Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Trek Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
6 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
23 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
48 min ago
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Idle Hands (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Blu-ray)
$12.96

Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 03-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Banned

May 2016
Default Anyone Hear the Legacy 180-Gram Reissue of Journey's Greatest Hits?

Been wanting to pick this up for a long time, ever since it was announced; after being very pleased with Legacy's reissue of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue on 180-gram vinyl (which makes my system sound phenomenal, especially considering it's on vinyl), I was under the assumption that the Columbia/Sony reissue division would knock another one out of the park with Journey's Greatest Hits...after buying the two-LP reissue at a local Fry's yesterday, the results were...well...a bit different.

First, let me state that I own this album on the original vinyl LP (bought brand new when it came out in the late 80s) as well as on Columbia's original CD release (kind of flat-sounding but not as bad as many first-generation CDs). The original LP, because of how many tracks they attempted to pack onto one record, was horrifically crammed in terms of the grooves, yielding severe inner groove distortion towards the end of both sides. To rectify this, Legacy split this album up into two 180-gram LPs, adding a bonus track after "Be Good to Yourself" at the very end, to boot (the often forgotten-about "When You Love a Woman") -- however, with all the hoopla surrounding this vinyl reissue, with stickers on the jacket that claim it was "Specifically Remastered for Vinyl" (and rumors suggesting Steve Perry and the band supervised the remastering project in the studio so that it would sound great on the vinyl medium), the resulting sound just wasn't up to my liking when I played the two LPs yesterday...most of Perry's vocals were shrill and sibilant (some songs were far worse than others; the end-of-sides tracks were still riddled with inner groove distortion, especially on songs like "Faithfully" and the aforementioned "When You Love a Woman").

When playing some of the CD after the new LP release, it was clear to me that the digital manifestation of the album is the better one; this is disappointing, because we paid $30 for this two-LP set and Legacy did cut a REALLY nice thick slab of vinyl for each record (like with the Kind of Blue reissue)...the overall package is beautiful, with original red cover artwork and all. The sound just left me hollow and disappointed, and I'm beginning to wonder if this "180-gram" craze is little more than a marketing gimmick (a 180-gram reissue of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack we purchased also doesn't sound as good as the 1977 original release). I understand that this can all be a matter of who engineered the albums, the cutting process, the condition of my stylus and quality of playback gear, etc., but this just didn't sound all that great...

Has anyone else heard or bought this Legacy reissue of Journey's Greatest Hits? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Old 08-02-2019, 12:51 AM   #2

Jul 2019
Zambia
Send a message via ICQ to ShermanHosib Send a message via AIM to ShermanHosib Send a message via Yahoo to ShermanHosib Send a message via Skype™ to ShermanHosib
Default Anyone Hear the Legacy 180 Gram Reissue of Journeys Greatest Hits

Purchased a home wireless music system last year Bluesound....works very well..very happy with it. Finished up ripping my CD collection into it and going to start ripping my LP collection. Been looking at vinyl ripping software and Vinyl Studio seems to fit the bill. Going to be converting to FLAC files.
Just wondering if anyone here is using it and if so how is it working out?

thanks
A vinyl ripping newbie in Michigan
Old 08-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Banned

May 2016

I think this is spam, mods...^^^
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music