Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
16 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
8 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
36 min ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$17.91
16 hrs ago
My Bloody Valentine (Blu-ray)
$24.05
16 min ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.46

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 11-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #21
Power Member

Aug 2015

Fwiw, something similar happened to me just a couple weeks ago. I purchased a 4K title and when I opened it, instead of the 4K disc, there was a "For Rental Only" DVD of Tim Allen's Crazy On The Outside *and* no digital code sheet.
Thanks given by:
JurassicBD (11-02-2019), Lemmy Lugosi (12-17-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #22
Special Member

Aug 2017

I had a problem buying Tomb Raider at Walmart once. Every copy they had in store had two dvds inside instead of a BD and DVD. But that was obviously a manufacturing error. Yours sounds like another case of amazon irresponsibly mixing third party resealed stock that they ship with their own genuine new stock. The question is did the third party vendor know what was inside or did some hood sell it to them that way. Regardless, amazon needs a way to trace these things to a vendor so that they can do something about it.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #23

Oct 2008

The last 3 catalog movies I bought from amazon and last one I bought from Best Buy online were used/resealed. The Amaray cases are always sealed in folded cellophane. The ones I got were heat shrinked. I sent them back because when they heat shrink an amaray case it also melts the clear sleeve and warps wrinkles into the case. That's why the don't heat shrink them. It might not have anything to do with amazon or best buy, but their vendor. Most older movies are recycled through the vendor and moved from one company to another if they're not selling. Regardless you can't trust amazon or best buy online anymore when buying a catalog release. When buying from ebay always buy items with photos and look for the folded cellophane and/or security sticker on the side. It's only $50 for a heat shrink machine and 1000 ft of wrap.

Steelbooks and box sets are the only ones I've seen heat shrunk from the manufacturer/distributor. If buying a Best Buy exclusive, it will have the Best Buy sticker on top of the heat shrink.

Wal-mart is another really bad one. If you go through the $5 bargain bin at wal-mart, you will see handfuls of titles heat shrunk, and keep looking you'll find the same title with most copies in cellophane. The vendor they use are re-sealing them and selling them as new. It's super annoying because there's $5-8 catalog titles I want that are on the website, but not in stores. So I have to wait for a title to come on ebay with a good photo of the cellophane.

Quick ebay search shows difference between a re-sealed blu ray vs oem

Last edited by rumpleminz; 11-11-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #24
Power Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

I've had 3 amazon titles turn up the exact same way over the past month.. not sure what the deal is? 2 had the flimsiest heat-wrap (almost cellophane?) while the other used the extra-crunchy kind but it's obviously it's been heat-sealed and not machine sealed. Not sure what the deal is? everything inside seemed okay.. but especially around this time when things are bought as gifts, if it looks like I bought a used movie and re-sealed it myself, it's hard justifying that full brand-new pricetag on it.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:29 AM   #25

Jun 2012

You'll see this even in brick and mortar stores depending on the titles. I don't think they are used but might ship unwrapped and up the distributor to do it. Or, they just use the cheaper shrink wrap to save money.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:58 PM   #26

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
You'll see this even in brick and mortar stores depending on the titles. I don't think they are used but might ship unwrapped and up the distributor to do it. Or, they just use the cheaper shrink wrap to save money.
I've been watching this for a couple of years now and I've yet to see a new release in an amaray case that was heat shrunk. I actually used to reseal Disks at one of the retail stores I worked at about 7 years back. We had a heat shrink station in the back room. This was a major retail store you see in every medium size town just fyi. Most stores across the US use Media Vendors for new releases and they are brought into stores using consignment, so if they don't sell, the vendor takes them back and moves them to another store and they don't get paid unless they are sold/stolen/lost/damaged @ the store. The vendor we used could care less if the disks were resealed because they did it themselves. I know this because I was the Inventory Manager and in charge of all Vendor returns. Most people have yet to catch on they are buying refurbished discs.

Last edited by rumpleminz; 11-12-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #27
Special Member

Aug 2017

If heat shrinking was a reliable indicator of rewrapped product, probably 50% of our collection would have had to have arrived re-wrapped, including recent Target preorders that shipped a week early to arrive the day of release. I suspect it has much to do with which replicator produced the product and the fact that studios have been trimming their overhead on physical for years, which is evident in all areas of production, not just the wrapping.

BTW, most studios haven't used security stickers on the outside of their cases for a while as well. Apparently retail theft of physical media isn't as big of a concern as it used to be. Far more discs are sold online than at brick and mortar due to better inventory and vastly larger selections. Of course the fact that it used to be cheaper got the ball rolling for online to cannibalize the market.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #28
Special Member

Aug 2017

Just got our first resealed "new" Blu-ray from amazon for the year (shipped AND sold by amazon). Off to a bad start. That's 4 in just 6 months! I've literally had better experience buying dvds off ebay back in the day when they were swamped with illegitimate bootlegs.

Last edited by JurassicBD; 01-24-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:14 AM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
Just got our first resealed "new" Blu-ray from amazon for the year (shipped AND sold by amazon). Off to a bad start. That's 4 in just 6 months! I've literally had better experience buying dvds off ebay back in the day when they were swamped with illegitimate bootlegs.
How is Amazon getting away with this?

I feel like a broken record but I'll say it again. I can't believe this is what we have to look forward to as Amazon continues to take over.
Thanks given by:
JurassicBD (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:35 AM   #30
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
Why do you believe it was resealed?
Old 01-25-2020, 04:46 AM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

The shrinkwrap is different. Most come from technicolor in Y sealed wrap, and resealed ones are heat sealed.

I ordered a digital antenna and it came with the box opened. I don't think it was used and it doesn't really matter, but that's not too professional on their part.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #32
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Why do you believe it was resealed?
One or two had digital codes that had already been redeemed, in addition to other signs of previous use. One had store chain stickers (presumably rental) on the case itself, underneath the shrinkwrap. This latest one just shows heavy shelfwear on the case itself, and as the other poster mentions the super flimsy shrinkwrap gives it away too. But the degree of case wear is what confirms it. The discs look fine. I don't know if the digital code is still good yet. Waiting for the person who uses our codes to check it out before I decide to return/exchange it, as they're half the reason I bought the movie. The case is busted too, but not so bad I can't live with that.

Last edited by JurassicBD; 01-25-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #33

Mar 2019

Quote:
One or two had digital codes that had already been redeemed, in addition to other signs of previous use.
What was the price?
Old 01-26-2020, 01:58 AM   #34
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
How is Amazon getting away with this?

I feel like a broken record but I'll say it again. I can't believe this is what we have to look forward to as Amazon continues to take over.
Amazon has a monopoly over Internet retail and margins on physical media are getting squeezed as the market wanes.

It's only going to get worse. I am just holding my breath until Amazon decides carrying new media is more trouble than it's worth and axes the entire department.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #35
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Amazon has a monopoly over Internet retail and margins on physical media are getting squeezed as the market wanes.

It's only going to get worse. I am just holding my breath until Amazon decides carrying new media is more trouble than it's worth and axes the entire department.
That must be what deepdiscount is counting on. Hopefully there'll still be enough third party sellers on amazon to offer some competition. As long as there's some rental surplus to liquidate, prices probably won't likely shoot up too high.

I checked out dvdempire the other day - just to see if they were still around; haven't bought from them in over a decade - and their prices were so high... Did DD's parent buy them too, like they did dvdplanet? I can't imagine anyone paying those prices. It's as if some big corporation is just keeping the lights on to make DD's prices look more reasonable.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #36
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
That must be what deepdiscount is counting on. Hopefully there'll still be enough third party sellers on amazon to offer some competition. As long as there's some rental surplus to liquidate, prices probably won't likely shoot up too high.

I checked out dvdempire the other day - just to see if they were still around; haven't bought from them in over a decade - and their prices were so high... Did DD's parent buy them too, like they did dvdplanet? I can't imagine anyone paying those prices. It's as if some big corporation is just keeping the lights on to make DD's prices look more reasonable.
I'm surprised DVDEmpire is still around too at those prices, but they've been that way for a long time now. I imagine it's their adult side which is keeping them in business.

Nope, DVDEmpire is owned by Ravana, LLC which is a small entity still in PA. DD, ImportCDs, PlanetDVD, etc. are all owned by DirectToU now instead of SDCD.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
I'm surprised DVDEmpire is still around too at those prices, but they've been that way for a long time now. I imagine it's their adult side which is keeping them in business.

Nope, DVDEmpire is owned by Ravana, LLC which is a small entity still in PA. DD, ImportCDs, PlanetDVD, etc. are all owned by DirectToU now instead of SDCD.
But Direct2U is a subsidiary of Alliance Entertainment which SuperD bought several years ago. They adopted the AEC name which was better known and moved the HQ from SDCD in CA to Florida into the AEC buildings. It was one of those odd transactions where a much smaller company acquired the larger company.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #38
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
But Direct2U is a subsidiary of Alliance Entertainment which SuperD bought several years ago. They adopted the AEC name which was better known and moved the HQ from SDCD in CA to Florida into the AEC buildings. It was one of those odd transactions where a much smaller company acquired the larger company.
Gotcha, I wasn't tracking or didn't remember that DirectToU was owned by Alliance. Either way, those sites and service seemed to have suffered after they went under the DirectToU brand.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2016

Got the shrink wrap on Call Me By Your Name blu and the right side of the cause was wrinkly/veiny.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #40
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeRunner View Post
Got the shrink wrap on Call Me By Your Name blu and the right side of the cause was wrinkly/veiny.
That's not a clear indicator of it being rewrapped though. We definitely don't need to make matters worse (force retailers to tighten their return policies for media) by being overly picky or jumping to erroneous conclusions. And there are already plenty of people who do that on amazon, judging by all the ridiculous reviews I've read.

Some replicators use the same type of heat wrap, only it's usually heavier grade plastic than what fraudsters use. Last year, I double ordered the latest season of Walking Dead by mistake. One from BB, the other from DD. One came with the folded wrap, in a Dubois, Scanavo, or Amaray case (can't remember which), the other with the heat wrap in a Viva case. It's not at all uncommon for producers to use multiple replication facilities for the same release.

I've also purchased 100 unit boxes of new Viva and Vortex replacement cases nearly a decade ago, that already had some units with wrinkled outer membranes. The cases were all new, and had never been wrapped. So, heat wrapping isn't the only possible cause of wrinkling.
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (01-30-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping