Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Polyester (Blu-ray)
$27.37
8 hrs ago
The Circus (Blu-ray)
$27.37
3 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69
4 hrs ago
Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

The Thin Man (Blu-ray)
$17.97
14 hrs ago
Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$20.67

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Escape Plan: The Extractors (Blu-ray)
$17.96
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #1

Mar 2013
Default How to edit audio files?

I like to listen to anime openings and ending songs on my ipod, and since they are not available on itunes, I have to use a youtube to MP3 site to convert them to mp3. On my computer they all sound fine, but when I put them on my ipod there are some that the volume is so low you can barely hear them. Even turning the volume up in the car barely makes a difference on those songs.

I don't know much about audio, but is it the bit rate the reason they are so quiet? Is there a free audio editing program out there that lets me run these files through and puts them at a higher bit rate or something?

There are also some of the Mp3's that have like 20 seconds of a person's youtube channel of something at the end of the song, would like to know if there is a audio editing program that would let me cut off parts of the song (the final 20 seconds or so of some of these files) and re save it.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #2

Nov 2018
Espoo, Finland

Unfortunately re-encoding an mp3 to a higher bitrate does not increase the volume. It doesn't really do much of anything because the encoding process is unable to magically add something to a heavily compressed audio file which is not there in the first place.

Low volume levels got more to do with the original source file uploaded on Youtube, they were probably not in optimal volume and optimized in high enough quality. Youtube does re-encode every uploaded video as well for optimal streaming performance and even the highest quality output on there isn't soundwise that great compared to proper lossless audio.
Re-encoding the audio streams from the videos again for the xth time to mp3 doesn't really improve things either but it's usually a necessary evil if you want to do something with the audio tracks.

However, you can check whether your mp3s really have a low volume level and should be able to add gain to boost up the volume level.
Audacity is a good and relatively easy-to-use free audio editor for all kinds of audio tweaking and recording.
There is a Gain slider on the left side of the wave form, above the Pan slider, you can use either Gain or under the Effect menu you can find Amplify. The end result of both is practically the same but they work in slightly different ways. The Audacity forums have archived discussions about the differences between the Gain slider and Amplify effect.

Just remember peak amplitude of the final audio track should never exceed 0.0dB or the audio will get clipped and you'll start getting distortion.

You can also cut and paste your audio files on Audacity as you please, remove those youtube channel bits etc. Depending on the case, it might be a good idea to then add a little fade-out (from the Effect menu) at the end of each track to make them end in a more pleasing way instead of suddenly cutting out.

When you're done fiddling with the audio tracks, you can File > Export them in the format of your liking. As said, this further re-encoding doesn't really improve the actual sound quality regardless of what quality of mp3 you choose. Of course, you shouldn't go any lower than your original mp3s are or the end results will probably sound even worse than they did when you started.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2016

Bit rate has nothing to do wilth volume.

Cakewalk by bandlab is free and used to cust hundreds of dollars. Amazing sorftwre. Audacity looks clunky and dated, I'd only consider it if you so not have a Windows machine.

Drag your MP3s on the time line. Move the cursor to where you want to make a cut and hit the s key. The.shortening and moving of the clips is pretty intuitive.

There are different ways to adjust the individual volume of clips. Should be able to Google and find answers on that.

I've recorded Grammy winning artists with the program, it is legitimate.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 AM   #4

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltagejim View Post
I like to listen to anime openings and ending songs on my ipod, and since they are not available on itunes, I have to use a youtube to MP3 site to convert them to mp3. On my computer they all sound fine, but when I put them on my ipod there are some that the volume is so low you can barely hear them. Even turning the volume up in the car barely makes a difference on those songs.

I don't know much about audio, but is it the bit rate the reason they are so quiet? Is there a free audio editing program out there that lets me run these files through and puts them at a higher bit rate or something?

There are also some of the Mp3's that have like 20 seconds of a person's youtube channel of something at the end of the song, would like to know if there is a audio editing program that would let me cut off parts of the song (the final 20 seconds or so of some of these files) and re save it.
What you want is Audacity or Reaper.

I use Audacity for just such things since it's easy.

Just load the song into Audacity and under the "effect" click "amplify" to push the volume up.
You can also reduce the volume if it's been clipped.
You can also do some EQing if it sounds like crap.

Then select the section you want to delete and click delete.
If need be you can fade in and/or out with each track when done.

Last edited by Baron Blood; 06-14-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #5

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78deluxe View Post
Bit rate has nothing to do wilth volume.

Cakewalk by bandlab is free and used to cust hundreds of dollars. Amazing sorftwre. Audacity looks clunky and dated, I'd only consider it if you so not have a Windows machine.

Drag your MP3s on the time line. Move the cursor to where you want to make a cut and hit the s key. The.shortening and moving of the clips is pretty intuitive.

There are different ways to adjust the individual volume of clips. Should be able to Google and find answers on that.

I've recorded Grammy winning artists with the program, it is legitimate.

I had no idea Cakewalk became free.
Cheers!
Old 06-16-2019, 03:19 AM   #6

Mar 2013

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I ended up downloading Audacity the other day after a friend also recommended it for what I wanted to do. Cutting the songs is a piece of cake in the program, but I am a confused on the amplify thing. I selected a song, clicked amplify, and it has a box that says :Amplification db and has 16.03 in it, and then a downward pointing arrow with a box that says "New peak amplitude (db) with 0 in it. Not sure which box I am supposed to change.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #7

Mar 2013

Got it figured out! That Amplify thing worked like a charm, thanks everyone!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion