Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
6 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
22 hrs ago
Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49
5 hrs ago
Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49
11 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Dodsworth (Blu-ray)
$17.99
7 hrs ago
Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 hr ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 06-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #41
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post
The law would be a joke. Nobody would arrest someone for eating a Snickers.
I once got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt and when I politely questioned the legitimacy of the law, the cop justified it by citing statistics that supposedly showed that not wearing seatbelts had a significant impact on the cost of health care—more people going to emergency rooms with serious injuries and what not.

So I asked him why he wasn’t standing in front of a McDonalds, handing out tickets to people who eat food that’s directly related to the rising rates of heart disease, obesity and diabetes. Don’t those things affect the cost of health care more than seatbelts?

...he didn’t really have an answer for that.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #42
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I once got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt and when I politely questioned the legitimacy of the law, the cop justified it by citing statistics that supposedly showed that not wearing seatbelts had a significant impact on the cost of health careómore people going to emergency rooms with serious injuries and what not.

So I asked him why he wasnít standing in front of a McDonalds, handing out tickets to people who eat food thatís directly related to the rising rates of heart disease, obesity and diabetes. Donít those things affect the cost of health care more than seatbelts?

...he didnít really have an answer for that.
You could say the same about DIY or home cooking.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2012
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
How funny. This was my last year's birthday dinner -- minus the cigar and the whisky. Greatest meal I've ever had.

I love working out, it gives me the chance to eat whatever I want once a week without putting a single pound of fat.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #44
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

I would go to war for my right to eat what I want.
Thanks given by:
sk33tr (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #45

Jun 2019
Texas

I see a movie in this and I would be the leader of an underground movement supplying tacos to the masses lol
Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #46
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I once got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt and when I politely questioned the legitimacy of the law, the cop justified it by citing statistics that supposedly showed that not wearing seatbelts had a significant impact on the cost of health careómore people going to emergency rooms with serious injuries and what not.

So I asked him why he wasnít standing in front of a McDonalds, handing out tickets to people who eat food thatís directly related to the rising rates of heart disease, obesity and diabetes. Donít those things affect the cost of health care more than seatbelts?

...he didnít really have an answer for that.
The police officer shouldn't have to answer that question nor the first question. Not wearing seatbelt while driving IS breaking the law. Eating fast food is not . . . not yet.

Police enforces the application of law, not create them. That sounds like a cop-out but that's the job.

Some laws are created to protect those who would not do so otherwise (whether willingly or without knowledge).

We all have the choice and will power, WITHOUT the law, to wear seat belt, eat healthy, not smoke, not drink, not abuse, not use violence, not rape, seek truth, etc. Yet humanity continues to give in to physical, emotional, and sexual urges against our better judgements. Worse yet, some feel empowered and entitled to hurt/abuse others because of their wealth, power, and social/religious position.

That sounds lecture-y so I'm going to stop and get back to the topic.

Lobbyists would easily (given current state) bribe/buy senators and other regulation agencies to label healthy foods as 'unhealthy'. Not convinced? Just take tobacco, sugar, corn syrup, alcohol, guns, pesticides etc.

I'm just going to stop.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by joh1962 View Post
I see a movie in this and I would be the leader of an underground movement supplying tacos to the masses lol
Old 06-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #48

Jun 2019
Texas

@sk33tr Ha! Touchť \m/
Thanks given by:
sk33tr (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by joh1962 View Post
@sk33tr Ha! Touchť \m/
when i first read your post, i immediately thought of that movie, lol
Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #50
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

If prohibition brought bootleggers....
Old 06-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post
The law would be a joke. Nobody would arrest someone for eating a Snickers.
Well, no, because the law as proposed by the OP would mean there would be no Snickers for someone to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7q3 View Post
If the U.S. outlawed unhealthy food, what do you think would happen?

This means, any food with low or no nutritional value, would be against the law. So basically, practically everything outside of the produce aisle (fruits, vegetables, etc) would be against the law.

This means candy bars, potato chips, soda, etc, would be outlawed. It means all restaurants and fast food places would have to serve nutritional food only, or be shut down. Now obviously... a lot of people would be mad. I think that would be an understatement, since most people like and eat foods that aren't exactly of the highest nutritional value.

I think this is good idea, but I can't see most people willing to go along with it for the the long-term. The problem is this: most people don't eat healthy food only. They wouldn't want to give up their junk food, even though they are already aware it causes poor health.

What are your thoughts? What impact do you think this law would have on American society? How would people react?
Ingredients are food. The basis of your proposal, outlawing food with no or low nutritional value would mean many ingredients would be prohibited, which would impact on the production of many other foods, foods which are not unhealthily. Taxation, not prohibition, would be a more realistic and workable approach.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage