Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
$24.96
12 hrs ago
Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99
21 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Long Shot (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
War Dogs (Blu-ray)
$4.99
1 hr ago
Logan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #8461
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD7 View Post
Now that I have a permanent home, I think it's time to finally hang some posters up... any recommendations as to how to properly mount frames to a wall?
Simple nail and hammer works. If you need poster frames try the frames from Michaels.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:05 AM   #8462
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Cali
Send a message via AIM to JonD7 Send a message via MSN to JonD7 Send a message via Yahoo to JonD7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
Simple nail and hammer works. If you need poster frames try the frames from Michaels.
I may go this route, I have 3 of them, I thought about stepping up to nicer ones but I need to figure out a way they won't fall during an earthquake, the ones from Michael's fell a few times.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #8463
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD7 View Post
Now that I have a permanent home, I think it's time to finally hang some posters up... any recommendations as to how to properly mount frames to a wall?
There are small packets which consist of a tiny nail and a bracket. You can usually find them anywhere, generally come with about 10 per package. I recommend for 24x36 or 27x40 posters/prints to use two of them to hold the item up properly. For posters smaller than 24x36 one should suffice.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #8464
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Cali
Send a message via AIM to JonD7 Send a message via MSN to JonD7 Send a message via Yahoo to JonD7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
There are small packets which consist of a tiny nail and a bracket. You can usually find them anywhere, generally come with about 10 per package. I recommend for 24x36 or 27x40 posters/prints to use two of them to hold the item up properly. For posters smaller than 24x36 one should suffice.
Thanks! I'll try to look for them.
Thanks given by:
Kinsella5 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #8465
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting.

Maybe this is more directed to Kinsella who has thousands (millions?) of posters, but is there any risk of damage in keeping posters in those polyethylene sleeves over the long term?

I know that plastics over time degrade and leak oils and I'm thinking of poster damage over years of storage in them.
Thanks given by:
IXOYE1989 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #8466
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting.

Maybe this is more directed to Kinsella who has thousands (millions?) of posters, but is there any risk of damage in keeping posters in those polyethylene sleeves over the long term?

I know that plastics over time degrade and leak oils and I'm thinking of poster damage over years of storage in them.
If you are keeping them in a cool dry place I don't think you should have any issues, but it probably doesn't hurt to replace it with fresh plastic sleeves every few years, or longer. I am possibly going to offer those who are interested fresh sleeves, either 30" or 31" in length with a 2.5" or 3" opening (need to figure out what I have on order as I order in large rolls) and then sell them to those who want to put their posters in fresh plastic sleeves. I used to use 2" but I felt for most people that requires them to roll their posters too tight so I think I am using 2.5" opening now.

With comic books the bags and boards are acid-free but still, sometimes they tend to yellow over time (but that could be how people are storing their comics). The poster sleeves aren't acid-free but I think if a person changes them every few years to perhaps five years and keep the posters rolled in a cool dry place they should be ok. Cardboard is more of a concern, as its acidic and can stain over time.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (06-12-2019), IXOYE1989 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #8467
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Thanks for the explanation.

So with older posters -- posters from the 80s (forty years now!) or longer, you don't see any issue with degradation or yellowing?

How about vintage posters from the 30s, 40s, and 50s? Do they not yellow over time or release oils from the paper itself? How do you recommend storing them?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #8468
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:

So with older posters -- posters from the 80s (forty years now!) or longer, you don't see any issue with degradation or yellowing?
I dug this one out for it's 30th anniversary last month (yes, it really did take until May 1989 to come out in the UK!) and it's still in mint condition, with no yellowing at all.

noes4poster.jpg

Last edited by CompleteCount; 06-14-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (06-13-2019), Kinsella5 (06-14-2019), ZombieTwin2 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #8469
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:

How about vintage posters from the 30s, 40s, and 50s? Do they not yellow over time or release oils from the paper itself? How do you recommend storing them?
Its really hard to say, I have some posters from the 80's and have not had any issues with them. If you keep them in the plastic poly tube sleeves, changing them out to fresh plastic is important. There are also acid-free alternatives too, I believe you can check out BagsUnlimited or eGerber who both sell lots of items pertaining to comic book storage and beyond. I have not researched them enough to see if they carry acid-free poly tube sleeves, but if those are out there one of those sites should carry them.

I keep a lot of posters individually rolled and labeled on the outside when it comes to my poster inventory, and for my personal collection which is actually quite small. I then started rolling posters in quantity such as 25 of a certain title together and then wrapping in linen paper and placing in a large boxes made for posters and then I have them labeled on the outside what poster is in the box and how many. That takes up less room for me. So far no issues, but always keep them in a cool dry place.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (06-13-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #8470
Special Member

Oct 2012
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
I dug this one out for it's 30th anniversary last month (yes, it really take until May 1989 to come out in the UK!) and it's still in mint condition, with no yellowing at all.

Attachment 222942
I'd never seen this poster and I must say it is an absolute beauty.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #8471
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCount View Post
I dug this one out for it's 30th anniversary last month (yes, it really take until May 1989 to come out in the UK!) and it's still in mint condition, with no yellowing at all.
British Quad style originals can be quite cool, some times even having completely different artwork than the U.S. domestic style posters. I only have one quad I think left in my collection, I won't part with it, it's the original style for The Crow signed by my friend James O' Barr. It has completely different artwork than any of the other posters done for the film. I still need to get it framed, it's in my inventory somewhere.....
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (06-14-2019), GreatGreg (06-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #8472
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
British Quad style originals can be quite cool, some times even having completely different artwork than the U.S. domestic style posters. I only have one quad I think left in my collection, I won't part with it, it's the original style for The Crow signed by my friend James O' Barr. It has completely different artwork than any of the other posters done for the film. I still need to get it framed, it's in my inventory somewhere.....
UK Quad posters offer a panoramic canvas, and few used it better than Palace Pictures poster artist Graham Humpfreys (see above).

He also did the stunningly gorgeous poster for the original Nightmare on Elm Street, which goes for a fortune now.

eoes.jpg

Oh, and the VERY short-lived London Underground poster of Nightmare on Elm Street 4, which EON Productions really didn't see the funny side of...

freddy bond.jpg

Last edited by CompleteCount; 06-15-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (06-15-2019), ZombieTwin2 (06-15-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion