Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Captain America: Civil War + Doctor Strange + Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 + Spider-Man: Homecoming + Thor: Ragnarok (Blu-ray)
€39.99

Iron Man 3 + Thor: The Dark World + Captain America: The Winter Soldier + Guardians of the Galaxy + Avengers: Age of Ultron + Ant-Man (Blu-ray)
€39.99

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.99

John Wick Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
€25.55

Aladdin (Blu-ray)
€19.99

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
€19.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
€33.67

Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague (Blu-ray)
€9.99

How to Train Your Dragon: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
€19.99

The X-Files: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€95.09
1 hr ago
Iron Man + Incredible Hulk, The + Iron Man 2 + Thor + Captain America: The First Avenger + Avengers (Blu-ray)
€49.99

Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
Power Member

May 2013
Default The Death and Life of John F. Donovan (2018) Released September 4, 2019

The Death and Life of John F. Donovan is out on Blu Ray in September in France.

The film is in English - will be interesting to see if the French subtitles are removable.

https://www.amazon.fr/vie-avec-John-...9&s=dvd&sr=1-3
Old 07-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #2

Apr 2010
London England

I absolutely adored this movie and wanted to go straight back in to see it again as soon as it ended. I was upset to see the release date of the Blu Ray has been pushed back.
I have yet to get any Blu Ray in France that doesn't have a choice of languages and subtitle options. I mean even foreign language series and films on television give you the option of original language and with or without subtitles!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb2010 View Post
I absolutely adored this movie and wanted to go straight back in to see it again as soon as it ended. I was upset to see the release date of the Blu Ray has been pushed back.
I have yet to get any Blu Ray in France that doesn't have a choice of languages and subtitle options. I mean even foreign language series and films on television give you the option of original language and with or without subtitles!
The release date of the French BD was pushed back after the Quebecois theatrical release was announced a few weeks back, I suspect they didn't want it available on BD in France and easily available before it was in theaters in Canada in August.

I have the French BD preordered, but I may switch to a Canadian BD if they announce one, since so many French BDs have forced subs.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

May 2013
France

Hi.
The french bd is going to b release by TF1 vido, that mean you have 99% chance of forced subs.

Last edited by dreamon-86; 07-14-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (07-13-2019), James Luckard (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #5

Apr 2010
London England

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamon-86 View Post
Hi.
The french bd is going to b release by TF1 vido, that mean you have 99% chance of forced subs.
Again I say I've not had one single French HD release with forced subtitles in the past five years, and that includes older films. Every Blu Ray has alternative languages and subtitle options including off. DVDs are different of course. But like the tv broadcasts in France, subtitles are available on nearly everything Not English of course but French for deaf and hard of hearing - or to help those whose French can't get the accent on occasion - like me. Ever try understanding a fast talking Marseilles person? Even northerners have trouble with that!
Old 07-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

Aug 2018

It's been pretty much legally enforced for a few years now for French-speaking movies video releases to contain French SDH subs.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

Apr 2010
London England

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul2 View Post
It's been pretty much legally enforced for a few years now for French-speaking movies video releases to contain French SDH subs.
Not legally, but peer pressure has done the job, and with Blu rays it's so simple to do, as well as the language options.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Power Member

May 2013

A couple of sellers have this for sale on eBay. Both ads indicate that the French subtitles are 'fixed in', though I will be very interest what anyone here has to say should they obtain the disc.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

Apr 2010
London England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
A couple of sellers have this for sale on eBay. Both ads indicate that the French subtitles are 'fixed in', though I will be very interest what anyone here has to say should they obtain the disc.
Just taken delivery of my Blu Ray, French release. It has French version, and English language version with French subtitles. I couldn't take them off but was easily able to move them down and off screen, but my equipment is very clever! Panasonic Blu Ray recorder/player + Panasonic Smart tv.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (09-06-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #10

Apr 2010
London England

AND I still adore the film.
Looking forward to Xavier Dolan's new movie, 'Matthias et Maxime' expected next week in France.
He's also the guy who's the victim of a gay bashing at the start of a Chapitre 2.
Gets everywhere and only 30! Hard to believe 'Tom on the Farm' was a decade ago!

Last edited by ptb2010; 10-03-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France