Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69
4 hrs ago
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.93
8 hrs ago
The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.96
7 hrs ago
One Piece: Episode of East Blue: Luffy and His Four Friends' Great Adventure (Blu-ray)
$25.85
9 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$33.18

Rescue Me: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.45
13 hrs ago
Blindspot: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$8.96
14 hrs ago
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.30

Lost in Space: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Ancient Magus' Bride: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$29.82

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #19661
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjMethod View Post
There were a few points I thought he was done for.

It's just a figure of speech to mean it wasn't believable what he survived through, in terms of the harm done to him in his battle encounters depicted. Think Jackie Chan in a room full of baddies. Except Sam.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4unBO2VSGvs

This is not an ideal example but I thought of it and decided to include it anyway.
They should have had green lasers hitting the kid after showing the TIE fighter.

My problem with that episode wasn't that any of the characters shown were ever shown in situations of sure death and didn't, but that the only ones that they showed still standing late in the episode were the main characters. They should have had some other extras still fighting as well.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #19662
Expert Member

Apr 2014
United States

I wonder when we will see a complete 4K set.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 AM   #19663
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Blu-ray releases on...

December 3, 2019?!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:15 AM   #19664
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

Apparently HBO has pitched The Iron Throne for an Emmy.

Lmao
Old 06-12-2019, 05:21 AM   #19665
Power Member

Feb 2008
socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post

Lmao
They should win for most epic disaster of a final season award.

Most horrible writing for a final season award.

or most cheesy battle scene ever in an epic series award goes to GOT for episode 3 "The Battle of Winterfail"
Thanks given by:
Rantlers (06-15-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #19666
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosHighDef View Post
They should win for most epic disaster of a final season award.

Most horrible writing for a final season award.

or most cheesy battle scene ever in an epic series award goes to GOT for episode 3 "The Battle of Winterfail"
Nah Dexter, Weeds, Shameless, True Blood, The Office, all high profile shows with years of dedicated audiences only to gut their respective shows.

Most of those though ruined their shows for far more seasons, than the last 4 episodes, so I won't put GOT as that bad.

GOT I just classify as unfulfilled and unsatisfying given how often it would satisfy you it wasn't years of depressing gutting of what was a great show like some of the above.

Last edited by supersix4; 06-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #19667

Apr 2015
Cleveland, OH
Send a message via Yahoo to DustnBones001 Send a message via Skype™ to DustnBones001

I hope the show wins the Emmy just to trigger the haters even more lol.
Thanks given by:
jvonl (06-12-2019), Kevinicus (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #19668
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinys Memory View Post
Blu-ray releases on...

December 3, 2019?!
Thats too far. Amazon sent another mail today saying they have no release date yet.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #19669
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Fury Road

I wonder if they’ll put together some fancy editions of the Complete Set come the holidays, or if they’ll stick with classic, slim packaging.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #19670
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post

Lmao
Imagine moaning if(when) it doesn't win. Multitude of foxic fanbase complaints will be in abundance...
Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #19671
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Fury Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustnBones001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvi View Post
Imagine moaning if(when) it doesn't win. Multitude of foxic fanbase complaints will be in abundance...
Oh GOT is going to win a LOT of awards. Don't let the emotionally charged negativity distract you from the fact that this show has operated at its absolute technical prime all season. The score was its best, the acting was its best, the costumes were at their best, the cinematography, the visual effects, all of it was absolutely highest tier—and keep in mind, that is saying something about a show that is already the all-time Emmy award record holder (and by ten).

I'm not sure the writing will win, and "The Iron Throne" was an odd episode to submit given it's basically two disjointed episodes spliced into one, but it could very well be nominated.

I genuinely think the two most controversial episodes are two of the most all-around exceptionally well-made episodes of the series ("The Long Night"; "The Bells").

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

And speaking of the show’s rich technical quality, I’m still discovering little "Easter eggs" weeks later just casually listening through the score (not really Easter eggs, but just new beautiful pieces to appreciate hiding among the wealth of material).

The score to Jorah's and Melisandre's death following the Night King sequence, and the last time we hear Stannis Baratheon's "Warrior of Light" theme in an ominous rendition toward the end:

Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (06-13-2019), ElliesDad (06-12-2019), jvonl (06-12-2019), ritmomundo (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #19672
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Fury Road

Probably Ramin’s darkest track, almost cathartic. It’s almost as if the instruments themselves are weeping from 0:47 until the end.

A fine use of the unique, ominous, and somewhat unsettling sound of the duduk, and a pitch perfect post-apocalyptic rendition of the Stark theme.

Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 AM   #19673
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006

Quote:
Oh GOT is going to win a LOT of awards. Don't let the emotionally charged negativity distract you from the fact that this show has operated at its absolute technical prime all season.
Good for them, and I suppose for you too Although, I sincerely doubt they will win any writing awards, which was the topic of the debates here, not the score or cinematography, or acting, though that could be criticized just fine.
Technical prime, well, coffee cup in the scene, is a very technical detail btw...

Quote:
show that is already the all-time Emmy award record holder (and by ten).
What does that have to do with upcoming awards? GOT was universally praised until S6, and even after S6 most were still positive/hopeful. Not until S8E3 when they crapped all over the show.

P.S. Emotionally charged stuff you could save/direct at GOT diehards getting "unreasonably frustrated" by every critical post and meme
Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #19674
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Fury Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvi View Post
Good for them, and I suppose for you too Although, I sincerely doubt they will win any writing awards, which was the topic of the debates here, not the score or cinematography, or acting, though that could be criticized just fine.
I think you're absolutely right, though I won't be surprised to see it nominated.

(Also, I already said this to address the topic of discussion, but you deleted the sentence in my post you quoted...)

Quote:
Technical prime, well, coffee cup in the scene, is a very technical detail btw...

P.S. Emotionally charged stuff you could save/direct at GOT diehards getting "unreasonably frustrated" by every critical post and meme ;
Thank you for saying "coffee cup" and not "Starbucks cup" like everyone else who gave Starbucks free advertising for no reason. 'Merica!!

And yes, you must have missed my gif in my post you quoted, poking fun at the coffee cup gaffe...

Quote:
What does that have to do with upcoming awards? GOT was universally praised until S6, and even after S6 most were still positive/hopeful. Not until S8E3 when they crapped all over the show.
Again... the information is in my post... Maybe you had a long day? I'd read the sentence again. (then maybe treat yourself to a Starbucks )

My point was everything was at its best this season despite the show already winning all the Emmys for prior seasons. If my claim is that it's at its best (or prime) for a category, that by definition is simultaneously claiming that prior seasons were inferior in said category.

These technically inferior seasons have won Emmys. This is the logical point I was making, based on the claim I made.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #19675

Apr 2015
Cleveland, OH
Send a message via Yahoo to DustnBones001 Send a message via Skype™ to DustnBones001

Quote:
Oh GOT is going to win a LOT of awards. Don't let the emotionally charged negativity distract you from the fact that this show has operated at its absolute technical prime all season. The score was its best, the acting was its best, the costumes were at their best, the cinematography, the visual effects, all of it was absolutely highest tier—and keep in mind, that is saying something about a show that is already the all-time Emmy award record holder (and by ten).

I'm not sure the writing will win, and "The Iron Throne" was an odd episode to submit given it's basically two disjointed episodes spliced into one, but it could very well be nominated.

I genuinely think the two most controversial episodes are two of the most all-around exceptionally well-made episodes of the series ("The Long Night"; "The Bells").

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

And speaking of the show’s rich technical quality, I’m still discovering little "Easter eggs" weeks later just casually listening through the score (not really Easter eggs, but just new beautiful pieces to appreciate hiding among the wealth of material).

The score to Jorah's and Melisandre's death following the Night King sequence, and the last time we hear Stannis Baratheon's "Warrior of Light" theme in an ominous rendition toward the end:

Game of Thrones S8 - Dead Before the Dawn - Ramin Djawadi (Official Video) - YouTube
I just rewatched the final episode again today and it was much better than I remembered. I can see why they submitted it. Personally if it was up to me I would've submitted the second episode. That one to me in my opinion was the best written episode of the season.

You know I'm just going to through this out there no matter how controversial it may be. I think D&D deserve a ton of credit for what they were able to accomplish in 6 episodes. Don't get me wrong I still hate the fact that they decided to rush the final seasons. But when you go back and watch season 8. It's amazing how they were still able to fit a logical ending in such a short amount of time. Granted once again we deserved more than 6 episodes. But I'm just thankful they ended the story on a respectful note.

I really hope it's not to long of a wait for the spinoffs. Despite what the haters think this season was successful where it mattered. And I'm sure there's still plenty of interest for some more exploration of westeroes in spinoffs, etc. And hopefully GRRM will get off his ass and finish the books soon.
Thanks given by:
DjMethod (06-13-2019), idlebrain (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #19676
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Fury Road

Quote:
[Show spoiler]I just rewatched the final episode again today and it was much better than I remembered. I can see why they submitted it. Personally if it was up to me I would've submitted the second episode. That one to me in my opinion was the best written episode of the season.

You know I'm just going to through this out there no matter how controversial it may be. I think D&D deserve a ton of credit for what they were able to accomplish in 6 episodes. Don't get me wrong I still hate the fact that they decided to rush the final seasons. But when you go back and watch season 8. It's amazing how they were still able to fit a logical ending in such a short amount of time. Granted once again we deserved more than 6 episodes. But I'm just thankful they ended the story on a respectful note.

I really hope it's not to long of a wait for the spinoffs. Despite what the haters think this season was successful where it mattered. And I'm sure there's still plenty of interest for some more exploration of westeroes in spinoffs, etc. And hopefully GRRM will get off his ass and finish the books soon.
Completely agree. My thoughts earlier in the thread-
[Show spoiler]

Quote:
Out of everyone I personally speak with about GOT, the only criticism shared by all of us is that it was rushed. D&D’s selfish and bureaucratic decision to prematurely commit to 70 episodes is my biggest issue with the final season. Despite the pacing, however, most of the characters’ endings are clearly well-thought out and tie back tangibly to their core characters, specific events and themes throughout the series, etc.

I personally liked the writing. For a show that slaughters nearly all of the main family of characters by its third season, I don’t see why fans would still have expectations for Bran and Jon that align with main character payoff tropes. And GRRM released an entire book on Targaryen history last November further explaining how consistently crazy and incestual Dany’s fam are, much of which was already an undercurrent throughout the show. We deserved better pacing, perhaps Jon Snow deserved a better ending re his Targaryen ancestry, and we should have seen Cersei’s head crushed like a pancake in the finale, but beyond that, most everything else to me was far from bad writing. I find almost every resolution rewarding and sits well with me, and most of it hit me as quite poignant. Yes, including
[Show spoiler]Bran the Broken being King.

Hoping for "The Long Night" for Best Directing and Gwendoline Christie for Best Supporting.

Emilia Clarke would be wonderful as well but I also think her Jorah-crying came off forced. Dinklage will be nominated (he has every single season), but he's won three times now, so I could see it going to someone else.

Tossing his pin in front of her army though... (I screamed at the TV)

Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #19677
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Fury Road

Quote:
Probably Ramin’s darkest track, almost cathartic. It’s almost as if the instruments themselves are weeping from 0:47 until the end.

A fine use of the unique, ominous, and somewhat unsettling sound of the duduk, and a pitch perfect post-apocalyptic rendition of the Stark theme.

Game of Thrones S8 - Believe - Ramin Djawadi (Official Video) - YouTube
A fitting companion piece to Believe's dreary take on the Stark theme:

And because all is better in three's, here's one last example of a brief but excellent dark turn to the score:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #19678
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosHighDef View Post
lol at 8 seasons of "Winter is coming" "The night is dark and full of terrors"

all for it to be over by some little 95 pound Mary Sue. She had 2 seasons of training smart guy. now she's the most dangerous person in Westeros Ughh no.

The Night King/White Walkers and The Army of the Dead got done DIRTY.

and yes they did it for shock value. They didn't want Jon or Dany to kill the Night King so they had some build up over 2 seasons of some little assassin girl to be the one to do it.GRRM would never finish off the Night King by Arya in the books Guaranteed. Most people didn't like the execution and the horrible battle of no main characters dying.
My problems with The Long Night were:
  • The episode is excessively dark with respect to lighting.
  • Dothraki charging into the night was poor strategy and no rational commander would ever deliver that order in the dead of night with swords ablaze, even when facing a human army. May as well just paint targets on yourselves.
  • Everybody's "Let's go to the crypt to hide!" should have been something Jon Snow adamantly fought against given what happened in Hardhome.
  • Basically everything Jon and Daenerys did was silly and nearly pointless.
  • I wanted the White Walkers to fight again. Didn't get anything.
  • I wanted the Night King to fight. Didn't get anything.
  • I wanted some more answers about the Night King, White Walkers, Army of the Dead, the point, the purpose, the interactions with Children of the Forest....anything. What is behind all the Winter?
  • Bran warging was clearly pointless, because we see exactly zero of what he saw, we don't know what he planned, and we don't know much of anything about his interactions with the Night King.

My biggest gripe of all:
  • The "Kill the leader and the minions die/explode/disapparate" trope after Arya stabs the Night King. How utterly convenient for our heroes. I really wish that at least the White Walkers hadn't fallen victim to such a sudden and convenient end, assuming the army of the dead had to fall victim to it to ensure at least some of Winterfell lived.

Not on my list of gripes at all:
  • Arya's actions during The Long Night.
Thanks given by:
MosHighDef (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #19679
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #19680
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
The O.C.

Quote:
The Emmys are trash so GoT winning would validate everyones opinion of them even more.
Thanks given by:
Rantlers (06-15-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows