Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Wildlife (Blu-ray)
$29.49
9 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
16 hrs ago
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Scorsese Shorts (Blu-ray)
$36.64
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 12-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #41
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

oof
Old 12-19-2019, 02:30 AM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
guessing it's a status thing to say look at me, I bought severely over valued coffee!
People always told me that once I start drinking quality coffee like Starbucks, I would never want to drink cheap coffee again. But I drank Starbuck's coffee and I have no problem drinking cheap coffee. Tastes the same to me...

Now instant coffee vs. brewed coffee.... now that's a different story.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #43
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2013
The Ocean State
-
-
-

Starbucks coffee is okay to me, but nothing spectacular. Nordstrom department store has the absolute best coffee to me.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Australia is big on coffee culture, it's often considered one of the best places in the world for coffee... To be honest, I've never heard anyone say anything good about North American coffee after visiting.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #45
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

I have never heard Australia and good coffee mentioned before. Heck, Iíve never heard Australia and coffee mentioned. Iíve heard Australia and Vegemite, Fosters, crocs, roos, redbacks, funnel-webs and Koalas. But not coffee.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I have never heard Australia and good coffee mentioned before. Heck, I’ve never heard Australia and coffee mentioned. I’ve heard Australia and Vegemite, Fosters, crocs, roos, redbacks, funnel-webs and Koalas. But not coffee.
Google "Australian coffee culture", "best countries for coffee", "is Australia the best country for coffee?", etc, and you'll find plenty of info and articles about it. We don't drink that Starbucks rubbish that's considering "premium" where you are. Starbucks failed here in Australia, a massive percentage of their stores here closed down, because they couldn't compete in our market:

Quote:
First, let’s talk about Starbucks. Because in 2008, they closed over 70% of their Australian stores, after taking a grande $143m loss. No-one was buying their coffee. Presently, there are just 22 locations in the entire country, making just under one per million people who live there. For a company that has opened an average of two new locations every single day for the last three decades, it was pretty brutal. In fact, Australia is literally the only country where they’ve ever had to scale back their operations. Because in short, Australians don’t buy crappy – or even average – coffee. Like we said, they make the best in the world

Last edited by Cevolution; 12-19-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #47
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
People always told me that once I start drinking quality coffee like Starbucks, I would never want to drink cheap coffee again. But I drank Starbuck's coffee and I have no problem drinking cheap coffee. Tastes the same to me...

Now instant coffee vs. brewed coffee.... now that's a different story.
Starbucks is cheap coffee. Anyone telling you it's some high quality brand of coffee has no idea what they're talking about. Just because it's being sold in stores for more than McDonald's doesn't make it better.

There are much higher end coffees out there, including many mentioned in this thread. If you actually want to experience the difference, then you're going to have to try them out for yourself. Coffee flavor also completely depends on how it's prepared and there are a multitude of ways to prepare it. It also depends on several other things like how fresh the coffee is, whether you're grinding the beans yourself, what kind of grinder you're using, what level of grind you're going for, what temperature your water is, what filters you're using, and on and on. It all makes a difference.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:05 AM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Starbucks is cheap coffee.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Starbucks is the most expensive coffee out there, by far.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #49
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree. Starbucks is the most expensive coffee out there, by far.
Please keep talking about things you have no idea about. A quick search on Amazon can show you that it's clearly not the most expensive coffee. In fact Starbucks can be had in retail stores for comparable prices to Dunkin donuts, and Target's own brand of coffee. But I wasn't even talking about pricing when I said cheap, I mean to quality of their coffee. They don't use higher end beans or roasting techniques.

Seriously, just do a little research, it won't hurt.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 12-20-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:35 AM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
In fact Starbucks can be had in retail stores for comparable prices to Dunkin donuts, and Target's own brand of coffee.
Huh??? Now you're not making sense. I know for a fact that Dunkin's coffee is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Starbuck's.

Unless maybe prices of Dunkin' and Starbuck's coffee are different here in NYC compared to other parts of the world.

Quote:
But I wasn't even talking about pricing when I said cheap, I mean to quality of their coffee.
I'm actually just a casual coffee drinker, so I admit to not being a coffee expert. But my dad is. He's a coffee addict and he's very very particular about his coffee. In fact, he doesn't even buy pre-ground coffee because he thinks freshly ground coffee tastes better. Well, my dad (the coffee expert) told me that Starbuck's is the best coffee he's ever had, especially their French Roast.

Last edited by MrHT; 12-21-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #51
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Huh??? Now you're not making sense. I know for a fact that Dunkin's coffee is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Starbuck's.

Unless maybe prices of Dunkin' and Starbuck's coffee are different here in NYC compared to other parts of the world.

I have no idea why you're having so much difficulty comprehending what I'm saying. I live in NYC, same as you, as you can clearly read from my location. I also specifically mentioned Target. Do you know what Target is? It's a retail department store. They sell Starbucks ground coffee, and it's very often priced for around $5.99, which is very often the exact same price that Dunkin Donuts, and Target's own brand (Archer Farms) sells their ground coffee for. Know how I know? Because I've bought them from there, and shop there all the time. There's more to Starbucks than just their coffee shops. Yes, Starbucks coffee shops charge more per cup than Dunkin Donuts' locations, but I specifically mentioned Target in my post.

Starbucks coffee shop isn't cheap, but they're also not the most expensive by a long way. Even in NYC there are plenty of specialty coffee shops that sell for more.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #52

Oct 2010
Kelso

A large cappuccino from Gregg's in the morning is the best. Gregg's is a large chain of bakers in the UK and they're amazing.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #53
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Grudge View Post
A large cappuccino from Gregg's in the morning is the best. Gregg's is a large chain of bakers in the UK and they're amazing.
I don't think I've ever actually had a cappuccino from Gregg's. I usually opt for either an americano or one of their speciality lattes.

Anyway, I'm probably biased because I work directly above one of them, but STARBUCKS IS LIFE. Only problem is I'm currently on a diet, so I've forsaken their delicious frappuccinos.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #54

Oct 2010
Kelso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I don't think I've ever actually had a cappuccino from Gregg's. I usually opt for either an americano or one of their speciality lattes.

Anyway, I'm probably biased because I work directly above one of them, but STARBUCKS IS LIFE. Only problem is I'm currently on a diet, so I've forsaken their delicious frappuccinos.
You should give them a try. Chocolate on top obviously. SO good. Love Starbucks too but there's none handy for me. Not tried one of their frappuccinos. Definitely will next time I'm at one. My nearest one(hour drive away) is like three doors down from my nearest HMV. So two birds with one stone maybe.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Last weekend, I went ahead and decided to buy a package of the pre-ground Pike Place Starbuck's coffee. When I tried brewing it myself at home, it doesn't taste the same as when I buy a cup of coffee at Starbuck's. First, it taste weak and a little burnt. Then I tried add more grounds and while it makes the flavor stronger, it still doesn't taste quite the same as when I buy from Starbuck's.

I tried using the Mr. Coffee machine and also using pour over brewing cone and both don't give me the right taste. I don't get it. One thing I didn't try is buy the whole beans and then grinding it myself. Could that be the problem?
Old 02-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #56
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

Quote:
Last weekend, I went ahead and decided to buy a package of the pre-ground Pike Place Starbuck's coffee. When I tried brewing it myself at home, it doesn't taste the same as when I buy a cup of coffee at Starbuck's. First, it taste weak and a little burnt. Then I tried add more grounds and while it makes the flavor stronger, it still doesn't taste quite the same as when I buy from Starbuck's.

I tried using the Mr. Coffee machine and also using pour over brewing cone and both don't give me the right taste. I don't get it. One thing I didn't try is buy the whole beans and then grinding it myself. Could that be the problem?
From what I know, Starbucks does NOT sell brewed coffee; they sell expresso beverages. Even their coffee (Americano) is watered down espresso, NOT NA style brewed coffee.

So if you buy the pre-ground coffee, it would certainly taste different. Even espresso made using Starbucks roasted beans would taste different depending on ground size, water temperature, pressure, extraction time, quality of water used, etc.

Personally, I use hand powered Wacaco espresso maker and it makes great espresso shots. There are inexpensive Italian pre-ground espresso coffee (about U$3 a pack, good for about 30 shots). You cannot beat that combo, flavour or cost wise.

Last edited by GRD43L; 02-06-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #57
Expert Member

Sep 2018
You don't need to know where I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney-2187 View Post
Now I'm researching coffee grinders. I see conical burr grinders are the way to go but they are pretty expensive ($75 - $100+) except for the manual ones that are around $20 - $30. I've read that blade grinders make too much dust and will clog the french press so I'll probably try one of the manual conical burr ones for now. Anyone here have any experience with these, good or bad?

UPDATE

I'm reading that the manual ones can take up to 5 minutes of manually cranking to make a couple cups of worth of coffee. Doesn't sound like that's for me. Think I'll try one of the cheaper bladed models for now and maybe advance to one of the better ones down the road.
I tried a blade grinder, have a manual as well as an inexpensive conical burr grinder.

Blade grinder is shit as you have no control over the size of the grind except the grind time.

Manual grinder is so slow and usually 1 portion at a time. It can take as short as maybe 20~30 seconds/serving. So if you have good arms (yes, 2, one to hold and one to crank) you can do 2 portions in less than couple of minutes.

Electric conical burr grinder is the most convenient BUT the grind quality, i.e. consistency, will depend highly on the grinder itself. I have a cheap one and it is a godsend. Pour in coffee, press button. Enough coffee for about 4 servings in 30 seconds or so.

All grinders produce fine powder/dust but I think expensive grinders generate 'less' while blade grinder generates the most. I am certain pre-ground coffees 'remove' the dust/powder before packaging.

For drip coffee, you can use any grinder. For espresso, only the best grinder or pre-ground coffee labeled as 'for espresso'. For Freedom presses, just about anything works. A lot of dust/powder simply means you press it slowly and requires little more effort.

Last edited by GRD43L; 02-06-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #58

Oct 2011
da hills of gawga

Can I make a good coffee suggestion? Death wish coffee, very tasty and strong! Good and rich! It’s a mix of arabica and robusta, noir a Hugh fan of the robusta but with the arabica its good.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #59
Banned

Mar 2019
Default Coffee.

Do you drink it? How often? Black? If not, what do you add to it? Brand? Ratio of water:grounds? What kind of coffee maker do you have? Or do you just buy it from Starbucks? Whole bean vs. ground? Organic or conventional? Decaf or regular? What lind of paper filter? Water filter?

I use a Mr. Coffee. Ratio I use is 4 Tbsp : 13 oz. water. I use the house brand from Dollar General which ends up being like 16 cents per ounce for the regular. I buy the decaf there too which is a bit more expensive. I drink regular every morning and decaf if its after noon generallt
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage