Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
13 hrs ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$49.99
22 hrs ago
Idle Hands (Blu-ray)
$24.96
23 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Blu-ray)
$12.96
18 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #20001
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Netflix is not thriving; they have not made a profit since 2011. They are $12.43 billion in debt at the end of 2019 and they are projected to be in debt $14.5 billion by the end of 2020. Ever more competition, and some of it much more affordably priced, is not helping them, either.

Yes, their share price remains high while confidence in them endures, but they have not made a cent in 8 years and no can say with any certainty when, or if, they ever will.

If they're not thriving then they're heading on a downward slope? No, they are a juggernaut and they're not going anywhere.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #20002
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
If they're not thriving then they're heading on a downward slope? No, they are a juggernaut and they're not going anywhere.
I never said that they were going away; only that they have lost money every single year since 2011 and this year looks to be no different. They have nearly reached market saturation here in the U.S. as well. There are more competitors competing for streaming customers than ever before and that increased competition does not help them.

I think it far more likely that some company that actually makes money, and that has money to spend, such as Apple, Disney, Amazon, a big telecomm, will buy out Netflix in a future fire sale. As their history shows, it would not be the first time that Netflix has offered themselves up for sale. Netflix has borrowed over $1 billion dollars eight times in five years and their debt is growing faster than their number of subscribers. A company can only live on borrowed money for so long. Something has to change.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-19-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #20003
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
The issue is that Blockbuster did not change or adapt to the emerging trends, whereas Netflix did, and created several business models and platforms and they thrived.
they have not thrived they are not making any profit
Old 01-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #20004
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
but wasn't blockbusters thriving at some point in the past?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #20005
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
but wasn't blockbusters thriving at some point in the past?

Yes, and where are they now? I guarantee you if they had acquired Netflix for 50 million they would have squandered it all away and they still would have folded.

Netflix, like them or not, are game changers in the field.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #20006
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Yes, and where are they now? I guarantee you if they had acquired Netflix for 50 million they would have squandered it all away and they still would have folded.

Netflix, like them or not, are game changers in the field.
What Blockbuster woulda coulda shoulda done is immaterial and you can't guarantee anything about the performance of a company that effectively no longer exists. There were no streaming services when Netflix approached Blockbuster in the year 2000 with their hat in their hand and thus streaming was not a factor in that decision at all. Incidentally, you can not guarantee the performance of any company in existence today. You're in no position to guarantee anything anymore than anyone else here is.

It is not about liking or disliking Netflix, either. No one is disputing that Netflix is a streaming pioneer, but they still haven't made a profit since 2011. It is not about historical footnotes, award show nominations, or any other type of accolades, but about financial results and their financial results are a sea of red ink that is getting bigger, not smaller.

Other streaming services, such as Disney+, and others have many sources of revenue while Netflix essentially only has one and that single revenue stream is not enough. As more studios pull their content from them to run their own streaming services, Netflix has no choice but to create their own content and that is costing them a fortune. It is an expense that they will have to keep on paying as they have to rely on what they make themselves now and not what they can license from other studios. When they began streaming movies they relied entirely upon licensing content from the studios and they still lost money under that model and now that they have to make their own content they are really hemorrhaging money.

The studios have taken their toys back and they have gone home to start their own streaming services. Netflix faces more competition than they ever have before and they are doing so from the position of being massively in debt. That is not the place that they want to be fighting from.

The awesome irony is that the only part of Netflix's business that is profitable today is their disc rental by mail service, but that $47 million is not enough to make any headway against their $12.43 billion debt.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-19-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #20007
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Blockbuster was steamrollered by two things, way too late into the disc by mail business and the kiosk. Way back when a major Blockbuster shareholder sued them because they would not recognize his expertise in the kiosk business and move to install them.

Mitch Lowe (former Netflix exe.) was smart and moved to Redbox. Don't know if he had anything to do with the purchase of the kiosk from McDonald's (yes, the burger chain). Lowe did make a bad move going with MoviePass. Well, you can't will them all.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #20008
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Blockbuster was steamrollered by two things, way too late into the disc by mail business and the kiosk. Way back when a major Blockbuster shareholder sued them because they would not recognize his expertise in the kiosk business and move to install them.

Mitch Lowe (former Netflix exe.) was smart and moved to Redbox. Don't know if he had anything to do with the purchase of the kiosk from McDonald's (yes, the burger chain). Lowe did make a bad move going with MoviePass. Well, you can't will them all.
I worked for Blockbuster part-time for a short while to supplement my retirement income circa 2007 when I was still living in wildly expensive southern California. It was such a hapless company, a complete anachronism with two left feet and two hands that were all thumbs.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:09 AM   #20009
Power Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
I'll be buying discs until I die regardless. Even if they stop making new ones I'll still have plenty of old ones to buy. With more than 253,621 titles released on disc I'm sure that I'll always be able to find something good that's new to me.
Until you realize that about 200,000 of those are Hallmark Christmas movies.
Quote:
There's no chance I'll ever have to resort to streaming.
Hm, isn't the content what's important? There are some fantastic TV shows out there that are only available via streaming. Missing those because of format affinity seems backwards to me.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:04 AM   #20010
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Until you realize that about 200,000 of those are Hallmark Christmas movies.
Hm, isn't the content what's important? There are some fantastic TV shows out there that are only available via streaming. Missing those because of format affinity seems backwards to me.
That were funny!
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 AM   #20011
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
It's important that absolutely no one has the ability to take that content away. That's why streaming, broadcast TV, and cable TV are all inferior to physical media.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-20-2020), Vilya (01-20-2020), Wendell R. Breland (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #20012
Power Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
It's important that absolutely no one has the ability to take that content away. That's why streaming, broadcast TV, and cable TV are all inferior to physical media.
Well, I feel sorry for you if you're now missing brilliant stuff like Unbelievable, The Boys, or Dark because of that paranoia.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #20013
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Well, I feel sorry for you if you're now missing brilliant stuff like Unbelievable, The Boys, or Dark because of that paranoia.
If you're going to drop title names, please say where they are to be found. I don't stream often enough to know who has what.

I am willing to watch shows via streaming if that is my only option, but I will only buy shows that are released on physical media. To me, watching shows via streaming is no different than if I watched them on TV.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (01-20-2020), Steedeel (01-20-2020), Wendell R. Breland (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #20014
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
If you're going to drop title names, please say where they are to be found. I don't stream often enough to know who has what.

I am willing to watch shows via streaming if that is my only option, but I will only buy shows that are released on physical media. To me, watching shows via streaming is no different than if I watched them on TV.
I had the option of watching Chernobyl and Killing Eve through tv/pay tv but I bought the Blu-ray instead. Shows that sound really good I normally hang around for. Netflix is now part of Sky’s Q setup. It’s prominent on the front page. It backs up what you say, these streaming services are just pay tv under a different name.

Really enjoyed Chernobyl so far by the way.

Did you get around to watching the latest Twin Peaks series or (Like Laura did) are you waiting 25 years?
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #20015
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I had the option of watching Chernobyl and Killing Eve through tv/pay tv but I bought the Blu-ray instead. Shows that sound really good I normally hang around for. Netflix is now part of Sky’s Q setup. It’s prominent on the front page. It backs up what you say, these streaming services are just pay tv under a different name.

Really enjoyed Chernobyl so far by the way.

Did you get around to watching the latest Twin Peaks series or (Like Laura did) are you waiting 25 years?
I own Chernobyl on blu-ray and it is an excellent mini-series.

As for the Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series, I still haven't gotten around to it. As I doubt that I have 25 years left, I will have to get to it sooner than that. If someone would only bake me a cherry pie, I would likely dive into both.

I am only now getting ready to start binge watching Game Of Thrones; I never got past season 3 or 4 when it was broadcast on HBO. I haz so very many toys that it is easy for me to get sidetracked even with all of my free time.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #20016
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Got tired of waiting on Disney+ to add Dolby Atmos to the Nvidia Shield 2019 so I procured a Roku Ultra (4670R) and added it to the equipment rack. Last night watched Stars Wars IV - A New Hope in UHD with Dolby Atmos. Considering the sound elements are ≈ 43 years old I thought the folks responsible for the sound track did a really good job of creating a new immersive sound track. If the other five have tracks done this well then that makes the UHD disc purchase a done deal.

I was skeptical because of Disney’s (Marvel) track record of mediocre immersive sound tracks on many of their more recent releases.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #20017
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I own Chernobyl on blu-ray and it is an excellent mini-series.

As for the Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series, I still haven't gotten around to it. As I doubt that I have 25 years left, I will have to get to it sooner than that. If someone would only bake me a cherry pie, I would likely dive into both.

I am only now getting ready to start binge watching Game Of Thrones; I never got past season 3 or 4 when it was broadcast on HBO. I haz so very many toys that it is easy for me to get sidetracked even with all of my free time.
Get your ass in the kitchen and make a cherry pie! No excuse that!
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #20018
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Get your ass in the kitchen and make a cherry pie! No excuse that!
My oven's sole purpose is for baking a frozen pizza. Baking a frozen pie won't do as this series features pies that are supposed to be the stuff of legend. This bachelor by choice can't cook and he is too lazy to learn.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #20019
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Got tired of waiting on Disney+ to add Dolby Atmos to the Nvidia Shield 2019 so I procured a Roku Ultra (4670R) and added it to the equipment rack. Last night watched Stars Wars IV - A New Hope in UHD with Dolby Atmos. Considering the sound elements are ≈ 43 years old I thought the folks responsible for the sound track did a really good job of creating a new immersive sound track. If the other five have tracks done this well then that makes the UHD disc purchase a done deal.

I was skeptical because of Disney’s (Marvel) track record of mediocre immersive sound tracks on many of their more recent releases.
Well, that does sound promising!
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #20020
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
My oven's sole purpose is for baking a frozen pizza. Baking a frozen pie won't do as this series features pies that are supposed to be the stuff of legend. This bachelor by choice can't cook and he is too lazy to learn.
Try Mrs. Smith Cherry pie, IMO, pretty close to home made.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-20-2020), Vilya (01-20-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology