Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
16 hrs ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
16 hrs ago
Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
16 hrs ago
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
13 hrs ago
The Man from the Alamo / They Came to Cordura (Blu-ray)
$11.99
16 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dance, Girl, Dance (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

do you set DW to Sanitize???....
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #42

Apr 2009
Juliette, GA

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond with what I use.

For LPs and 45s I use Sparkle Window Cleaner and for 78s I use VWR Scientific's Labtone. Sparkle was originally formulated to clean the plexiglass on WWII B-29 gunner sights. It doesn't contain any alcohol or ammonia, unlike standard formula Windex. I haven't found anything that works better, including record cleaning solutions. The Labtone cleaner is used to clean laboratory glassware. It contains enzymes and is formulated to not leave any residue.

I use both solutions with my DIY vacuum record cleaning machine, that is built around the VPI 16.5 RCM vacuum wand. I apply the cleaning solution, then use square cotton makeup pads to remove the liquid and dirt. Once the pads come back clean (some LPs and most 78s require multiple applications of cleaner), I vacuum, then rinse with distilled water, then vacuum again.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #43
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
For LPs and 45s I use Sparkle Window Cleaner
Old 06-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #44

Apr 2009
Juliette, GA
Default Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Would you care to elaborate?
The active ingredient in Sparkle is 2-Butoxyethanol (ethylene glycol). I did research and found it is considered safe to use on both polyvinyl chloride and polystyrene. See: https://www.calpaclab.com/pvc-polyvi...ibility-chart/.

The results showed tests with exposure to the chemicals for 48 hours. When I use it, I immediately rinse with several flushes of distilled water, which is vacuum removed.

Lots of folks recommend Dawn dishwashing soap. I think it is OK, but one of the active ingredients of Dawn is a small amount of sulphuric acid.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #45
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate?
The active ingredient in Sparkle is 2-Butoxyethanol (ethylene glycol). I did research and found it is considered safe to use on both polyvinyl chloride and polystyrene. See: https://www.calpaclab.com/pvc-polyvi...ibility-chart/.

The results showed tests with exposure to the chemicals for 48 hours. When I use it, I immediately rinse with several flushes of distilled water, which is vacuum removed.

Lots of folks recommend Dawn dishwashing soap. I think it is OK, but one of the active ingredients of Dawn is a small amount of sulphuric acid.
All I can say is that I, PERSONALLY, would NEVER use Windex of any variant on my vinyl. Dawn, whether it has a dash of sulphuric elements or not, is something entirely different when we're talking about treating vinyl records (styrene 45s notwithstanding; this is another discussion for another time).
Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #46

Apr 2009
Juliette, GA
Default Sparkle vs Windex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
All I can say is that I, PERSONALLY, would NEVER use Windex of any variant on my vinyl.
I understand your concern regarding Windex, especially the classic formula with ammonia.

However, compare the ingredient list of Sparkle to Windex and you'll see the Sparkle is not a variant of Windex, it's a completely different cleaner.

The Library of Congress recommends formulating a Tergitol based cleaner, but I've never tried it.

Of course, you are welcome to your opinion, but I based my choice after some fairly extensive research regarding the chemical properties of different products and their compatibility with the materials to be cleaned.

Last edited by DougMac; 06-22-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #47
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond with what I use.

For LPs and 45s I use Sparkle Window Cleaner and for 78s I use VWR Scientific's Labtone. Sparkle was originally formulated to clean the plexiglass on WWII B-29 gunner sights. It doesn't contain any alcohol or ammonia, unlike standard formula Windex. I haven't found anything that works better, including record cleaning solutions. The Labtone cleaner is used to clean laboratory glassware. It contains enzymes and is formulated to not leave any residue.

I use both solutions with my DIY vacuum record cleaning machine, that is built around the VPI 16.5 RCM vacuum wand. I apply the cleaning solution, then use square cotton makeup pads to remove the liquid and dirt. Once the pads come back clean (some LPs and most 78s require multiple applications of cleaner), I vacuum, then rinse with distilled water, then vacuum again.
This isn't really an old thread ..................

As you will see new owners and old of vinyl playback systems looking for a good way to keep their investments up to snuff .

And there's always new products hitting the market .....................
Old 02-07-2020, 04:08 AM   #48

Jan 2020
United States

My process of cleaning vinyl...

First thing I do is wipe both sides with a record brush. Then, place it on a microfiber towel, spray it lightly with Groovewasher G2 solution and brush it with a Mobile Fidelity cleaning brush. Then dry of with another microfiber towel and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music