Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
13 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
14 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
14 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #41

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
I'm just hoping they'll be pressed on premium vinyl!

Same here!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #42

Feb 2010

My wife just bought me the Dylan Mono Box on vinyl for my birthday (which is AMAZING). She half-jokingly suggested I buy her the Beatles Mono in return. I thought I was dodging a bullet since the vinyl isn't out & the price of the cd box just dropped!

I'm guessing she won't mind getting her b-day gift a few months late - it'll be worth the wait!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #43
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Looks like Amazon UK has all the individual titles listed for September 12, 2011.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?url=search...+vinyl&x=0&y=0

Available for pre-order. No sign of box sets yet.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #44

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Looks like Amazon UK has all the individual titles listed for September 12, 2011.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?url=search...+vinyl&x=0&y=0

Available for pre-order. No sign of box sets yet.
Looks like I'll be having to put away some money every week to get these. I'm gonna wait until I hear on the boxsets though (if they'll even become avilable). Great news!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Seven seas

Is the difference between Let It Be/Naked really significant?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I love the Beatles and I love vinyl...

but I find it hard to get excited about vinyl being cut from the hi-res digital masters.

so basically it's the CD version, likely with some slight compression unless they split every album onto 2 LPs (i guess that would be 4 LPs for White Album and Past Masters)

maybe it's just me...
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #47
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

How would the 24/192 masters equate to being "basically the CD version"?

Rubber Soul runs around 17/18 minutes a side, why spread it over 2 LP's?

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-04-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #48

Jul 2007

Is it confirmed these remasters used the digital masters, and not the analog tapes?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Nothing has been confirmed yet. Michael Framer has stated he believes they're using the digital masters, but with the length of time it's taken I can only presume they're coming from the 24-bit/192kHz archives and re-mastering. From what I can gather the 24-bit/192kHz were archives made, then they were downsampled to 24/44.1kHz which is when the mastering was done for CD. If they were going back to the 24/192 archives they'd have to remaster again.

If they're 24/192 or analog I'm in, if they're 24/44.1 then I'm good with the 24/44.1 USB files (stereo) and the mono CD's.

I hope they do it right, the Mono CD's are really terrific and I can only imagine the vinyl from analog or 24/192 would be magic.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #50

Jul 2007

Quote:
Nothing has been confirmed yet. Michael Framer has stated he believes they're using the digital masters, but with the length of time it's taken I can only presume they're coming from the 24-bit/192kHz archives and re-mastering. From what I can gather the 24-bit/192kHz were archives made, then they were downsampled to 24/44.1kHz which is when the mastering was done for CD. If they were going back to the 24/192 archives they'd have to remaster again.

If they're 24/192 or analog I'm in, if they're 24/44.1 then I'm good with the 24/44.1 USB files (stereo) and the mono CD's.

I hope they do it right, the Mono CD's are really terrific and I can only imagine the vinyl from analog or 24/192 would be magic.
The MONO CD's are terrific indeed. I'm still holding out hope for the analogue remasters, especially considering that's what they used for the Paul McCartney remasters. And I would think he'll have a say in this.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #51

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
The MONO CD's are terrific indeed. I'm still holding out hope for the analogue remasters, especially considering that's what they used for the Paul McCartney remasters. And I would think he'll have a say in this.
+1. It would be amazing if they did use the analogue masters. I am really hoping for news about the release of a box set. I would probably end up getting the individual re-releases if no box set is announce, but wow... a box set would just be marvelous.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
How would the 24/192 masters equate to being "basically the CD version"?

Rubber Soul runs around 17/18 minutes a side, why spread it over 2 LP's?
the 24/192 digital masters will sound fine and dandy if you're listening to it from a digital source

if you try to cut that onto vinyl the grooves are going to collide unless some compression is applied (check out the Beatles' 20 Greatest Hits, 10 tracks on each side, sounds lifeless because of the compression required to fit 10 songs on 2 sides). they are either going to have to quiet those songs down A LOT or apply compression. although, if they split the albums onto 2 LPs this can be avoided as the grooves can be spaces as needed.

I've heard that it was hard enough to get Paul, Ringo, Yoko and George's family to agree to the remastering effort that resulted in the 2009 CDs. It's unlikely they would attempt another just 2 years later. Still, only speculation.

Last edited by nmycon; 05-04-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Seven seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post
I've heard that it was hard enough to get Paul, Ringo, Yoko and George's family to agree to the remastering effort that resulted in the 2009 CDs. It's unlikely they would attempt another just 2 years later. Still, only speculation.
Why wasn't Michael Jackson informed?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #54
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
the 24/192 digital masters will sound fine and dandy if you're listening to it from a digital source

if you try to cut that onto vinyl the grooves are going to collide unless some compression is applied (check out the Beatles' 20 Greatest Hits, 10 tracks on each side, sounds lifeless because of the compression required to fit 10 songs on 2 sides). they are either going to have to quiet those songs down A LOT or apply compression. although, if they split the albums onto 2 LPs this can be avoided as the grooves can be spaces as needed.
Sorry but this doesn't make any sense at all and I don't think you understand compression or cutting vinyl. "The grooves are going to collide"? That would result in the needle flying right off the record.

Mojo by Tom Petty is pressed from 24/48 files, nothing wrong with that record.

Making statements about the volume of the 24/192 files means you work at Abbey Road, because no-one else has heard them. Suggesting that vinyl cut from 24/192 is somehow undesirable is a suggestion that has no legs to stand on.

They absolutely DO NOT need to split the albums over two sides, unless of course you're suggesting that all the original 60's pressings from Parlophone yellow and gold are just rubbish? Not a single album up to The White Album (2LP) would have 20 minutes a side.

Quote:
Where did you hear that? They seemed to be golden when they did Love and they were all together on Larry King talking about it.

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-05-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Sorry but this doesn't make any sense at all and I don't think you understand compression or cutting vinyl. "The grooves are going to collide"? That would result in the needle flying right off the record.

Mojo by Tom Petty is pressed from 24/48 files, nothing wrong with that record.

Making statements about the volume of the 24/192 files means you work at Abbey Road, because no-one else has heard them. Suggesting that vinyl cut from 24/192 is somehow undesirable is a suggestion that has no legs to stand on.

They absolutely DO NOT need to split the albums over two sides, unless of course you're suggesting that all the original 60's pressings from Parlophone yellow and gold are just rubbish? Not a single album up to The White Album (2LP) would have 20 minutes a side.

Where did you hear that? They seemed to be golden when they did Love and they were all together on Larry King talking about it.
digital music cannot just be cut onto a vinyl record without reprocessing and remastering (again) the tracks for being cut to vinyl

if they were to cut even the tracks from the CD there would be issues with the groove spacing, especially on some of the songs with that "extra" bit of bass.

Obviously I am just speculating about splitting the albums over 2 LPs, but it seems like all of the labels are doing it with the remastered vinyl coming out (2x180g LPs) and it seems to be working pretty well in terms of sound quality.

As for the Tom Petty LP, i'm sure it sounds fantastic, but you really aren't getting any more "musical information" than you would listening to FLAC files of the album, so I still don't see the benefit...

I'm not saying that these digital-vinyl LPs will sound crappy, I'm just a bit disappointed they decided to go the digital route (although i do think it would have been quite a hassle to go analog) and most likely won't be picking up these LPs, whenever they come out.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #56
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
digital music cannot just be cut onto a vinyl record without reprocessing and remastering (again) the tracks for being cut to vinyl
The only reason it needs to be remastered is because the 24/192 files are an archive of the analog tapes with no mastering applied at all, they have simply not gone through the mastering stage period. It is NOT because they are 24/192 files.

Quote:
if they were to cut even the tracks from the CD there would be issues with the groove spacing, especially on some of the songs with that "extra" bit of bass.
Which tracks have that "extra" bit of bass? The Mono CD's were recorded dead flat with no eq'ing and mono makes cutting records infinitely easier.

Quote:
Obviously I am just speculating about splitting the albums over 2 LPs, but it seems like all of the labels are doing it with the remastered vinyl coming out (2x180g LPs) and it seems to be working pretty well in terms of sound quality.
There is a massive difference between most of the 50~65 minute albums being issued from the 80's~00's and The Beatles catalogue. Which 33.3rpm reissue are you aware of that has been spread over 4 sides of vinyl whose total running time is under 40 minutes?

Quote:
As for the Tom Petty LP, i'm sure it sounds fantastic, but you really aren't getting any more "musical information" than you would listening to FLAC files of the album, so I still don't see the benefit...
Who said there was a benefit? I saying that it is not detrimental.

Quote:
I'm not saying that these digital-vinyl LPs will sound crappy, I'm just a bit disappointed they decided to go the digital route (although i do think it would have been quite a hassle to go analog) and most likely won't be picking up these LPs, whenever they come out.
That's fine that you're disappointed, but your claims are unsubstantiated. It would be compression and eq'ing in the master that would cause vinyl to be an issue when cutting, if the source is not eq'd and compressed like a lot of today's music with only a couple decibels of dynamic range, lots of clipping, etc., then it would not require some tremendous amount of work. The Beatles masters do not suffer from any of this, so there is no need to put the single albums over 2LP's nor would the mastering engineer be cursing the producer for giving him an incredible hard master to work with that needs de-essing all over the place.

Great article about vinyl mastering here - http://emusician.com/tutorials/maste...nyl/index.html

A lot of which would support your points if they were, say, dealing with most modern CD's. Beatles don't fall into that category. The loudness war does.

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-05-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Is anybody here familiar with how music was processed before it was put on vinyl, back in the day? Vinyl LPs simply did not have good bass and treble. So EQ was applied to the 2-track master to boost bass and treble. When CDs first came out, they sounded terrible because record companies simply took the 2-track master that originally had been EQ'd for vinyl and digitized it. Since CDs have flat response, no special boosting is necessary. That's why many classic albums were later remastered for CD.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #58
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagast View Post
Is anybody here familiar with how music was processed before it was put on vinyl, back in the day? Vinyl LPs simply did not have good bass and treble. So EQ was applied to the 2-track master to boost bass and treble. When CDs first came out, they sounded terrible because record companies simply took the 2-track master that originally had been EQ'd for vinyl and digitized it. Since CDs have flat response, no special boosting is necessary. That's why many classic albums were later remastered for CD.
That's not my recollection of it. Lots of those early CD's kick their modern-day CD counterpart's butts. I still remember listening to Money For Nothing on CD in 1985 thinking "wowza!"
Old 05-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
That's not my recollection of it. Lots of those early CD's kick their modern-day CD counterpart's butts. I still remember listening to Money For Nothing on CD in 1985 thinking "wowza!"
Perhaps with the CDs you bought. Or perhaps you like having the bass and treble boosted to high degrees. Regardless, many audiophiles and recording studio engineers thought early CDs sounded harsh and attributed it to the RIAA and IEC "pre-emphasis" curves used on LPs. There are some that dispute that however.

I may have got that reversed. RIAA may have reduced the treble and bass and then the playback electronics reversed that.

Last edited by radagast; 05-06-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

most of the really early CDs were just straight transfers from whatever tape was available to the studio.

if they were able to get a first generation tape, the CD would sound awesome

if the studio was stuck using a 8th or 9th generation tape, the sound quality wouldn't be that great

the best examples of these are the WEA "Target Pattern" CDs from the early-mid 80's during CD's infancy

Shortly after this was when all of the digital "enhancement" came in and - for the most part - it's been downhill ever since
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music