Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
38 min ago
Idle Hands (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 hr ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
16 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
18 hrs ago
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$49.99
38 min ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
 
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Fantasy Island (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #261
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeving View Post
It's one thing I've had to get used to with my new TT (VPI Traveler). I have had a record on for an extended period of time still spinning.

One thing to think about is that since there isn't any audio in the groove that it doesn't do much to the stylus.
Exactly. It won't damage the stylus at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #262
victorvondoom88 victorvondoom88 is offline
Expert Member
 
victorvondoom88's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.
26
9
619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeving View Post
It's one thing I've had to get used to with my new TT (VPI Traveler). I have had a record on for an extended period of time still spinning.

One thing to think about is that since there isn't any audio in the groove that it doesn't do much to the stylus.
I found a product called the Q UP while I was researching and I think I'll be adding it to my TT when I get it. Just for peace of mind.
http://www.thequp.com/

Well I finally pulled the trigger on vinyl! I just picked up 11 LP's today & I ordered my TT & a couple more LP's a few minutes ago! I went with the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 , after much debate with myself I decided it was the best fit for me. Won't have it until the 5th but right now my daughter & I are still geeking out at the LP's we just nabbed.

I googled used record store for a goof after we watched the avengers and I found & old school record shop that has a massive vinyl section both new & used.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #263
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
They will definitely ruin your vinyl and likely your cassettes as well.

If you want to protect your media stay away from these types of products.


Oh man Johnny! You are breaking my heart! My wife JUST bought me a little Crosley Cruiser turn table for Father's Day. I connected it to my Polk Audio home theater and, to my ears at least, it sounds pretty good. However I am GREATLY concerned about what you're saying in terms of it ruining my albums. I certainly don't want that to happen. Without hurting my wife's feelings, is there any kind of modifications I can make to the player that will at least ensure my records aren't getting ruined???? I sure as hell don't want to have to approach her and tell her my Father's Day gift is a cheap piece of crap this will ruin our albums!

Also, if it's any consolation, I did make sure that I leveled the player and I never attempt to sit the arm down or lift it manually. I also do not use the internal speakers. I always keep them turned down at their lowest.

What I don't get is if this is true about these turn tables ruining albums, how can they be allowed to sell these products? You'd think there would be some kind of minimal standard in place that would prevent such damaging products from being on the market. I mean, yes I expect some turn tables to sound better than others but not any that would actually ruin your records simply by using it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #264
KingBlu404 KingBlu404 is offline
Active Member
 
KingBlu404's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Atlanta
1
280
23
2
1
Send a message via Yahoo to KingBlu404
Default

U turn audio makes a great turntable starting at 179$ I would check them out if you're getting into the game
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #265
Snowmaker Snowmaker is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Snowmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Michigan
15
572
222
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlu404 View Post
U turn audio makes a great turntable starting at 179$ I would check them out if you're getting into the game
I was looking at those. Not sure I want to go with a start-up company vs. one that's been in the turntable business for decades..

Being that the list on the original post is over 5 years old, are there any that should be added?

I'm just starting to research what kind of turntable I should get (haven't had one since I was a kid) and I have no idea where to start. I'm looking at the $300-350 range.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #266
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
455
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
I was looking at those. Not sure I want to go with a start-up company vs. one that's been in the turntable business for decades..

Being that the list on the original post is over 5 years old, are there any that should be added?

I'm just starting to research what kind of turntable I should get (haven't had one since I was a kid) and I have no idea where to start. I'm looking at the $300-350 range.
If you could stretch your budget just a wee bit .............................



http://www.musicdirect.com/p-283567-...turntable.aspx

This seems like a heck of a sale

Then there's these.........................



http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7298-mu...turntable.aspx



http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7623-pr...turntable.aspx

Last edited by DangeRuss; 03-29-2016 at 09:11 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #267
Spire Spire is offline
Expert Member
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
18
648
33
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
If you could stretch your budget just a wee bit .............................



http://www.musicdirect.com/p-283567-...turntable.aspx

This seems like a heck of a sale
Interesting looking table. I recently bought a Debut Carbon Esprit SB, and while im mostly pleased with it I am a sucker for a sale, so it makes me wonder about that MF.

I feel like I tend to buy good things for the price, so when its time to upgrade I'm looking at that much more of a jump, if you know what I mean. Got the Pro-ject for $466
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #268
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
455
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Interesting looking table. I recently bought a Debut Carbon Esprit SB, and while im mostly pleased with it I am a sucker for a sale, so it makes me wonder about that MF.

I feel like I tend to buy good things for the price, so when its time to upgrade I'm looking at that much more of a jump, if you know what I mean. Got the Pro-ject for $466
It's also available like this ............



But how large of a jump would you like to make ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #269
Spire Spire is offline
Expert Member
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
18
648
33
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
But how large of a jump would you like to make ?
Right now? None. I've only had my Pro-ject for 2-3 months. In maybe a couple years I figured I'd shop around the $1500 range, or build my own. And thats a surprisingly entry level cartridge on that Musical Fidelity, i'm noticing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #270
yanquiuxo yanquiuxo is offline
Active Member
 
yanquiuxo's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Woodland Hills, CA
342
11
3
Default

The roundtable is actually manufactured by Pro-Ject and re-branded as a Musical Fidelity, and some (including myself) will argue that it isn't even worth the $400, right down to the $40 cartridge it comes fitted with. The fact that they have the audacity to slap a $1k MSRP is absurd IMO.

You'd actually be better off saving $100 and go with a Debut III.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #271
yanquiuxo yanquiuxo is offline
Active Member
 
yanquiuxo's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Woodland Hills, CA
342
11
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
I was looking at those. Not sure I want to go with a start-up company vs. one that's been in the turntable business for decades..

Being that the list on the original post is over 5 years old, are there any that should be added?

I'm just starting to research what kind of turntable I should get (haven't had one since I was a kid) and I have no idea where to start. I'm looking at the $300-350 range.
Everything worthwhile has already been said, for that price the Music Hall MMF2.2 or a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (if you can catch it on a good sale price or find a deal on an open box unit) are going to be the most realiable and commonly recommended choices.

Now if you decided to broaden your search and seek out a good condition vintage table...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #272
BizCat BizCat is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
BizCat's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
oHIo
376
2107
81
143
Default

Hello!

I'm pursuing my first turntable purchase. I am a total beginner at this so I don't know a ton. I'll just be a casual listener for now. Just want something to set up in my basement and listen to every now and then with some friends. Not looking to spend much.

I've read good things about Audio Technica. Anyone experience these before?

Here's one I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-L...udio+technical

I know not to get Crosley, lol. I don't need built in radio or CD or whatever.

I just need pointed in the right direction - and told what else I need to buy in addition to the turntable.

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #273
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
230
455
354
74
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizCat View Post
Hello!

I'm pursuing my first turntable purchase. I am a total beginner at this so I don't know a ton. I'll just be a casual listener for now. Just want something to set up in my basement and listen to every now and then with some friends. Not looking to spend much.

I've read good things about Audio Technica. Anyone experience these before?

Here's one I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-L...udio+technical

I know not to get Crosley, lol. I don't need built in radio or CD or whatever.

I just need pointed in the right direction - and told what else I need to buy in addition to the turntable.

Thanks!
Before I answer ........................... I'd like to know what the rest of your system consisted of ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #274
Shawn Elestren Shawn Elestren is offline
Power Member
 
Shawn Elestren's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
40
370
15
1
282
Default

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 AM.