Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
21 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
9 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.54

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 11-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Feb 2011
Default Amadeus: Original Theatrical Cut

Hello Blu-Ray forum. I'd like to enlist you all in a cause for the preservation of a great piece of cinema. Help me create a groundswell to restore the original theatrical cut of AMADEUS - to be made available in the best video formats available. I would plead the editors and writers on this amazing site to provide me with contact information at Warner home video to champion the cause directly.

I may lose many of you on the merits of debating the quality of the original cut vs. the director's cut, but the original theatrical cut is the one that actually won the Best Picture Oscar and I think it deserves preservation for that reason alone.

Furthermore, and pardon my hyperbole here, but I believe the director's cut is an abomination, a bizarre act of self-destructive indulgence. Many of its most glorious edits and musical cues are lost - and some of its themes are mangled, taken from subtle effectiveness and bloated into overbearing preachiness.

Yes, those of us who loved the original may have temporarily enjoyed seeing several minutes more of footage, and enjoyed the expanded version upon its initial release. But the version that deserves to be re-seen and rewatched for posterity, is, and I will scream it from the rooftops, the original theatrical cut. I don't know if you've ever seen the two in close proximity. The original cut sings and moves along with a propulsive and delightful energy, with not a frame wasted. But the director's cut is a relatively turgid, dreadfully paced slog that frequently interrupts its own momentum to belabor points already made clear in the laser-sharp edition.

The vast superiority of the original cut aside, I think audiences should at least have the option to choose for themselves, and have both versions available.

This is my cinematic hill to die on. The Directors' Cut of Amadeus is an atrocity. The theatrical cut is one of the finest films ever made. People deserve the chance to see it in the highest available quality.

-Milton in Houston

P.S. and yes, I am aware of the irony that I find myself, metaphorically speaking, much like Emperor Joseph II telling Wolfgang after his opera that there are "too many notes," but I humbly suggest that Forman, as brilliant as a filmmaker as he was.... Milos was not Mozart. He's fallible, and his extended cut proves that.
Thanks given by:
atbodamer (11-11-2019), Blu-man08 (11-11-2019), Cremildo (11-07-2019), JEDGAR1000 (01-14-2020), karsten (01-13-2020)
Old 11-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Lol
Old 11-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

May 2008
Michigan

Thank you for this!
Thanks given by:
citizenmilton (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

This is one of the rare movies for which I prefer the extended/director's cut. But I'd still like a BD and/or UHD of the theatrical just because it deserves to be preserved. The music-only track would be nice, too.
Thanks given by:
citizenmilton (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenmilton View Post
I think audiences should at least have the option to choose for themselves, and have both versions available.
Amen to that.

I ordered the Amadeus BD (as well as The Patriot) many years ago, naively assuming that the original theatrical cut was included, but it wasn't. "Assuming makes an ass of you and me." I've never even bothered to watch the extended version. No interest.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
Amen to that.

I ordered the Amadeus BD (as well as The Patriot) many years ago, naively assuming that the original theatrical cut was included, but it wasn't. "Assuming makes an ass of you and me." I've never even bothered to watch the extended version. No interest.
That's a shame, because really all but 1 unnecessary scene are great and add nice depth especially in regard to Salieri's faith.

Obviously I agree the theatrical should be included (and for JFK as well), but threads on a forum won't ever get something released.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #7

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
threads on a forum won't ever get something released.
But what about an epic GIF thread on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/citizenmilton/st...40014170845212
Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #8
Banned

Aug 2018

OP, theatrical cut is available on an absolutely stunning laserdisc release. Which looks significantly better than the Blu-ray in colour. I refuse to watch this movie in any other version or format.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Absolutely, yes please. The pacing is destroyed in the extended.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:07 AM   #10

Jan 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
OP, theatrical cut is available on an absolutely stunning laserdisc release. Which looks significantly better than the Blu-ray in colour. I refuse to watch this movie in any other version or format.
Is it better than the DVD of the theatrical cut?

And I absolutely agree that the Director's Cut of this film is an unwatchable travesty and a desecration, and would love to have a Blu-ray of the theatrical.

In this it joins:
-Last of the Mohicans
-Troy
-Prince of Thieves

among movies for which I cannot stand the revised versions and can only watch the originals.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #11
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
Is it better than the DVD of the theatrical cut?

And I absolutely agree that the Director's Cut of this film is an unwatchable travesty and a desecration, and would love to have a Blu-ray of the theatrical.

In this it joins:
-Last of the Mohicans
-Troy
-Prince of Thieves

among movies for which I cannot stand the revised versions and can only watch the originals.
Laserdisc is much better than DVD.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

Oct 2017

I'm not sure if I'm willing to die on the hill with you, but I'll join the protest.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists