Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.21

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.10
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 04-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #1

Aug 2016
Default Total Recall 4K UHD (1990) (30th Anniversary Edition)

Total Recall 4K Blu-ray

Original message:
I am hoping they will release a 30 year anniversary 4K version of my favorite Arnie movie.

Last edited by MooneyRara; 11-20-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Thanks given by:
avenged110 (12-13-2019), brainofj72 (05-04-2019), Cherokee Jack (04-30-2019), Dailyan (04-30-2019), Gory (05-01-2019), StingingVelvet (12-18-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I keep on hoping someone will unearth the excised gore/violence from the initial version that the MPAA got to see and deprived us of some major Verhoeven OTT blood and guts.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (05-01-2019), heineken (09-16-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
I keep on hoping someone will unearth the excised gore/violence from the initial version that the MPAA got to see and deprived us of some major Verhoeven OTT blood and guts.
Yeah, I'll take a regular Blu-ray of that.

And it always bothered me to no end, that the MPAA actually got to see the stuff we as fans never got to see (and never will see). Not just Total Recall but each and every other movie that got cut because of the MPAA... Imagine that some people got to see the good stuff from The Crow, Friday The 13th Part VII, Cliffhanger and Hard Target for example...
Thanks given by:
heineken (09-16-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Yeah, I'll take a regular Blu-ray of that.

And it always bothered me to no end, that the MPAA actually got to see the stuff we as fans never got to see (and never will see). Not just Total Recall but each and every other movie that got cut because of the MPAA... Imagine that some people got to see the good stuff from The Crow, Friday The 13th Part VII, Cliffhanger and Hard Target for example...
Yeah those movies and many more
Die Hard 2 is one of those Harlin movies that got butchered.

a list of Verhoeven's movies:
Flesh+Blood : DVD/BD got the international version. Two versions existed
Robocop : DVD/BD got both versions. A theatrical and unrated. The latter not existing on homevideo or TV broadcast until the Criterion DVD if I'm not mistaken.
Total Recall : MPAA demanded cuts in order to get that R rating. For some reason that cut footage was never revisited when Paul Verhoeven was doing the remaster.
Basic Instinct : Two versions existing.
Showgirls : There used to be 2 versions, but I think all homereleases got the unrated version
Hollow Man : DVD had two versions, BD only the director's cut

So if you check this list only Total Recall doesn't have an uncut status at all.
I do hate that the MPAA usually decides how a movie looks like for the whole world.
They should always make the movie they want, spread it, and if it demands cuts in the US, let them have it, but leave the rest of the world alone.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

Oct 2015

Reportedly the deleted material from Total Recall was discarded. Hence no available b-roll to produce a director's cut.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color Correction View Post
Reportedly the deleted material from Total Recall was discarded.
Why do studios do that? Don't they know they can make a buck or two afterward with an alternative version?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko View Post
I do hate that the MPAA usually decides how a movie looks like for the whole world.
They should always make the movie they want, spread it, and if it demands cuts in the US, let them have it, but leave the rest of the world alone.
Distributors are responsible for which versions other territories receive. Total Recall was cut further in certain European markets.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
Why do studios do that? Don't they know they can make a buck or two afterward with an alternative version?
It devastates me because Total Recall is my favorite Verhoeven. And I sense the cuts in the R rated version.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
You're about 30 years too late with that comment. Studios routinely junked their stuff back in the day and that was just the major studios, never mind for movies like TR that were put together by an independent production company with a hodge podge of financing from across the world. 1990 was hardly the golden age of home video either, the studios and distributors were only just waking up to the potential value of selling us the same thing over and over again. They were still making bank, but the need for alternative versions to keep a few nerds happy didn't really get going until Cameron made it a thing.

Last edited by Geoff D; 11-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
Expert Member

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
They aren't thinking of the future. In 1990 people were renting VHS and there wasn't a market for an alternate version.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You're about 30 years too late with that comment. Studios routinely junked their stuff back in the day and that was just the major studios, never mind for movies like TR that were put together by an independent production company with a hodge podge of financing from across the world. 1990 was hardly the golden age of home video either, the studios and distributors were only just waking up to the potential value of selling us the same thing over and over again. They were still making bank, but the need for alternative versions to keep a few nerds happy didn't really get going until Cameron made it a thing.
Yep, and go back a few decades before that and studios were discarding the films themselves. It can really seem crazy, looking back from a modern preservationist perspective, how the mindset just used to be "throw it away."
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #13
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Aye. Some studios still kept a watchful eye on their crown jewels even back back back back in the day because they were so successful, like Warners keeping fantastic care of the nitrate three-strip negatives for Wizard of Oz for all these years, but in the main everything was just throwaway entertainment, there was no thought given to the archival and/or replay value of this stuff. See also TV studios wiping their recordings to save on tape stock which was going on right into the '70s.
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

I remember the new remastered looked quite good, so it will be interesting how much better this will look.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

So, Total Recall Ultimate Recall Edition UK BD did not look as good as I remembered it! It looks weirdly bright (over bright? ), compression is not that good and the colours often have a blanket teal look.

Also, my disc has always had an audio sync issue and I noticed that again....
I know this had a lot of ADR but this still looks off to me.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #16

Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
So, Total Recall Ultimate Recall Edition UK BD did not look as good as I remembered it! It looks weirdly bright (over bright? ), compression is not that good and the colours often have a blanket teal look.

Green not teal is inherent in the color grading. But since the modern preference for green is no longer Matrix green but teal, we should anticipant the 4K restoration to also use it.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #17
Banned

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post

Always looked terrible
Old 12-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #18

Sep 2014
Northeast U.S.

I prefer the less gore version anyhow, I think the film works better as a comic book sci-fi adventure film as opposed to grind house flic
Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #19
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color Correction View Post
Green not teal is inherent in the color grading. But since the modern preference for green is no longer Matrix green but teal, we should anticipant the 4K restoration to also use it.
There's genuine teal revisionism, but there's also "not magenta bias anymore" teal and "fluorescent lights are teal on film" teal.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists