Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.21

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.97

Jumanji: The Next Level 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 02-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #1641
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

I don’t get it. Are displays convex now, instead of concave? Weird

Last edited by gkolb; 02-14-2020 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:33 AM   #1642
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I keep remembering the issues of incorrect transportation practices with large plasma TV's in trucks. The Panasonic 103" from 2 years earlier (2010) was 706 pounds. They also had a 152" 4K plasma" was 1300 pounds. I don't recall these other then CES monster sets, not shipped to consumers?
They were shipped to special buyers and also placed within prominent international airports that serve markets where Panasonic is a well-known brand. In 2010, I encountered one (103-inch, if I recall) of them in Panama, enclosed in a giant cube of glass, but the unit was turned off and seemed to be abandoned, covered in dust and looking a bit worn-out. I remember other Panasonic TVs mounted throughout the waiting areas and used by the airport to display flight information. Ironically, the big thing was located across from a Sony outlet store inside the airport.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #1643

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Samsung's most advanced "QLED" LCD tech is now reserved for its 8K TVs

In 2020, Samsung will start the push towards 8K TVs by removing its most advanced "QLED" LCD technology from 4K TVs.

Last year's Q90R 4K "QLED" LCD TV had approximately 500 dimming zones. The 2020 successor, Q90T, will have around 100 dimming zones. In an LCD TV, the number of dimming zones determine factors such as contrast, luminance control, accuracy, peak brightness and HDR picture quality overall.

In many ways this sums up Samsung's TV strategy for 2020. This year, Samsung 4K TVs will from a picture quality standpoint be less capable than last year's models. If you want the South Korean company's most advanced LCD technology - not just in terms of resolution - you will have to buy an 8K TV.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1581925126
Old 02-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #1644
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Last year's Q90R 4K "QLED" LCD TV had approximately 500 dimming zones. The 2020 successor, Q90T, will have around 100 dimming zones. In an LCD TV, the number of dimming zones determine factors such as contrast, luminance control, accuracy, peak brightness and HDR picture quality overall
You see a lot more of this cheapening if you scan through the Forbes article.

Quote:
I guess we’ll see when the sales figures come in whether the high-end market is ready to go for 8K, or whether not having a really high-end 4K option will prove a costly error.
I understand Samsung being highly motivated, but last year debacle with true 8k resolution has still to show whether they learned their lesson with this years models.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #1645
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Wow, that's pretty shitty on the part of Samsung. I can understand making 'new' features exclusive to the higher end sets, but removing existing standard features also? I hope that instead of opting to pay more, customers see the move and consider looking elsewhere, or buy the old models.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #1646
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
Wow, that's pretty shitty on the part of Samsung. I can understand making 'new' features exclusive to the higher end sets, but removing existing standard features also? I hope that instead of opting to pay more, customers see the move and consider looking elsewhere, or buy the old models.
I don't think this is new trait either. The Q80R used 96 zones , while Q70R used 48 zones. Compare the 2020 changes below. I don't think you want these sets.

Quote:
8k 65-inch Q950TS gets 336 dimming zones. Assuming this proves to be correct, it’s actually down from 480 on last year’s equivalent models.
Quote:
Things get a bit controversial here. The Q90T/Q95T’s apparent zone count of 120 is way down on the 480 found in last year’s equivalent 4K flagship, revealing right away that Samsung has decided not to offer a truly flagship 4K model this year to rival last year’s Q90R.
Quote:
The Q80T is the lowest point in Samsung’s 2020 range where you can still get direct LED lighting with local dimming. The dimming zone count drops to 48, though.
Quote:
The Q70T is the point in Samsung’s 2020 TV range where you lose direct lighting and local dimming, shifting instead to an edge LED system.
Just buy any other brand.

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-17-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (02-18-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #1647
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Sony and LG make 8K TVs too ... OLED.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:16 AM   #1648
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Sony and LG make 8K TVs too ... OLED.
And others. I think we all in favor of TV manufacturers not crippling the HDR performance of 4K sets that compete with their 8K models. This is suppose to be a trickle down technology benefits to promote the acceptance to higher resolution TVs. We still have people not yet migrated to 4k.
Thanks given by:
PaulGo (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 01:35 AM   #1649
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
And others. I think we all in favor of TV manufacturers not crippling the HDR performance of 4K sets that compete with their 8K models. This is suppose to be a trickle down technology benefits to promote the acceptance to higher resolution TVs. We still have people not yet migrated to 4k.
It's all marketing. The average 4K TV has become so cheap manufacturers have a difficult time selling expensive 4K TVs. The only way they can put in features and make a profit is in the 8K TVs. They just need to make certain that the 8K TVs are known as superior.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (02-18-2020), Lee A Stewart (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #1650
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
It's all marketing. The average 4K TV has become so cheap manufacturers have a difficult time selling expensive 4K TVs. The only way they can put in features and make a profit is in the 8K TVs. They just need to make certain that the 8K TVs are known as superior.
There is a opening accessible to them all which is against less then 55" TV's. Just about any 4K TV out there is severely deficient on picture quality and HDR below 55". If the panels are so dirt cheap why is the panel technology so poor. The 48" LG CX OLED is aimed squarely at a marketplace that is dying for a solution, instead of this bigger, high resolution displays is the only direction for this technology to progress into. That is plain lazy marketing from well known TV vendors. Gamers, small residence users want expensive smaller 4K sets that work well, not junk.

Obviously this is a 2nd half of the year model. LG only has the 65" model discussed online.

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-18-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Thanks given by:
PaulGo (02-18-2020), Staying Salty (Yesterday)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #1651

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
There is a opening accessible to them all which is against less then 55" TV's. Just about any 4K TV out there is severely deficient on picture quality and HDR below 55". If the panels are so dirt cheap why is the panel technology so poor. The 48" LG CX OLED is aimed squarely at a marketplace that is dying for a solution, instead of this bigger, high resolution displays is the only direction for this technology to progress into. That is plain lazy marketing from well known TV vendors. Gamers, small residence users want expensive smaller 4K sets that work well, not junk.

Obviously this is a 2nd half of the year model. LG only has the 65" model discussed online.
I believe the 48" OLED is more aimed at those who want a high quality TV at or below the $1000 price point. Something that none of the OLED manufacturers are willing to hit with a 55" model. All other TV OEM's eyes will be on the LG and Sony units to see how popular it will be before they too begin to offer one.

When you set aside convenience, price becomes the number one factor for consumers.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #1652
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

On the smaller size 4K TVS manufacturers can make more money by selling monitors to the gamers. Last year Ipurchased a 32" LG 2K HDR monitor.
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #1653
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
I believe the 48" OLED is more aimed at those who want a high quality TV at or below the $1000 price point. Something that none of the OLED manufacturers are willing to hit with a 55" model. All other TV OEM's eyes will be on the LG and Sony units to see how popular it will be before they too begin to offer one.

When you set aside convenience, price becomes the number one factor for consumers.
I think you're both right. There's a lot of people who don't want TVs 55" or larger, and express their frustration that premium 4K HDR TVs in sub-55" size classes hardly exist. Reasons vary from: it can't comfortably fit in their room, they feel the TV is too big for the intended purpose (like many gamers find it uncomfortable to game on larger screens), they prioritize quality (picture, build, sound...) over size, don't have an infinite budget to work with and will go with a better, smaller set over one that's bigger but provides inferior picture quality, etc.

Between LG and Sony's 48" OLEDs, and Sony's 49" X950H and such, I think it's a wonderful thing that people who are looking for TVs in this size class have more options now, both LCD and OLED.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology