovered my PS4 can't read UHD movies, and my PC can't because my video card sucks. As I search around I see internal 4K Blu-ray players are extremely rare, but I'll look around (France).
Would an external one have reduced quality? As I undestand USB cords don't have a great signal quality so I don't get how it could work.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:00 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Most people that watch native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs have purchased a standalone 4K Blu-ray player starting at $100+. There are only two brands of 4K Ultra HD BD-ROM drives on the market for desktop and Notebook computers. Your choice is either Pioneer or LG. The other issue is that because of the security requirements to playback a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc, one needs a special motherboard and CPU with Intel SGX technology and the graphics card is required to be built into the motherboard.

External 4K Blu-ray optical drives work great if one is using USB 3.1 10Gbps or USB 3.0 5Gbps connection. The optical drive is the slowest part of the equation.

While I prefer the quality of Pioneer Blu-ray optical drives that start at around $80 for standard 1080P writing and I own a more expensive high-end Pioneer 4K Ultra HD BD-ROM drive for my desktop computer. Back in the year 2016 one could purchase a Lite-On iHOS104-06 OEM 4 times BD-ROM internal desktop read only Blu-ray drive for only $29.99 brand new. Which was ideal for consumers building a low-cost desktop computer. Back in 2016 I purchased one of these brand new low cost $29.99 Blu-ray BD-ROM drives and donated it to a church so that they could play licensed Christian Blu-ray discs, DVD discs, and audio CD’s. There was a top of the line 18 times read only DVD-ROM drive for around $20, but for only $10 more one could add Blu-ray capability to their PC if they just wanted to read optical discs. Fast forward to the year 2020 and one is lucky if they can find a desktop BD-ROM drive for around $70. Gone are the days for mainstream consumers being able to purchase a BD-ROM drive for $29.99, now you need to pay $70-$80 for entry level desktop computer Blu-ray drives. This is one of the reasons some consumers instead are going with the under $20 DVD-ROM drives. Also 99% of the time desktop computers and Notebook computers no longer ship with BD-ROM drives unless one special orders a BD-ROM drive. Back around 2010 to 2016 I could walk into a retail store and many of the high-end desktop and Notebook computers came with a internal BD-ROM drive. Fast forward to 2020 and 99% of the desktop computers only have DVD-ROM type drives and the Notebook computer's have either no optical drive at all since they are so thin and small or they have a DVD-ROM drive internally. My point is the computer industry is going backwards for mainstream consumers and is no longer embracing Blu-ray discs that offer up to 128GB of storage, the 8.5GB DVD discs are good enough for most consumers. Also more people are doing 4K and 1080P streaming with the Netflix app that is part of Windows 10. Which means less of a demand for computer based BD-ROM drives.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 01-15-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #8

Sep 2017
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
The other issue is that because of the security requirements to playback a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc, one needs a special motherboard and CPU with Intel SGX technology and the graphics card is required to be built into the motherboard.
I built a PC to meet the hardware requirements for UHD Blu-ray playback with Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra and have successfully played them using it. The requirements for graphics are different than what you is stated above. A GPU that is built into the motherboard isn't one of the hardware requirements. Instead, the GPU must be one of those integrated into Intel Core-i processors in the Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, and Whiskey Lake processor families. Only the graphics connections are actually on the motherboard. [Edit] ...and the motherboard graphics connections must include either a DisplayPort 1.2 or a HDMI 2.0 port to provide support for HDR10 as well as the bandwidth necessary for UHD Blu-ray video.

I also forgot to mention that Ice Lake Core-i processors can also work for UHD Blu-ray play back.

Last edited by usually_quiet; 01-21-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software