Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sony - Colección 20 Películas (Blu-ray)
€51.99

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Blu-ray)
€9.99
5 hrs ago
Mask (Blu-ray)
€9.95

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
€9.90

Adiós (Blu-ray)
€14.95

The Florida Project (Blu-ray)
€8.30

Collateral (Blu-ray)
€9.95
4 hrs ago
The Angry Birds Movie 2 (Blu-ray)
€11.99

Parásitos (Blu-ray)
€15.99

Lina Morgan (Blu-ray)
€23.97

A Serious Man (Blu-ray)
€9.95

Toy Story 4 (Blu-ray)
€12.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Spanish

Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 AM   #101
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Spanish - None

German - It has an interview with Edward Hardwicke and five audio commentaries
And those are are also on the US set?

In another thread here I read the US set is ten discs and the German is 14 - is there a big difference in video and audio quality because of this? Or are the extra discs simply to justify charging a higher price? The show is old - does it really need 14 discs?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Spanish - None

German - It has an interview with Edward Hardwicke and five audio commentaries

US - Same as above but with a few extra features (Interview with Adrian Conan Doyle, Daytime Live, Sherlock Musuem Short, Vintage Series Promos)
Thank you.

I read in another thread that the US has 10 discs and the German has 14.

Is there any major difference in video or audio quality between the two?

EDIT: I could swear I posted a similar question here already.

Is there really a need for that many blu-rays for an old show

EDIT: Sorry for multiple posts with the same questions. I was very tired.

Last edited by ManOfTheForest; 05-10-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #103
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfTheForest View Post
Thank you.

I read in another thread that the US has 10 discs and the German has 14.

Is there any major difference in video or audio quality between the two?

EDIT: I could swear I posted a similar question here already.

Is there really a need for that many blu-rays for an old show

EDIT: Sorry for multiple posts with the same questions. I was very tired.
Supposedly the German has better PQ than the Spanish. With fewer disks the Spanish is more compressed.

There were 37 episodes around 52 minutes long and 4 episodes around 105 minutes, so you do need a lot of disks to spread them out.

If you are in Europe the German set is the one to go for as US is more expensive and tax to pay on import.
Thanks given by:
ManOfTheForest (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #104
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
Supposedly the German has better PQ than the Spanish. With fewer disks the Spanish is more compressed.

There were 37 episodes around 52 minutes long and 4 episodes around 105 minutes, so you do need a lot of disks to spread them out.

If you are in Europe the German set is the one to go for as US is more expensive and tax to pay on import.
Thanks for the information and the recommendation. I had not considered tax - back in the days of DVD I never got hit for that on my US imports.

In regards to the number of discs (and I know next to nothing of the technical side of blu-ray so don't laugh if I'm being thick here :P), the UK DVD set was 16 discs - I would have expected the storage capacity of Blu-ray Discs to signifcantly reduce the number of discs needed for a set. Or have the episodes been remastered or something?

Last edited by ManOfTheForest; 05-10-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #105
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Remember a BD disk although having more capacity than a DVD needs more space as HD content takes up more space than the SD from a DVD. More resolution etc. means it needs more data to be saved.

Normally something like 4 hours of HD content depending upon amount of movement (moving needs more data than a static picture) is okay on a single dual layer 50gb BD.
The Spanish release of Brett’s Adventures of Sherlock Holmes for example crammed 13 episodes 7 + 6 onto 2 BDs so one had over 6 hours of content. That is getting up to the maximum you would want for HD on a single BD.
Thanks given by:
Indiana Jones (05-11-2018), ManOfTheForest (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #106
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
And those are are also on the US set?

In another thread here I read the US set is ten discs and the German is 14 - is there a big difference in video and audio quality because of this? Or are the extra discs simply to justify charging a higher price? The show is old - does it really need 14 discs?
Yes the US set includes the extras found on the German set as well as a few more.

The Spanish release is 10 discs, the US release is 12 discs and the German release is 14 discs, the Spanish set really packed them in and as a result they had a low bitrate and lossy audio, the US and German sets with the extra capacity are definitely the better option as the bitrate is higher and they feature lossless audio.

The age of the show has no baring on the number of discs required, you could cram the whole lot on a single disc is they were compressed down to nothing but you wouldn't like the result.
Thanks given by:
ManOfTheForest (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #107
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
Remember a BD disk although having more capacity than a DVD needs more space as HD content takes up more space than the SD from a DVD. More resolution etc. means it needs more data to be saved.

Normally something like 4 hours of HD content depending upon amount of movement (moving needs more data than a static picture) is okay on a single dual layer 50gb BD.
The Spanish release of Brett’s Adventures of Sherlock Holmes for example crammed 13 episodes 7 + 6 onto 2 BDs so one had over 6 hours of content. That is getting up to the maximum you would want for HD on a single BD.
Okay, so what is usual number of TV episodes per disc for modern shows of a similar length?

What do you mean by the amount of movement? The action taking place in the episode or the menus on the disc?

Quote:
Yes the US set includes the extras found on the German set as well as a few more.

The Spanish release is 10 discs, the US release is 12 discs and the German release is 14 discs, the Spanish set really packed them in and as a result they had a low bitrate and lossy audio, the US and German sets with the extra capacity are definitely the better option as the bitrate is higher and they feature lossless audio.

The age of the show has no baring on the number of discs required, you could cram the whole lot on a single disc is they were compressed down to nothing but you wouldn't like the result.
can you list the extras on each set or give a screen grab?

I can find nothing on google.

I'm just trying to understand the technology behind it all.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #108
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Okay, so what is usual number of TV episodes per disc for modern shows of a similar length?

What do you mean by the amount of movement? The action taking place in the episode or the menus on the disc?
Okay a few points to start.
Sherlock Holmes was made in the era of around 52 to 55 minutes of programme in a 1 hour broadcast slot.

Today with more adverts and promotions, most shows on commercial channels in the U.K. and US are 45 minutes or less. However the likes of the BBC with no adverts only promotions tend to use full hour whilst premium US channels like HBO can have variable lengths as no restrictions.

So if you look at TV on BD today the companies considered the best for PQ like Sony tend to have 4 episodes per BD so around 3 hours, whilst Warner tend to be 6 episodes so that’s 4.5 hours and Mill Creek who are about low cost can cram 8 episodes so 6 hours on a BD.

These Spanish BD are for Adventures of Sherlock Holmes fitting almost 6 hours of content on one BD so at the worst end of the market for cramming content on a BD.

Regarding the movement issue you need to search online how video is compressed for both disk and TV. In simple terms you code and use data as pixels on the screen move. So my comment is something like a reasonably static drama or comedy of two people talking and not moving much as in something like Sherlock Holmes uses less data than a sci fi epic with loads of action and spaceships etc. wizzing around the screen, that needs a lot more data or needs to be more compressed so the picture can look blocky or break up so less smooth movement.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #109

Dec 2011

It's been nine months and no answer so I thought I would try again. From a previous post on page 5--

In short, I would like to know the following:

1) In The Three Gables, does the picture have an annoying "stutter" or jerking effect throughout? It looks as though frames are being dropped is the best way to describe it. The audio track does not manifest any concomitant deterioration however.

2) In The Red Circle and The Golden Pince-Nez, are there occasional issues with the AV sync?

3) In The Master Blackmailer does anyone notice any freakish effects in the audio track? The dialogue is normal but any other background noises e.g., horses trotting, birds taking to the wing at the beginning, etc. have an outlandish almost mechanical quality to them that is as annoying as it is hard to describe.

These are known issues with the MPI BD set like mine. I'd like to know if the Spanish set is plagued with the same defects.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone comment as to the quality of these programs on the foreign editions or suggest a place where I might actually be able to get this question answered?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #110

Sep 2019
Egypt
Send a message via ICQ to MamieMeers Send a message via AIM to MamieMeers Send a message via Yahoo to MamieMeers Send a message via Skype™ to MamieMeers
Default Sherlock Holmes ITV Series

I boycotted the so-called Sherlock Holmes on the basis that it is obviously so very unfaithful to just about everything I love about the works of Arthur Conan Doyle upon which it is not based. Ive no interest in seeing the sequel, either. Sometimes, I really detest Hollywood
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Spanish