Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
11 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
17 hrs ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
5 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #721
Special Member

Aug 2009

spatafore 4k uhd isn't just 1080p compared to 2160. Proper 4k uhd has more colors. Have a look at a few 4k uhd titles on a complete 4k uhd system

If $90 to do a 1080p region mod is a con, look up rattlebyte who sell the mod kits, and let us all know how you get on fitting the mod your self.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #722

Oct 2016
Pittsville Maryland

I just bought my very first region free Blu-Ray player and it should be here tomorrow. I am super excited to grab some region B movies from Arrow. I got the Sony BDP-S1700 Multi Region/Region Free player from BomBay Electronics. Anything I should know or do before I hook it up tomorrow? Is it a good player? Should I avoid any firmware updates?
Old 01-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #723
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreepy X View Post
I just bought my very first region free Blu-Ray player and it should be here tomorrow. I am super excited to grab some region B movies from Arrow. I got the Sony BDP-S1700 Multi Region/Region Free player from BomBay Electronics. Anything I should know or do before I hook it up tomorrow? Is it a good player? Should I avoid any firmware updates?
Sony 1700 is a nice basic player -- simple and reliable.
Firmware updates shouldn't be a problem with the Bombay/220 Electronics Hardware mods.

I have a Bombay modded 6700 for several years and have done several updates without an issue.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (01-19-2020), stratford (01-25-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #724

Oct 2016
Pittsville Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Firmware updates shouldn't be a problem with the Bombay/220 Electronics Hardware mods.

I have a Bombay modded 6700 for several years and have done several updates without an issue.
Thank you for the info. I already ordered a couple region B titles. I cant wait to check them out.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #725
Banned

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:

The Sony 1700 is in my office and used often. I've had it for over a year and I love it. Good choice!
Old 01-20-2020, 02:13 AM   #726
Special Member

Jul 2015
FL, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
spatafore 4k uhd isn't just 1080p compared to 2160. Proper 4k uhd has more colors. Have a look at a few 4k uhd titles on a complete 4k uhd system

If $90 to do a 1080p region mod is a con, look up rattlebyte who sell the mod kits, and let us all know how you get on fitting the mod your self.
I don't understand your response but I have a Sony UBP-X800 for 4K UHD and Region A Movies. I need other for Region B movies.

Last edited by spatafore; 01-20-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:17 AM   #727
Special Member

Jul 2015
FL, USA

Quote:
You buy it new? if yes, just curious: are you happy $90 more for a player just because is region free? I mean the normal price of a S1700 is $50 bucks. BomBay price is $139 (same as 22electronics).

I possibly take the risk and go for the ebay 22electronics refurb.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #728

Jan 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatafore View Post
You buy it new? if yes, just curious: are you happy $90 more for a player just because is region free? I mean the normal price of a S1700 is $50 bucks. BomBay price is $139 (same as 22electronics).

If I understand correctly, they are all refurbished because they are opened and have hardware mods. I purchased the one from Ebay and have had no issues, just as others in this thread who have owned it for over a year
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #729
Special Member

Aug 2009

biggquis Yes to 'they are all refurbished because they are opened and have hardware mods'

spatafore So you are to chicken to buy the standard player and a region mod kit then fit it your self then?
Old 01-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #730
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

I opened my 6700 from Bombay to see what was inside. A circuit board with 6 wires soldered to the mainboard and some protective gum/epoxy over each solder point.

It looks pretty similar to the Rattlebyte Instruction sheet. The Rattlebyte Board is 50EUR (free shipping) and you do the soldering yourself.

It's not a simple remote code hack or add a board to a existing header on the board.
I'm not sure how much Bombay charges to mod a Player you buy elsewhere

$110 for a DIY. $125 New from Bombay with their 10% 1st time buyer discount, or $100 for their refurb unit. I can't say whether their refurbs are actually used or demo units or just b/c they've opened them. I've looked for a code to access the service menu to see if there is a way to check laser hours, but I've never been able to find such. I know many of the DVD players had such a menu, but I've never found it on the BDP

Last edited by hariseldon; 01-20-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
spatafore (01-21-2020), stratford (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #731

Oct 2016
Pittsville Maryland

Quote:

Yes I bought mine new. It just came today so I haven't tried it out yet. My region B movies have not got here yet so I cant test it. I will report back as soon as I do.
Thanks given by:
spatafore (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #732

Oct 2014

Quote:

I don't think I'd pay $90 more for a region free player, over a region B player.

Or are there astounding region C exclusives I'm missing out on?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 PM   #733
Special Member

Aug 2009

LUM did you read hariseldon's informed text about the region mod?
I believe Region A & B to be the more important, but no doubt some one will step forward soon enough with a boat load of Region C titles that are exclusives or superior in some way. Multi region allows people to make the best choices
Old 01-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #734
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

I'm not sure I've ever seen many C-locked discs except for some non English Friendly regional/local produced content. I'd guess the majority might be Indian produced content, a bit of Russian Cinema, and I guess there maybe some Chinese productions that are locked.

There also aren't any B Only players that can be bought for $50 and shipped to the US. There are some $85-100 items at AmazonUK that may be already multivoltage ready, but it seems you really are going a long way to save $20-25 on a less flexible unit.

The Sony 1700 UK equivalent appear to be around 70-75 shipped (a little over $90). I think this is multivoltage so you probably wouldn't need a stepdown transformer in addition.

Last edited by hariseldon; 01-21-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
stratford (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #735

Oct 2014

Perhaps. It's not like I can go pick out a player from a car boot sale, as they call it.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:27 AM   #736

Aug 2015
California

Quote:
Few days late here, but I've had this exact player from Bombay since November 2018. It's been great. And zero issues after firmware updates.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (01-23-2020), stratford (01-25-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 03:23 AM   #737
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
I'm not sure I've ever seen many C-locked discs except for some non English Friendly regional/local produced content. I'd guess the majority might be Indian produced content, a bit of Russian Cinema, and I guess there maybe some Chinese productions that are locked.

There also aren't any B Only players that can be bought for $50 and shipped to the US. There are some $85-100 items at AmazonUK that may be already multivoltage ready, but it seems you really are going a long way to save $20-25 on a less flexible unit.

The Sony 1700 UK equivalent appear to be around 70-75 shipped (a little over $90). I think this is multivoltage so you probably wouldn't need a stepdown transformer in addition.

The only two BD's that ever rang up as Region C for me were the Italian BD's of Hurt Locker and Rendition -- years ago. I think Hurt Locker came out in Europe when it was still playing in theaters here. But that was on my Momitsu region free player.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:09 AM   #738
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
The only two BD's that ever rang up as Region C for me were the Italian BD's of Hurt Locker and Rendition -- years ago. I think Hurt Locker came out in Europe when it was still playing in theaters here. But that was on my Momitsu region free player.
That makes even less sense with Italy being a Region B country though Italian discs have always been a little strange. Makes me wonder if those disc were imported (or copied) from some Asia country
Old 01-23-2020, 05:28 AM   #739
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
That makes even less sense with Italy being a Region B country though Italian discs have always been a little strange. Makes me wonder if those disc were imported (or copied) from some Asia country

I hope not, I bought them from Amazon Italy. I replaced the Momitsu-899 with the Sony I have now a few years ago. I have the domestic releases of those two films, so haven't watch the import versions in years.

The only thing I can think of was a malfunction with the player - since it was the type you had to key-in the region code every freakin' time you put in an import disc. This was also 10-11 years ago.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 AM   #740
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I hope not, I bought them from Amazon Italy. I replaced the Momitsu-899 with the Sony I have now a few years ago. I have the domestic releases of those two films, so haven't watch the import versions in years.

The only thing I can think of was a malfunction with the player - since it was the type you had to key-in the region code every freakin' time you put in an import disc. This was also 10-11 years ago.
Do you still have the Italian discs or know the UPC. If so, maybe retry in the Sony to see if it still acts like a C locked disc. I guess oddball things might have happened in 2008-2009.

I actually know of at least one Region B locked disc released in Regio C India (Ratatouille/Rat 3D). It was originally listed as Region Free, but turned out to be a B only disc since apparently the Indian company just used the UK files without correcting the lock

Last edited by hariseldon; 01-23-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders