Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Wildlife (Blu-ray)
$29.49
9 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
16 hrs ago
Scorsese Shorts (Blu-ray)
$36.64
12 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 07-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Default Does giving up fast food get any easier with time?

I'm trying to give up fast food because my doctor told that I have to. Despite being only 34 and only weighing 145 lbs (I'm 5'10" in height), I have high cholesterol. I've given it up for over three weeks already and it's still driving me crazy. The cravings can be downright unbearable at times and it seems to be getting harder rather than easier as I let time pass.

For those of you out there that have given up junk food, has it gotten easier for you with time? Or is this a temptation that you have to keep fighting for the rest of your life?
Old 07-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

Feb 2017

It does get better over time. I no longer crave french fries for example.

I just keep it in moderation. And by that I mean maybe once a week I have a burger, no fries, and no soda. I think you have to keep reminding yourself the benefit of staying away from fast food. Trust me. You may be relatively OK now, but in another 10 years you will have serious issues with high blood pressure and blood sugar in addition to cholesterol if you keep eating junk food. The main issue is the sugars and salt in fast food. But, generally, processed food is really bad for you with all the other preservatives and things in it.

Also, it helps to try to be creative with cooking at home so that you can make things that are very tasty that is made from food that is not heavily processed. You can really make your own burger and fries at home, but do it in a way that is more healthy. Same thing with pizza and tacos. If you make it yourself you can be selective with what you put into it and how you prepare it so it's not as bad as buying junk from a fast food place.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

The healthier you eat, the more you will be craving healthy food instead. Really.

American food manufacturers know that greasy, salty or overly sugary food can create addictions quickly. They know it and exploit it for financial gain. Your body will eventually be much better off without them, but try to focus on gradual progress and not on going cold turkey (no pun intended)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

it does

i used to drink nothing but dr pepper. i'd drink about 12 of the 20-24oz sizes a day. one day, i decided to just stop. for the first 3 days, it was absolute hell. i had a constant headache (migraine) and i was in such a bad mood all the time. about the 4th day, the headache started to weaken and i was feeling a bit better. on day 7, i was fine; no more headache, i felt better, i wasn't grumpy, etc.

i also stopped eating as much fast food as i used to. and i started feeling better. i didn't eat as much fast food as i drank dr pepper; but it was about 2-3 times a week. i stopped that cold turkey, as well. but it wasn't as bad as with the dr pepper since the other times i was eating home-cooked meals. now, i'll have maybe 1 dr pepper a week (sometimes just once every 2 weeks) and i might eat fast food twice in a month...most times maybe even just once.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Another problem with junk food is that it keeps making you feel hungrier than you really are, or more accurately, making you crave more food than your body really needs.

Any time you give your body more food it needs on an extended basis, it's really bad for the metabolism. Ideally you should consume almost exactly the same amount of calories as your body burns every day, but it's also about the type of calories - protein and whole grain make you feel fuller than carbs and lots of sugar.

The most important things for your body are proper amounts of water (sodas don't count!), protein, fiber and whole grains. Most of the other stuff it can do without, or will barely miss.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
it does

i used to drink nothing but dr pepper. i'd drink about 12 of the 20-24oz sizes a day. one day, i decided to just stop. for the first 3 days, it was absolute hell. i had a constant headache (migraine) and i was in such a bad mood all the time. about the 4th day, the headache started to weaken and i was feeling a bit better. on day 7, i was fine; no more headache, i felt better, i wasn't grumpy, etc.

i also stopped eating as much fast food as i used to. and i started feeling better. i didn't eat as much fast food as i drank dr pepper; but it was about 2-3 times a week. i stopped that cold turkey, as well. but it wasn't as bad as with the dr pepper since the other times i was eating home-cooked meals. now, i'll have maybe 1 dr pepper a week (sometimes just once every 2 weeks) and i might eat fast food twice in a month...most times maybe even just once.
Wow
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (10-16-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrex View Post
Wow
exactly!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I'm trying to give up fast food because my doctor told that I have to. Despite being only 34 and only weighing 145 lbs (I'm 5'10" in height), I have high cholesterol. I've given it up for over three weeks already and it's still driving me crazy. The cravings can be downright unbearable at times and it seems to be getting harder rather than easier as I let time pass.

For those of you out there that have given up junk food, has it gotten easier for you with time? Or is this a temptation that you have to keep fighting for the rest of your life?
I would recommend exploring recipes of healthier versions of your favourites that you can make at home.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
The healthier you eat, the more you will be craving healthy food instead. Really.

American food manufacturers know that greasy, salty or overly sugary food can create addictions quickly. They know it and exploit it for financial gain. Your body will eventually be much better off without them, but try to focus on gradual progress and not on going cold turkey (no pun intended)
Wish I could think that way, no way is my taste pallet ever going to put anything healthy over that of a nice 5 guys double bacon burger and fry!
Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Yes. Just don't put yourself in temptation's way.
Thanks given by:
Himmel (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Nottingham, United Kingdom

It just becomes a way of life really. And if you're eating well enough then you shouldn't have any cravings
Old 09-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #12

Jan 2015

What's your favorite fast food chain op?
Old 09-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Wish I could think that way, no way is my taste pallet ever going to put anything healthy over that of a nice 5 guys double bacon burger and fry!
You say that jokingly - I hope - but the truth is that if you get used to a healthy diet and fully understand why your body is better off eating healthy, you wouldn't dream of going near 5 guys, much less eat anything they have to offer.

The human body truly doesn't need that kind of food. The craving is purely psychological. Such a diet really doesn't help you and could even lead to dying prematurely.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
In the U.S.A.

I went from eating at fast food restaurants every day to maybe once a month [if that] (including pizza). The last time I had BK or McDonald's I was in the crapper immediately after consuming it, not sure if that's an indication of my body telling me I don't need that Whopper or Big Mac or an indication that the particular location I went to is bad. Either way, I haven't been back since and it's going on 3 months (but I won't give up Blizzards from DQ, dessert's okay in moderation right?)
Old 09-23-2019, 03:32 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

I have a lot of sympathy for obese people who were born with a genetic predisposition towards obesity.

I have no sympathy for obese people who eat fast food on a regular basis.

...frankly they disgust me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage